Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: U.S. Presidential Elections 2008 - Who's your preferred candidate?  (Read 2194 times)

JesusNinja

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
  • The Real "Holy Ghost" buster
    • For the open minded people
Who is your preferred candidate and why?

I personally prefer Barack Obama for prioritizing individual liberties, his strong stance on the economy and for emphasizing the ending of the Iraq war. Obama also not takes a side just to gain the support of the religious right - something that is very admirable. H prefers that issues be open to argument and be amenable to reason.

My favorite Obama quote:

Democracy demands that the religiously motivated translate their concerns into universal, rather than religion-specific, values. It requires that their proposals be subject to argument, and amenable to reason. I may be opposed to abortion for religious reasons, but if I seek to pass a law banning the practice, I cannot simply point to the teachings of my church or evoke God's will. I have to explain why abortion violates some principle that is accessible to people of all faiths, including those with no faith at all.”
- Sen. Barack Obama, 6/28/06
(emphasis, mine)

Inaccurate Reporter

• ABB Detainee
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
Re: U.S. Presidential Elections 2008 - Who's your preferred candidate?
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 06:22:44 am »
i dont care....

qtaw2

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 07:47:54 am »
^^^ tama talaga ang name mo sa sagot mo. very relevant and accurate! ako obama rin ako kasi mas ok talaga mga prinsipyo nya at magaling din vice nya

-=Kurabo=-

• Patience is a Virtue but Time is Gold
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 48
  • Kurabo
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 08:25:04 am »
Obama rin kaso unang sabak nya pa lang sa pagiging senador tapos takbo agad syang presidente?

it ain't over. . .till its over

rydhel1016

• Be Without Fear in the Face of Your Enemies. Be Brave and Upright that God May Love Thee. Speak the Truth Even if it leads to Your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
    • Sexy Friendster Girls
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:39:46 am »
I dont really care as well. or perhaps ive forced myself to not care about it. Kasi if you look at it, parang mas gusto mo na lang maging Amerikano kaysa Pinoy based on whats happening sa elections at politics sa Pinas.

kikomaching1

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 14
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 02:23:40 pm »
mccain dapat ang manalo! pag si obama, too risky. unang-una, he's black. what do people know about black people? pag mabait, mabait. pag gago, gago talaga. it may sound like im a racist pero just think of what might happen. i have friends who are black and for them, when you're black, you get priority. parang erap. una walang kai-kaibigan, walang kama-kamaganak pero ano nangyari? too many other reasons. bahala na si batman! hehehehe

Lusok

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 27
  • Wa ko mangahadlok ninyo mga CHICKEEENNNN!
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 08:29:04 pm »
McCain kay tambok ug aping!!!!Obama bata pa!!!!
Palin pampaotog otin!!!Biden laylay otin!!!!

McCain-Palin Rulez!!!!!!!!
Iring-Iring ta beh...Pakambrasa ko beh meowwww...

peepaz

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2008, 08:46:32 pm »
It's funny when I read replies like these. If we really didn't care, why bother cluttering the thread which wouldn't really help move the topic forward save to increase the post count?

Being dismissive of the topic because this makes us want to become Americans instead of being Pinoy is a huge cop-out. You definitely want to know what's going on because this is America. People belonging to nations such as ours must especially watch the political development of the United States because we base our foreign and, sadly, local policies based on theirs. And don't forget the Pinoys in America who will directly be affected by this. Apathy here reveals a worse character flaw, laziness.

But enough of that.

I choose McCain. Obama is a very excellent speaker. He outshines McCain in that respect. But that's all there is to him, eloquence and rhetoric. I like the sound of individual liberties. If I were an American, that would definitely ring close to home. After all, who wouldn't want a micromanaged nation government that cares for your needs? McCain's policies point to economic reform on the macro level - where I believe it should really start. One can argue that he should strike at the basic unit of the economic engine which is the American worker. But this falls short when you consider America's position in world politics. If it were not a major player (like when it helps nations like ours to stay afloat), then it would have been easier to say, "just keep our resources to ourselves, give jobs to our workers and secure our own borders". What the world does not realize is that if America chooses to leave them alone with their affairs, they'd find themselves in deep trouble as they can no longer depend on a democratic nation to police their ruthless dictators and their fascistic governments.

I also find it curious that you've mentioned about Obama's strong economic stance. I find no strength in a person who wishes to submit the decisions that affect his nation to the approval of their "European allies". I find no fault in collaboration but again, as a world power, some decisions have to be made which can be unpopular and against the majority.

McCain did emphasize the end of the Iraq war. But by all that's good. Send the soldiers back home with dignity and honor lest you pull off another Vietnam. And again, it's preserving the peace. They pull out, the Shiites and the Sunnis will kill each other. Iran takes over Iraq and will be within striking distance of America's allies in the Middle East. Bring them home, I agree. But bring them home as winners.

My huge chunk of cents.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2008, 08:51:29 pm by peepaz »

rydhel1016

• Be Without Fear in the Face of Your Enemies. Be Brave and Upright that God May Love Thee. Speak the Truth Even if it leads to Your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
    • Sexy Friendster Girls
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 01:29:56 am »
It's funny when I read replies like these. If we really didn't care, why bother cluttering the thread which wouldn't really help move the topic forward save to increase the post count?

Being dismissive of the topic because this makes us want to become Americans instead of being Pinoy is a huge cop-out. You definitely want to know what's going on because this is America. People belonging to nations such as ours must especially watch the political development of the United States because we base our foreign and, sadly, local policies based on theirs. And don't forget the Pinoys in America who will directly be affected by this. Apathy here reveals a worse character flaw, laziness.

See, forums arent just for self expression. Its a place to get ideas from all sides regarding a certain topic. Why give a reason to your preference of McCain? Its because you want others to see it too and get them convinced in the process. Thats why I bothered to post that I forced myself not to care, and the reason for it.

The question for this thread is "Who is your preferred candidate for the US Elections?" Will my preference have a bearing on the results? If it were the Philippine elections, Id probably write a thousand posts just to convince as many people as possible that my preferred candidate should win. Because there, I can make an impact (even if just a small one) on the results. But the US elections?

Aaaah, laziness....You know, if Obama wins, and your post turns out to be correct, that the US government will just keep to themselves and stop supporting our country, then we'll finally see that the real lazy guys are those that want the president of the US to reform on the macro level because the Philippine people gets better lives with it. PGMA cannot be made responsible for the welfare of Thailand, or Sri Lanka, or Bangladesh. PGMA's job is to the Philippine people only. The same applies to the US President.

Again on laziness.... Basing our policies on the policies of others, that is laziness. If the Pinoys in the US be thrown out, then the lazy ones go back home and keep whining and hoping and praying that a McCain comes along to rescue their lazy lives. But the hardworking ones will not care who the next US President will be. If they get kicked out, they'll go to other countries, or build businesses here in the Philippines, or work here. To them, the US elections is just a TV show that wont really affect their lives. In case you do not know it, you build your own life.

Come November 4 the difference between you and me is that if Obama wins, I wont feel as hopeless, and mind you, the people that lose hope are those that know themselves to be lazy.

Smitty Werben Man Jensen

• Once I met this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy...
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 56
  • who knew this guy's cousin!
  • Special Skills: Necromancy
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 05:13:28 am »
McCain para World Domination! toast:: The End Begins! ;D More Oil Wars to come

peepaz

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 02:00:14 pm »
@rydhel1016,

Thank you for your spirited reply to my post. It's good to see such people in this forum. However, I would like you to qualify some assertions that you've made regarding what I've written in this thread.

I'll begin with this:

Its because you want others to see it too and get them convinced in the process.

What did you mean by me convincing our readers? I find two paths to this. One would be that I wrote to convince them (the readers) that my preferred US Presidential candidate is John McCain, which is redundant since the opening statement of my first post here clearly points out who my choice is. The second meaning could be that I'm convincing them that McCain is the my choice and that they should choose him as well because of the qualifications I have stated in favor of the man and because of what apparently is lethargic in his contender. I'm inclined to believe that you employed the second meaning because of what I read in the next paragraph.

I look at it and I find it quite interesting. It is plain naivete to assume that our preferences do not affect the US electoral results. You mentioned that you would "probably write a thousand posts just to convince as many people as possible that my preferred candidate should win" had this been the Philippine elections. And when you say "post", I assume that you mean posting in Internet blog sites, forums, message boards, etc. and not putting up banners, stickers, pictures and/or posters on physical walls. Now, if you meant the Internet kind of posting then why should making a (cumulative, for simplicity's sake) thousand posts on various online fora all over the Internet not make a difference in the electoral results?

And I think it's safe to assume that you have a relative who lives in the US, or you have a friend is related to someone living in the States. You also might have American friends here and they in turn have their friends who are back in America. Now, if you voiced out your preference to one or all of them, shouldn't that send a ripple (no matter how minute) that could stir the US electoral results? Now do you see the difficulty posed by your position?

Let's talk about the third paragraph of your reply. The statements made here are quite misleading because they make too many wrong assumptions. To say that my statement of America going the way of "just keep our resources to ourselves, give jobs to our workers and secure our own borders" would be Obama's policy of governance is myopic. My statement was a mere simplification that partly held some of what Obama advocated (e.g. giving the locales jobs) What I merely wanted to point out was that the macro policies of McCain would allow America to keep its own engines running while not abandoning the commitments it had made to the same allies that Obama was trying to outwardly appease.

I would even venture to say that it's overly simplistic to have your nation keel over and keep to itself while the world's in a crisis. Or worse, give out concessions that you would definitely regret (read: talks with Iran without pre-conditions, of all things! In the latest debate, he wobbled on this)later.

Another wrong assumption would be to equate the foreign diplomatic work of the Philippine president with that of the US president. That is not an apples to apples comparison. It doesn't even come close. Everyone would certainly agree that PGMA (and the Philippines, for that matter) cannot be made responsible (note the meaning used in "made responsible") for the welfare of its neighboring nations. This is valid because they cannot expect the Philippines to help her neighbors because we ourselves are in a pretty bad shape, economically speaking.

But the same CANNOT be applied to the US. They are a world power. They are surely capable to helping others and they have chosen to do so (an admirable deed that is being watered down under the banner of self-preservation).

Then, yet again, naivete and wrong assumptions plague the fourth paragraph. Only the uninitiated in international relations and foreign policy would not believe that the Philippine foreign policy has been based (ever since 1946), on the US foreign policy. I'd hate to admit this fact but it is there. And whoever said that the Filipinos in the US would get kicked out? They'd most likely jettison those who've not earned the right to stay (or work) in the United States through legitimate means. Unless of course,you frown upon this as well. In which case, there is no discussion at all regarding your view about "foreign policy". "Kick the foreigners out because we want to be self-sufficient" as your take on their possible "foreign policy" is borderline racist, mind you.

Your assumption of the "hardworking ones" not caring who becomes the US president is a classic burden of proof fallacy. It literally begs the question. How can you safely assume that this is true? Have you actually asked a substantive number of "hardworking ones"? Because last I checked, those hardworking Filipino friends of mine in the US who are nurses, engineers, doctors, professors, elementary teachers, students, chefs, waiters, salespersons, pastors, musicians, painters, architects, web developers, seamen, soldiers (US Rangers and Navy) (need I go more?) carefully watch the news every day. Their local publications have opinions and queries regarding the elections. They talk about it over coffee, through their blogs, they chat and they write their friends via emails, they talk to their relatives here about it too. Because they want to intelligently make a choice. To trivialize it by calling it a mere "TV show" to them would be insulting. Because they DO care.

And your takeaway paragraph. Two things. One, eye-opening. This reveals the truth on your stance. You claim to not really care whoever wins the US elections. But your rather frequent references to Obama shows how skewed your arguments are towards him. By default, there shouldn't have been any argument at all as we've seen how easily you change sides.

Two, you assumed that I would feel more hopeless should Obama win. Never did I mention in my first post that I would have greater or lesser hope with the outcome of the US elections. You indirectly equate my choice of person for the US presidency with laziness with which I find much irony given the brevity of your discussion and yet it is riddled with fallacies. Then you conclude with a statement that begs the question yet again by saying that "people that lose hope are those that know themselves to be lazy". (I tried to Google that phrase up seeing it in quotes and thinking it might be said by someone in authority. You can exercise the same diligence by typing the entire quote in Google's search engine and see what I found) I won't even go into how that is fallacious. Thus,

hopeless = lazy.

According to you, if Obama wins,

me = more hopeless than you.

But

you = less hopeless than me >= hopeless = lazy.

That makes you a tad better than I am on the laziness scale.

Great.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2008, 02:39:28 pm by peepaz »

Lusok

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 27
  • Wa ko mangahadlok ninyo mga CHICKEEENNNN!
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 07:47:22 pm »
Heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee   peepaz pa bilib!!!maski unsaon nimog english-english dira gina skip ra gyapon imong reply!!!taas kau makabwisit basahon!!!lolo nimo kabalo mi bayot ka!!!!!rhydel ayaw nag tagda na pasikat lang ng bayota na!!!!!

P A K Y O P E E P A Z!!!!
Iring-Iring ta beh...Pakambrasa ko beh meowwww...

rydhel1016

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
    • Sexy Friendster Girls
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2008, 12:37:49 am »
Nope, I dont have relatives there, sorry to disappoint you.

If you were in favor of Obama, Id have make my argument skewed towards McCain. I was only trying to make a point that we (those who cant vote on the US elections) cant really make an impact on the US elections and therefore its pointless to have a preference, much more campaign for them. What im saying is you can only make your move when the results are already official.

The Philippine president for example, is not endorsing any of the candidates. In fact, all the other leaders of all the other nations are just there, waiting for the results. You say that Obama may gain Europe's approval, but Europe isnt actually endorsing Obama. When do these countries make their move? Its when the elections are over...and I share the same sentiment.

Those who cant vote cant choose what they can have. They have to look at what's given and make the most out of it.
Thats how you do not lose hope.

But enough of that. Ive already said enough for a topic that, like I said, I cant make an impact on.

Oh, and next time, dont mock other people's post, which is why I have 3 posts on this thread instead of just 1. You're free to disagree and argue about someone's post, but do show a little respect. 

gkhan

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 15
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2008, 03:11:25 am »
World leaders, big business and interest groups all do have a stake in the US elections. They don't speak about it but they make contributions to the parties depending on their stand on certain issues.  That's why you even have a Mark Jimenez contributing to Bill Clinton's party before just as the owner of a big Indonesian bank was also indicted for political contributions.  Jewish groups do make big contributions altho most are in Israel just as Japanese institutions or Chinese interests give substantially in order to get business or patriotic concessions later.  America's position is unique cause any sneeze always affect the world economy altho privately, I always tell people that it has no effect on us since the Philippines is the richest country in the world and we can always weather any economic storm. 

Any leader's act or pronouncement is always a product of his education and experience.  They may have their policy advisers but at the end of the day, the final decision will depend on their own gut feel.  For Obama, what can you say of a guy who spends millions for his campaign, yet, can still allow his own father in Africa to continue living in the slum area?  For me, that speaks much of the guy for how can you take care of the USA, much less the world when you can not even take good care of your own family?

A policy of Obama is to bring the jobs to America to uplift their economy.  That means call centers have to be operated in America to give jobs to blacks, to minorities, etc.  That translates to a lot of backroom operations in India, Ireland and the Philippines to be relocated back to the Mainland. ON the other hand, McCain believes that globalization will work better for America because the world will have a market for their goods and it is for US interests to support the countries that supplies the US with the goods they need.

It is a political campaign and rhetorics will be flying left and right.  You will hear motherhood statements which mean nothing.  America is basically big business and for its own good, its leader has to be someone who will bring the economy back to its feet. Morality, good governance, transparency, etc. are nice ideals but running a government is not just being popular flaming the populace with textbook ideas. It needs someone with hands on experience running an operation with military precision and not a tyro with no executive experience.

kicakepucake

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 26
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2008, 03:42:57 am »

John Mc Cain, I don't think the whole world is ready to be ruled by Black, Si Abraham Lincoln at John F. Kennedy nga pinatay dahil isa sa kanilang programa ay ang pag suporta sa karapatan ng mga itim,hindi pa sila lahing itim, iyon pa kayang itim na mismo ang magiging presidente ng Amerika.Maaring malakas si Obama at may posibilidad na manalo pero nakakalungkot ang pwedeng mangyari sa kanya,we all know how dangerous the CIA's are,having a lot of top secrets and conspiracy. 

JesusNinja

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2008, 06:58:38 am »
For Obama, what can you say of a guy who spends millions for his campaign, yet, can still allow his own father in Africa to continue living in the slum area?  For me, that speaks much of the guy for how can you take care of the USA, much less the world when you can not even take good care of your own family?
What? Obama's father has been dead for 26 years. Source

A policy of Obama is to bring the jobs to America to uplift their economy.  That means call centers have to be operated in America to give jobs to blacks, to minorities, etc.
He's planning to limit outsourcing and instead give those jobs back to Americans (not necessarily minorities).

That translates to a lot of backroom operations in India, Ireland and the Philippines to be relocated back to the Mainland.
I agree. Now our college graduates can get a a career in what they have studied for in 4 or more years of college education, and not wasting their skills, knowledge, creativity and future job career development to outsourced jobs (which consist mostly of call centers).

ON the other hand, McCain believes that globalization will work better for America
McCain, one of the five U.S. Senators involved in major corruption scandal back in 1989 ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keating_five ), was also responsible for supporting Bush's "less regulation" economic policies, which in turn, resulted in the current major economic crisis. Coupled with McCain's plan of 100+ more years in Iraq (which btw, has not been proven to support or comply with Al Qaeda, nor have WMDs been found there), I think this will IMHO, contribute more to the weakening of the U.S. economy, which in turn will affect Philippine businesses.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 02:44:16 am by JesusNinja »

JesusNinja

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 08:32:02 pm »
Breaking news: Obama has been elected the winner of the 2008 U.S. Presidential Elections. He will be the 44th President of the United States of America.

More info:
Obama Wins Elections
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/11/05/us/politics/05campaign.html?bl&ex=1226034000&en=ed50bf72c5e6eaea&ei=5087%0A
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 08:36:17 pm by JesusNinja »

Idiot

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 64
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 09:39:14 pm »
people now are more observant and emotional sa mga nangyayari sa paligid nila unlike noon hindi

Kaya it is impossible na patayin si OBAMA

A policy of Obama is to bring the jobs to America to uplift their economy.  That means call centers have to be operated in America to give jobs to blacks, to minorities, etc.

not necessarily dahil mas magastos ang labor sa states kaysa sa mga asian countries, ang daming mga benefits na kailangan ibigay sa mga nagtatarabaho sa states tapos may bayad pa ang overtime. Unlike sa Pinas per month ang sahod sa States per ora ang sahod

kung ibabalik nila ang BPO sa mainland maraming mawawalan ng trabaho sa PInas
I disagree kay Jesus Ninja na pinoy can pratice what they studied sa college ang problem ay puro practice wala naman nakukuhang trabaho.

Mga Physical therapist na lang hindi lahat ng hospital nag hihire sila ng PT saan ang bagsak nila sa mga SPA

Mga nursing ngayon wala narin makuhang trabaho dahil puno na ang mga hospital hindi rin sila maka pag abroad dahil naubos ang pera ng magulang dahil sa mahal ng tuition saan ang bagsak nila mas worst service crew or manager sa smalltime na company na sumasahod lang sila ng 12,000 pesos or less

mga civil engineer natin wala rin makuhang trabaho at pumupunta sila sa middle east at ang nakakalungkot pagdating nila duon walang makuhang trabaho especially sa Dubai

mga teacher natin especially yung wala pang license saan ang bagsak nila sa mga private school na sunod sunuran sila tapos minsan underpaid pa sila dahil wala silang license

mga comsci ngayon kung nakapag aral sa smalltime na school ang bagsak nila magtayo ng computer shop minsan lugi kapa

mas maganda na ang BPO at least may bridge ang mga gustong mangarap