Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade  (Read 27319 times)

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade
« on: August 22, 2008, 10:57:04 pm »
It is quite depressing when you think about the reality that many Filipino nurses,in guise of a clean white uniform and dollar accounts have become slaves in a foreign land alien to them.

corrupted_one

• Your Spy in the Hospital
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
  • Tender Loving Care
Re: Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2008, 11:18:38 pm »
Ang di lang makaka realize niyan e yung mga nurses na nag tatrabaho abroad. Pusta tayo, magiging defensive mga yan ;D

metal1369

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 11:24:44 pm »
sad but true

clickaway

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 9
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 11:33:42 pm »
im not a nurse pero i dont agree with your opinion.

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 11:55:31 pm »
can you blame them if they want to provide a good future for their families and those who depend on them? i mean for those who have the opportunity for a better life whould you not take it? kahit hindi in the nursing profession if the opportunity for a better future knocks won't you take it? magpakatotoo lang sana tayo

but you are entitled to your own opinion, i am a filipino nurse reviewing for my nclex through the financial support of my mother who is a US nurse so i find this very insulting kasi ikaw ba naman tawagin WHORE ang nanay mo na nagtratrabaho para sa kanyang pamilya 16 hrs a day 5 days a week

please note that since 2001 BUSH has been the president and not CLINTON and the value of the dollar is way down so get it out of your minds that just because its in $ denomination it has as much value as it did 10 years ago

i hope you realize na hindi lahat ng mga umaasa sa mga Nurse sa Amerika ganyan ang lohiko para TUMANGHOD lang ng $ para sa LUHO tulad ng bagong celfone, hindi lahat ng sitwasyon ng mga nurse sa amerika parepareho

nurses work hard in foreign lands not only for a better future for themselves and their families but to show that PINOYS are if not anything else THE GREATEST NURSES OF ALL, pumunta ka sa US or sa EUROPE and the first assumption people have if they find out you are pinoy os if you are a nurse

ALSO not only should nurses who work in foreign lands be offended by this... ALL NURSES SHOULD be the fact that your fellow colleagues are portrayed in such an undignified manner simply because WE ARE ALL NURSES where ever we are or who ever we serve, we serve man kind right and the last time i checked people who we serve in foreign lands are a part of man kind
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:08:06 am by MasterChief63 »

ServantGeneral (SG)

• GoldMember - GS1
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 53
  • Don't stop till you succeed!
  • Special Skills: testskills
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2008, 12:48:05 am »
Filipino nurses are highly respected here in the US. I don't know where this kind of impression is coming from.

Slaves? Yes maybe they work hard than Americans do, but you see nurses here they own the biggest homes and drive the luxurious cars.

Can they have that in the Philippines? Yes you may say these are materials things and this is about money, but who does not want money? Tell me.
I love Espiya.net. My grandma loves it too!

ButtGravy

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2008, 01:09:55 am »
It is quite depressing when you think about the reality that many Filipino nurses,in guise of a clean white uniform and dollar accounts have become slaves in a foreign land alien to them.

can you blame them if they want to provide a good future for their families and those who depend on them? i mean for those who have the opportunity for a better life whould you not take it? kahit hindi in the nursing profession if the opportunity for a better future knocks won't you take it? magpakatotoo lang sana tayo

but you are entitled to your own opinion, i am a filipino nurse reviewing for my nclex through the financial support of my mother who is a US nurse so i find this very insulting kasi ikaw ba naman tawagin WHORE ang nanay mo na nagtratrabaho para sa kanyang pamilya 16 hrs a day 5 days a week

please note that since 2001 BUSH has been the president and not CLINTON and the value of the dollar is way down so get it out of your minds that just because its in $ denomination it has as much value as it did 10 years ago

i hope you realize na hindi lahat ng mga umaasa sa mga Nurse sa Amerika ganyan ang lohiko para TUMANGHOD lang ng $ para sa LUHO tulad ng bagong celfone, hindi lahat ng sitwasyon ng mga nurse sa amerika parepareho

nurses work hard in foreign lands not only for a better future for themselves and their families but to show that PINOYS are if not anything else THE GREATEST NURSES OF ALL, pumunta ka sa US or sa EUROPE and the first assumption people have if they find out you are pinoy os if you are a nurse

ALSO not only should nurses who work in foreign lands be offended by this... ALL NURSES SHOULD be the fact that your fellow colleagues are portrayed in such an undignified manner simply because WE ARE ALL NURSES where ever we are or who ever we serve, we serve man kind right and the last time i checked people who we serve in foreign lands are a part of man kind
im not a nurse pero i dont agree with your opinion.
Filipino nurses are highly respected here in the US. I don't know where this kind of impression is coming from.

Slaves? Yes maybe they work hard than Americans do, but you see nurses here they own the biggest homes and drive the luxurious cars.

Can they have that in the Philippines? Yes you may say these are materials things and this is about money, but who does not want money? Tell me.

P P P P P PAWNAGE!

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Re: Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade (Clarification)
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2008, 01:17:51 am »
To Masterchef and Sargeant:

You don't understand what you are viewing about (referring to image).
Before you the  two of you talk,try to analyze the image.
I can't belive that one of you is reviewing for an NCLEX but you can't understand simple and understandable image.
You are asking if where this impression came from?

Too bad you know nothing about world history.
Before,the slaves were the blacks from Africa.America used them for trade so they can be slaves of these Imperialist Caucasians.
Now,the phenomenon is undeniably with regards to diaspora of Filipino nurses.
I myself is sympathetic to these overseas filipino worker.
That's the reason why I was able to do such an image,to express my deepest sympathy to these kababayans.

There's a proper way of deconstructing an image.
YOu have to analyze what does it connote.

Hollywhore refers to the Imperialist UNITED STATES where AIDS and other dreaded diseases came from.His citizens,especially president Bush is one of the prestigious whore in the history of mankind.
Can't you see,instead of Hollywood,its HollyWHore?
That symbolizes USA my dear friend!

Gino

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2008, 01:33:24 am »
Portraying your hard-working kababayans with an image that begets mockery... You call that sympathy? And deconstructing an image for what it connotes? Don't mock our intellects here, boy.

If we go by your incompetently flawed premise, we can conclude that WE ALL ARE SLAVES! Slaves to ourselves, slaves to others, slaves to the corporate world, slaves to religion and the Catholic Church, slaves to God, slaves to so on and so forth.

You yourself ARE A SLAVE TO LIFE, and I'm pretty sure that many here will be happy to end that slavery for you.

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Re: Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade (money matters?)
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 01:35:16 am »

Yan lang ba mahalaga sa iyo? Pera at kotse?
Kawawa naman ang nanay o ate mo na nurse kung sakali.
Masaydo ka nasisilaw sa pera.

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 01:38:02 am »
Portraying your hard-working kababayans with an image that begets mockery... You call that sympathy? And deconstructing an image for what it connotes? Don't mock our intellects here, boy.

If we go by your incompetently flawed premise, we can conclude that WE ALL ARE SLAVES! Slaves to ourselves, slaves to others, slaves to the corporate world, slaves to religion and the Catholic Church, slaves to God, slaves to so on and so forth.

You yourself ARE A SLAVE TO LIFE, and I'm pretty sure that many here will be happy to end that slavery for you.

Hey Boy,

You still cannot figure out what you are viewing about.
I can't believe for such a simple image you don't get what it means.
Make your own image and make your own thread sa people will talk about it.
This is freedom of expression.

MasterChief63

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 01:47:57 am »
from what i understand SLAVES are forced to WORK for unreasonable conditions, can you call one who is willing to work for fair amount of financial compensation a SLAVE???

so your point is that NURSES who CHOOSE to WORK in the US CHOOSE to be SLAVES and as you call them WHORES???

YOUR ANALOGY IS WAY OFF BASE since the SLAVES of the days of PAST PRIOR TO PRESIDENT LINCOLN(a great American might i add) were ALL BOUGHT FROM SLAVE TRADERS and were FORCIBLY SHIPPED TO THE "WHITE MAN'S" land to work for SCRAPS of food IN WHAT YEAR NOW? oh the days LONG LONG AGO and who freed said same slaves... was it the british or the african-americans? no it was a WHITE MAN with his EMANCIPATION PROCLAMATION:
http://showcase.netins.net/web/creative/lincoln/speeches/emancipate.htm

NURSES who would like to work in the US for a better future, SLAVES/WHORES as you call them need SOME REQUIREMENTS AS ALL JOB APPLICATIONS DO to prove COMPETENCE IN WORKING IN SUCH A FIELD, the LAW dictates(i believe in EVERY COUNTRY ON EARTH) that foreigners must follow specific steps to gain entry in the land they want to visit(ergo TOURIST VISAS are required as the LAW dictates) and same goes with the desire to WORK and LIVE in said lands NEED to follow the proper STEPS to show COMPETENCE(NCLEX and IELTS/TOEFL) that they are capable of providing the highest quality of service

and a part of the PIC YOU SEEM TO IGNORE IS THAT iPhone "quote" you even failed to explain the relevance of it in this pic, are you saying ALL THOSE WHO DEPEND ON NURSES WHO WORK FOR $ ONLY USE THAT MONEY FOR LUXURY? how about those of us who used it for School, Food, Electricity, Water, Clothing, a Roof over our heads?

unfortunately THIS PIC DOES NOT DEPICT THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AS THE MONSTER WHO IS TREATING FILIPINO NURSES AS SLAVES RATHER ITS CLEARLY SAYS FILIPINO NURSES WORK IN THE US FOR DOLLAR$ FOR THE GREEDY CHILDREN THEY PROVIDE A FUTURE FOR

hhhmmm i wonder if here in the Philippines as 60 year old Grandmother can work in Jolibee... i guess AMERICA is so much of a MONSTER to let that same old woman work Part-Time in Karl's Jr since her children are at work and her grandkids are at school and she is bored when she is alone at home so she works to keep herself busy... yep at a Karl's Jr near my house there is a Lola working there and when we asked her why she said she was bored home alone so she wanted to work and gave her earnings to her grandkids... but i guess in your opinion SHES JUST ANOTHER SLAVE/WHORE
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 01:51:22 am by MasterChief63 »

Gino

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2008, 01:51:03 am »

Hey Boy,

You still cannot figure out what you are viewing about.
I can't believe for such a simple image you don't get what it means.
Make your own image and make your own thread sa people will talk about it.
This is freedom of expression.

How old are you, boy? 20+? Graduated high school just 10 years ago? Then you are still a boy who know nothing about life. Go get some experience first and get your ass whooped before you try to sound off as someone with an air of authority.

Yes, it's a simple image alright. A simple image that makes a mockery of our hard-working kababayans by portraying them as pathetic indigenous creatures which needs protecting.

So what are you saying now? You have the right to the freedom of expression and I don't? I am merely voicing my opinion about your work, which also coincidentally falls under freedom of expression. The very same freedom of expression which you cling to dearly, while trying to revoke my own.

Tsk tsk, that is clearly a sign of DOUBLE STANDARDS.

Hypocrite...

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2008, 01:53:53 am »

Walang insulting sa image.It is even sympathetic to Filipino Nurses as a whole.Mas insulting pa nga ang mga babaeng pino post dito na hindi nila alam pinagpe pyestahan na pala ang katawan nila dahil ninakaw ang kanilang letrato kung saan saan.
Kayo nga member ng site dito at isa sa mga inaabangan ninyo ay ang mga naglilitawang singit at suso ng mga babae.And then you see an image that reflects the prevailing socio-economic condition ng mga Filipino,mag rereklamo kayo na ipatanggal?
Nakakatawa kayo.
Mahiya naman kayo.

Kawawa ang mga OFWs sa makitid na utak na ganyan.

TO GINO,

Walang insulting sa image.It is even sympathetic to Filipino Nurses as a whole.Mas insulting pa nga ang mga babaeng pino post dito na hindi nila alam pinagpe pyestahan na pala ang katawan nila dahil ninakaw ang kanilang letrato kung saan saan.
Kayo nga member ng site dito at isa sa mga inaabangan ninyo ay ang mga naglilitawang singit at suso ng mga babae.And then you see an image that reflects the prevailing socio-economic condition ng mga Filipino,mag rereklamo kayo na ipatanggal?
Nakakatawa kayo.
Mahiya naman kayo.

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
To GINO: Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2008, 01:54:31 am »

To GINO,
Nakakatawa kayo.
Mahiya naman kayo.

MasterChief63

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2008, 01:57:22 am »
if thats how you see this pic we see it in a different way, we are as you said entitled to our own opinions, still you have ignored the relevance of that iPhone qoute

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
To Pathetic Gino who is older than me:Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2008, 01:58:28 am »
You call the Aetas pathetic indigenous creatures?
Mukhang matanda ka na nga sa tono ng pagsasalita mo.

And you are even racist!
They are not just mere creatures.They are Human beings,pure Filipinos you scumbag.

MasterChief63

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...

And you are even racist!
They are not just mere creatures.They are Human beings,pure Filipinos you scumbag.

pssst quote mo naman kung sino sinasabihan mo nito kasi di naman ata maganda manginsulto ka na hindi mo specify

again still waiting for you iPhone Quote relevance

um hinay hinay lang kasi RULES here in Espiya clearly states that insulting other members or verbally attacking them is not tolerated... paalala lang
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 02:04:48 am by MasterChief63 »

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2008, 02:06:39 am »
if thats how you see this pic we see it in a different way, we are as you said entitled to our own opinions, still you have ignored the relevance of that iPhone qoute

The caption is a written in Capampangan.
Mommy (referring to the Nurse) ,
Padalhan mo naman ako ng pera
pambili ng bagong cellphone.
Kasi ung classmate ko may bagong I-PHONE.Sige na naman.

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0

And you are even racist!

Sorry,I am referring to GINO.
I just can't accept it.He calls the Aetas as pathetic creatures?
I thought he is sympathetic to Filipinos?He is racist I guess!

My image is sympathetic to Filipino nurses.And the whore is simply the USA.
That is quite very simple.

The Aeta simply symbolizes the poor Filipino,if not at all,most Filipinos.
pssst quote mo naman kung sino sinasabihan mo nito kasi di naman ata maganda manginsulto ka na hindi mo specify

again still waiting for you iPhone Quote relevance

um hinay hinay lang kasi RULES here in Espiya clearly states that insulting other members or verbally attacking them is not tolerated... paalala lang

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
To Racist GINO:Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2008, 02:16:57 am »

And you are even racist!

Gino

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2008, 02:18:53 am »
How is it sympathetic? Anyone who looks at your image wouldn't give a second guess at how it mocks the Filipino nurse.

And you deliberately took my statement out of context. I said "YOU are portraying them as pathetic indigenous creatures who are in need of protection." No offense to the Aetas, but the sensationalists such as yourself have portrayed them as such so many times and for so long that it is hard to remove the connotation that such an image evokes. Are they pathetic? No. Are they in need of protection? That is debatable. But obviously, the connotation your picture evokes is just that. Saying that Filipino nurses are just pathetic slaves that need protection and SHOWING that by using a picture of an Aeta in a nurse uniform is downright cruel. Who's being the racist now?

Fallacy: Kayo nga member ng site dito...
Fact: Eh ikaw? Nde ka ba member ng site na to? You're being more and more of a hypocrite by the second, boy.

Who are you to say: "Kawawa ang mga OFWs sa makitid na utak na ganyan"? Nurses abroad are better off abroad, materially, emotionally and sociologically. The same can be said of a majority of skilled workers working in foreign lands. Most have migrated abroad because they are simply sick and tired of the living conditions here in our country. So how are they "kawawa"?

I'll give you a logically correct example of kawawa: Nurses - and an overwhelming majority of workers - here who are working long ungodly hours, to be paid only the minimum wage. So, who's the greater slave master now?

I'm not old, and even if I were, atleast I'm not young and stupid.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 02:23:33 am by Gino »

jokjok maton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
To MasterChief Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade (positivistic)
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2008, 02:22:27 am »
I know what you mean.Why don't you analyze the image Bro.
My girlfriend is also a nurse.

And I can feel who hard and tedious their job is.
That is the reason why I came up with the image.

Gino

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
Re: To MasterChief Filipino Nurse and The New Slave Trade (positivistic)
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2008, 02:25:09 am »
I know what you mean.Why don't you analyze the image Bro.
My girlfriend is also a nurse.

And I can feel who hard and tedious their job is.
That is the reason why I came up with the image.

Then why not use the picture of your girlfriend instead, since you are so passionate about it?

b0ler0

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 99
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2008, 02:27:25 am »
Jokjok, allow me to sympathize with your girlfriend-nurse and call her a "whore" and a "slave."

(Of course, I didn't mean that and I apologize to your lovely girlfriend, but I have to say it to make you realize the errors of your argument.)