Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Brave decision Angelina Jolie on double mastectomy  (Read 1909 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Brave decision Angelina Jolie on double mastectomy
« on: May 14, 2013, 12:47:40 am »
Angelina Jolie writes about decision to have a preventative double mastectomy in stunning op-ed, and how it can save lives.  ::flowers

She says:

I have always told them not to worry, but the truth is I carry a “faulty” gene, BRCA1, which sharply increases my risk of developing breast cancer and ovarian cancer.

My doctors estimated that I had an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 percent risk of ovarian cancer, although the risk is different in the case of each woman.

Only a fraction of breast cancers result from an inherited gene mutation. Those with a defect in BRCA1 have a 65 percent risk of getting it, on average.

Once I knew that this was my reality, I decided to be proactive and to minimize the risk as much I could. I made a decision to have a preventive double mastectomy. I started with the breasts, as my risk of breast cancer is higher than my risk of ovarian cancer, and the surgery is more complex.

But I am writing about it now because I hope that other women can benefit from my experience. Cancer is still a word that strikes fear into people’s hearts, producing a deep sense of powerlessness. But today it is possible to find out through a blood test whether you are highly susceptible to breast and ovarian cancer, and then take action.

She writes that her chances of developing breast cancer have dropped from 87 percent to under 5 percent, and that although the decision to have a double mastectomy was not an easy one, she did it for her children. Having lost her own beloved mother to the disease, she says "I can tell my children that they don’t need to fear they will lose me to breast cancer."

i love you Angie!

raginghormones

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 89
Re: Brave decision Angelina Jolie on double mastectomy
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2013, 12:59:41 am »
wow..kudos to her..really a great parent for her kids. im thinking how will she and her hollywood career be without those boobies?

BaTistAbomB

• unleash the BEAST
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 176
  • I'M ON VACATION ;)
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2013, 01:11:32 am »
oh dear...not your boobies dear angelina jolie..my original SIN  :o well there's always implants after it..

*Colt-CIS /.45, M16 Baby, Glock 18C..GunBan Exempted Security*

sweetbayag2

• mahirap labanan ang katamaran, nakakatamad kasi
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 53
    • wag ka makolit, pumpyangen keta jan eh. . . .
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2013, 02:51:41 am »
brave decision  :applause :applause
ang pagbabalik http://pickourbricks.com
http://stores.ebay.com/pickourbricks
di nako bastos, negosyante na po ako

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2013, 03:33:50 pm »
Please, join me in weeping for humanity on the basis of the tweets below  ::) Instead of seeing the beauty and bravery in Angie's decision, there’s thousands of people making comments about her breasts themselves. Some joking, some serious, some speculating that her partner will leave her because she’s somehow less of a woman without her natural breasts, some just plain offensive: sexist, misogynistic and holyeffing whoa chauvinistic.

#RIP Angelina's boobs #RIP Society !