Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: MYMP duo is breaking up  (Read 2141 times)

leightot

• Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 270
  • BEA SUZY! ftw
MYMP duo is breaking up
« on: November 08, 2009, 08:43:12 am »

Win some, lose some?
It’s true.
The other night, the duo M.Y.M.P. (Make Your Mama Proud) Juris Fernandez and Chin Alcantara won the top award for Group Artist of the Year at the first Philippine Movie Press Club (PMPC) Star Awards for Music held at the Sky Dome of SM North EDSA.
It was a happy-sad victory for the duo who wasn’t present at the awards. Instead, it was talent manager Noel Ferrer who received the trophy on their behalf.
“I was asked to do the honor by the manager of M.Y.M.P.,” said Noel. “The manager told me to get the trophy kung sakaling manalo ang M.Y.M.P.”
Noel called up the manager to congratulate him and M.Y.M.P. and that’s when he got a little shocker.
The manager thanked Noel and said, “Congrats sa album natin. Pero ‘yon na ang last nina Juris at Chin as a duo. Juris is going solo.”
Sad, isn’t it? As the song goes, some good things never last...
“Nalungkot ako,” sighed Noel.
Funfare did some sleuthing and here’s what I dug up:
Juris quit the duo after Chin “booted” her and her manager Carla Lozada out due to disagreement over an “exposure” in the A.S.A.P. Sessionista.
Added Noel, “Juris is slated to launch her long-overdue solo album under Star Records, with five songs produced by Chin. The other original cuts were done by Jimmy Antiporda, Ryan Cayabyab and Gary Valenciano.”
No, Juris won’t be using her M.Y.M.P. “connection” anymore.
According to Noel, Chin told her, “Magkakamatayan tayo kapag ginamit n’yo ang pangalan ng M.Y.M.P. But what’s in a name? The people are after Juris’ voice, not so much the duo’s name. She will sound just as well even under another name.”
But still, Juris and Chin still have commitments as a duo until end of this year and they will honor them, thank you.
“Juris is excited about her new career as a solo artist,” assured Noel. “She’s looking forward to a happy brand-new year.”
Meanwhile, Chin is looking for a new partner.

http://ph.news.yahoo.com/star/20091031/tel-m-y-m-p-breaks-up-dd408b0.html

jpetrucci_02

Re: MYMP duo is breaking up
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2009, 08:50:35 am »
Panu naman kasi palagi nasa ASAP si juriz, nagsosolo rin na kumanta kasama cla Sarah, mukang nagustuhan nya dun ehhe..

metal1369

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 10:01:41 pm »
sana nga alagaan sya ng asap/abs cbn para d naman masayang un pag solo nya.

brochador

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 1
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2009, 12:11:18 am »
Sus, nagbanta pa si chin.. Si juris lang naman talaga nagdadala sa kanilang duo. Palagay niya pag wala si juris, me MYMP pa din?

Master Dave

• Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 153
  • Master of none
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2009, 12:16:37 am »
Sus, nagbanta pa si chin.. Si juris lang naman talaga nagdadala sa kanilang duo. Palagay niya pag wala si juris, me MYMP pa din?

ayaw lang nya ipagamit yung pangalan dahil tribute sa nanay ni Chin yung pangalang MYMP..

2fear!

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 44
  • Espiya - tapukanan sa DDS!
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 10:36:56 am »
halos kasi kanta ng mymp... si chin ang nagko-composed...

kung mag sosolo si juris...

wala din... hindi rin yan papatok...

paano kasi.... style nya... parang yeng at nina yung style...

common na! baka magsawa na mga tao... sa ganyang estilo!

juan pablo

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 25
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:28:33 pm »
halos kasi kanta ng mymp... si chin ang nagko-composed...

kung mag sosolo si juris...

wala din... hindi rin yan papatok...

paano kasi.... style nya... parang yeng at nina yung style...

common na! baka magsawa na mga tao... sa ganyang estilo!

I really doubt that, essentially almost all of their songs are covers they have very few originals. Plus, in my opinion, yes they were packaged as a duo but you can make the argument that you can put any good sessionist (guitar) in place of Chin, make Juris a solo artist from the start and the result would be the same (sisikat pa din siya).

I agree though that her style is very common nowadays, but just like great showbands, those kind of style would always have a place to play as long as they perform better than the average performers.