Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: say hello to the Fresh and New Philippine DRM law ala RA8293  (Read 6421 times)

• Don One
  • Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Re: say hello to the Fresh and New Philippine DRM law ala RA8293
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 10:23:12 am »

David Dizon, ABS-CBNnews.com
Posted at 02/14/2013 7:24 PM | Updated as of 02/14/2013 7:39 PM

MANILA – Bringing in books from abroad is not banned and jailbreaking an iPhone does not necessarily constitute a crime, the head of the Intellectual Property Office (IPO) said Thursday.

Speaking to ANC, IPO Director General Ricardo Blancaflor denied claims that amendments to the Intellectual Property Code will now ban Filipinos from bringing home copyright materials such as DVD movies, music CDs and books from abroad. The alleged prohibitions were cited in a blog by journalist Raissa Robles.

The IPO chief also denied that “jailbreaking” or tweaking any device such as an iPhone or iPad to run third-party apps is automatically a crime.

“No. It is not a crime. You see, copyright infringement under our laws – you have to prove that there was infringement. The mere fact that there was jailbreak or downloading does not constitute a crime,” he said.

“Jailbreaking is not a crime. It has never been a crime under the old law or the new law. The bottomline is – you have to have a formal complaint from the person being infringed and of course a finding of infringement. The mere fact that an act was done, I will not even refer to it as jailbreaking, it could be any other form, does not mean it is a crime already. If at all there is a finding to that effect, it will only be an aggravating circumstance but the main element of the crime which is infringing has to be proven first.”

He also described as “unfounded” fears that Customs personnel can now block ordinary passengers from bringing in books from abroad.

He said the new code actually deletes a provision on Section 190 that limits Filipinos to only three (3) books when coming from abroad.

“We took that provision out and now you can bring as many as you can as long as 1) you are not infringing and 2) they are covered by fair use. Personal use is one of the samples of fair use,” he said.

Blancaflor said that in the past, a balikbayan bringing in 10 books from abroad could be stopped by Customs because of Section 190 of the IP Code.

Now, he said Filipinos could bring as many books as they want, provided that there is no copyright infringement and the books are for personal use or for educational purposes such as libraries or universities.

He also said he is even willing to send a memo to Customs not to stop Filipinos from bringing in books provided that they do not infringe on copyright.

The IPO chief denied that the amended Code states that Filipinos could be held liable for unknowingly sharing files that are “infringed material.”

Blancaflor said the Act to Amend the IP Code only seeks to strengthen the Code while protecting the Philippine creative industry. He said the amended IP Code sets up a legal framework that ensures due protection for the work of Filipino creatives.

He said this covers material such as local TV shows that are shown abroad.

“We’ve always gone after the same people, the pirates and the infringers. We are not running after the ordinary consumers. We are not running after anybody in particular. We are preparing the Filipino creative industry to go forward,” he said.

“Broadcasting is a related right of copyright. As Filipino programs and Filipino shows go abroad, we have to have some kind of protection when they go abroad. We are all in one having an international broadcast treaty,” he added.

Blancaflor said the amendments do not give the IPO additional rights under the existing IP Code but only additional enforcement powers. He said that under the new code, the IPO can make visits and conduct inspections.

“You know, we are reacting strongly to something that is completely false. People should stop, relax and review the provisions carefully. The amendments are all very pro-Filipino,” he said.

meteor freak

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 46
  • "Live free" ('5')
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 10:34:18 am »
Baka naman pati pag download ng mga free applications and softwares ipagbawal na din.
Life is not about the people who act true to your face,

It's about the people who remain true behind your back.

• Don One
  • Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 10:45:59 am »
Kung free as in open source..walang problema yun ...pero kung free dahil dinownload mo sa torrent//mediafire etc... matagal nang bawal yun..pero BUNGI yung batas dito sa Pinas :)

l33t_matt

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 12
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2013, 11:12:43 am »
question lang po...

pati rooting bawal? paano po yung mga nagpa root ng device para ma-improve ang battery life? madami din naman kasing apps na installed ng phone company pero useless at nag-consume ng battery life.

cute_boyz

• Member 2004-2005 since Pinoyspy Days!!!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 8
  • pussy licker:chikboy=mahilig sa batang chicks
    • Beta Kappa Fraternity
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2013, 11:15:43 am »
this is crap...

sino ba author ng batas na ito...

Pakipost lahat ng may kinalamn sa batas na to,,

pakisama na yung Cybercrime para alam ko na yung hindi ko iboboto sa eleksyon....

Long live BETA KAPPA FRATERNITY!!!visit us at http://engmak.webs.com

• Don One
  • Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2013, 12:12:03 pm »
this is crap...

sino ba author ng batas na ito...

Money Villar bro:)

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2013, 12:32:24 pm »
Baka naman pati pag download ng mga free applications and softwares ipagbawal na din.

take some time to think about what you just posted, go on, please, think  about it...

Dairycow

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • MOOOOOOO!
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2013, 12:35:29 pm »
question lang po...

pati rooting bawal? paano po yung mga nagpa root ng device para ma-improve ang battery life? madami din naman kasing apps na installed ng phone company pero useless at nag-consume ng battery life.

Android is open source, siguro hindi siya sakop ng bill na ito kung mapipirmahan

carlocarr

• "Impossible is Nothing but You Cant Do Everything"
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 26
  • The Underwater Heartbreaker
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2013, 12:47:26 am »
matagal ng mali ang pirata at panghahack.. anu ba kinagalit ng iba? na hinde na kayu makakalibre? ako rin apektado, pero anu ba inaasahan ko eh bawal talaga yun date pa..
For more post visit here:http://finetimey2c.blogspot.com

dweizz

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 35
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2013, 03:57:41 am »
imagine hinuli lahat ng jailbreakers... wala na consumer mga telecomms... malulugi telecomms... wala na rin tayo lahat cellphone service ... balik landline na lahat... dahil sa batas umurong ang technology... ang saya...

ang dapat unahin nila huluhin yung mga gumagawa ng apps na kinukuha mga information ng users sa phone...

Dairycow

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • MOOOOOOO!
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2013, 04:18:37 am »
imagine hinuli lahat ng jailbreakers... wala na consumer mga telecomms... malulugi telecomms... wala na rin tayo lahat cellphone service ... balik landline na lahat... dahil sa batas umurong ang technology... ang saya...

ang dapat unahin nila huluhin yung mga gumagawa ng apps na kinukuha mga information ng users sa phone...

ano po ba ang reason bakit sila nag jailbreak? dahil para maka free apps at unlock ng sim?

bakit hindi nalang sila bumili at mag install ng apps sa legal na paraan. 2$? 3$? nakabili sila ng phone worth 10k up pero yung 90 pesos na game/app hindi nila mabili? wag nilang idahilan na hindi nila alam paano ma purchase kasi may nakita ako dito sa dasma sa may boutique ng cherry mobile na nag bebenta ng paid apps using google play.

ang sa akin lang naman. it's one step to fight piracy. although paniguradohindi nila mapipigilan totally yung jailbreaking na yan. hehehe

oldieboy

• Vincent Valentine
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 3
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2013, 08:09:42 am »
Another waste of time and money!

kesso013

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2013, 09:45:25 am »
we are also NOT ALLOWED to modify an electronic device to use the device in a manner other than what the manufacturer intended it for, so if the manufacturer declares their product can only install applications or download multimedia in a SPECIFIC WAY (I.E. from a specific source such as a dedicated repository of applications and multimedia) modifying to circumvent this is technically illegal

the Hardware and Software/OS of Electronics are BELONG to the PATENT owners, we simply BUY the RIGHT to USE their products and we do not have the right to modify them to bypass security measures preventing applications and multimedia to by placed and used in their products outside the accepted protocols

Mawalang galang lang po MasterChief, but I disagree with this.

Patents protect the intellectual property behind the creation of a product to different extents, some of which allow replication but not for profit purposes. Even supposing we abide by the strictest form of patent, we are only restricted from utilizing the technology in certain ways, usually in the creation of a product meant for publication/public consumption, unless a clause has been placed before sales in a user agreement that specifically authorizes the use only in a particular way (especially in the case of film and music).

Suppose I but a hardware.  No law should be able to stop me from disassembling that which now belongs to my property and making use of any part inside the way I see fit.  This may not be the way the OEM intended it to be, but as I now own this particular product with this specific serial number, I can consume it in any way I deem fit, even as a door stopper if I want to.

The same should apply to Jailbreaking and reverse engineering, which is a completely accepted practice. Jailbreaking and reverse engineering in themselves are not and must never be illegal, but replication of a technology acquired from jailbreaking and reverse engineering for the purpose of public consumption is.

This law just protects the interests of certain corporations and may in fact go against the rights of consumers.

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 03:30:58 pm »
Mawalang galang lang po MasterChief, but I disagree with this.

Patents protect the intellectual property behind the creation of a product to different extents, some of which allow replication but not for profit purposes. Even supposing we abide by the strictest form of patent, we are only restricted from utilizing the technology in certain ways, usually in the creation of a product meant for publication/public consumption, unless a clause has been placed before sales in a user agreement that specifically authorizes the use only in a particular way (especially in the case of film and music).

Suppose I but a hardware.  No law should be able to stop me from disassembling that which now belongs to my property and making use of any part inside the way I see fit.  This may not be the way the OEM intended it to be, but as I now own this particular product with this specific serial number, I can consume it in any way I deem fit, even as a door stopper if I want to.

The same should apply to Jailbreaking and reverse engineering, which is a completely accepted practice. Jailbreaking and reverse engineering in themselves are not and must never be illegal, but replication of a technology acquired from jailbreaking and reverse engineering for the purpose of public consumption is.

This law just protects the interests of certain corporations and may in fact go against the rights of consumers.

tell that to APPLE

carlocarr

• "Impossible is Nothing but You Cant Do Everything"
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 26
  • The Underwater Heartbreaker
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2013, 05:37:07 am »
tell that to APPLE
@masterchief

di lang talaga makuntento ang tao sa kung anu meron sa gadgets nila.. buti pa nuon.. kuntento na tayu sa anung meron sa gadgets naten paglabas ng box..
For more post visit here:http://finetimey2c.blogspot.com