Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: NBA's greatest trade mismach?  (Read 5708 times)

depektib

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
Re: NBA's greatest trade mismach?
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2009, 09:31:48 pm »
1st reply in this thread:
And your reply to that:
Another one attempted to explain to you:
And your reply to Kal-El's post:
A little side comment:
And probably, finally expanded what your previous post. Basically you said what we said but somehow your conclusion is different? Maybe we're screwed. I don't know but seems like your alone.
LOL ako pa matigas ulo?

Now, I just read the first line of your last post. It's not that appealing to read. Sentences were not broken down and its just a big block of garbage. I bet no one read it.

i understand, you have a hard time reading :)

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2009, 09:56:26 pm »
i understand, you have a hard time reading :)

Just like everyone, I didn't even try.

All Roads Lead to Espiya's Resident Genius, 123kid123.

Mods, mods! Help! I just got owned! - multimillion dollar man

I do have followers. They post everywhere I post. Do you?

dirty sanchez

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 8
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2009, 10:10:18 pm »
dapat hindi mismatch yung mga trades tulad ng Kobe for Vlade or Dirk for Tractor kasi that time they weren't superstars. Nobody knew they would be this good. They had potential at the time but not like the 2nd coming of MJ (Kobe). For me lopsided trades are like these: Paul Gasol for Kwame Brown, Javaris & Cash ata yun (not sure if may kasamang draft pick). another is the Vince Carter to the Nets for Zo (who never suited up for the Raps), Eric Williams, Aaron Williams & picks.

dirty sanchez

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 8
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 10:16:12 pm »
ito lang alam ko na mismatch in terms of trade...

pau gasol for kwame brown, aaron mckie, javaris crittenton and draft rights to marc gasol...lamang pa rin Lakers...

kevin garnett for half of celtics (except pierce and perkins)..well, nag-champion ang Celtics di ba?...

marcus camby for nothing..a nuggets and clipper trade....insulto kay camby kaya yun... ;D

I disagree with the KG part. The Wolves weren't going anywhere with KG & they got a ton of young players for him. Magaling si Al Jefferson. He's young and he's gonna be an allstar soon enough, too bad he got injured.  Agree ako sa Camby deal. But look at the Nuggets they actually got better when they got Chauncey. SO I guess they don't regret that deal hehehehe.

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 10:36:26 pm »
Addition by subtraction.

depektib

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2009, 09:54:26 am »
Just like everyone, I didn't even try.

wow spokesperson

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2009, 10:14:35 am »
wow spokesperson

"now observer"

No one actually replied or even take notice of what you've posted.

Kal-El

• The Man of Steel
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 12
    • The Last Son of Krypton
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2009, 10:38:30 am »
it's really funny how people categorize a trade to be a "mismatch." Yes, I agree on plain paper, the face value of a lot of trades, most of which mentioned here, are what you can really consider a mismatch. But it is very uneducated of someone to call a trade a "mismatch" outright. There are hidden values that are needed to be considered. And the most overlooked category is the direction where the team/s are going. Taking the Gasol-Brown/CrittentonMcKie/M.Gasol trade for instance. Yes, I too was shocked for it was a steal for the Lakers. But not once did I think it was a mismatch. Why? Because the intent of both the Lakers and Grizzlies are different. Lakers want it NOW, while the Grizzlies are looking at the near future and trying to get a bigger fish than Gasol. They are trying to open up the cap room to be able to buy-in on the seller's market that is the 2010 free agency. The Lakers got a steal for what they bargained for. But it is never a mismatch for the Grizzlies given the potential that they will now have to get a high calibre player. And, going back to the Nowitzki-Traylor trade. Again, same situation. One team wants to reap the benefits at that moment, and the other is willing to sit back and wait. Both teams got something out of it which was in line with what they inteded for, so why is it a mismatch then? It's all about the intent of the trade. It's not merely the moving around of pieces...I admit there have been horrible trades...but calling trades as mismatch based on what could have been is like crying over spilled milk.
"The son becomes the father, and the father becomes the son..."

jayz5577

• SOLDIER OF THE CROSS
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 06:09:37 am »
 music::    ayos!

agentzerow

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 10:55:38 am »
about dun kay kg..kya lang nman trinade ni mchale si kc kc celtic kaya cya..conspiracy lang un..gsto lang nya mgchampion ang celtics..dpat tangalin na c mchale dun kawawa nman ang wolves

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 11:22:37 am »
about dun kay kg..kya lang nman trinade ni mchale si kc kc celtic kaya cya..conspiracy lang un..gsto lang nya mgchampion ang celtics..dpat tangalin na c mchale dun kawawa nman ang wolves

I ask you this.. Say you have an employee. And you have to let go of him or her for some financial reason or any reason that would suggest he or she still has to continue working somewhere else. Would you recommend him or her to an unfamiliar place, or send him or her in a place you know by experience that will take good care of him or her?

dirty sanchez

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 8
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2009, 07:51:46 am »

di naman bro. McHale being a Celtic may have or was 1 reason KG got sent to Boston. But he also got alot of young & promising players in return. KG is a special player who deserves (at that time, kasi ngayon I don't like him, mayabang na e) a chance to win a championship. There are times when a player & a GM/executive agree to send a player to a certain team to put them in a good situation to win. I think McHale has a huge respect for KG so he didn't dump him just anywhere. Besides KG never asked to be traded despite them losing year after year in the playoffs so it was only right to send him to a better situation at the same time rebuild your team with good young talent.

waldoh

• i love Jeon ji Hyun
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2009, 09:21:32 pm »
 ::dontflame

aside from player compared to the other player thing, there's a lot of concerns why trade happens... salary cap, luxury tax, draft picks, draft rights, players the team needs, type of team, player's "outside" issues or behaviours, player's satisfaction, coach's preferences, charisma, expiring contracts, managements decisions, higher mangaement's decisions... at iba pa na only players, coaches, GMs and team owners may know or preferred... so it is really hard to justify whether a trade is truly mismatch or something.... i mean, if it served it purposed for the team, then it will never be a mismatch....

now in my opinion i think what the TS implies is a player per player comparison, talent-wise and sorts...

the term "greatest" is the reason why there was this "flame" on the previous posts....

but no personal attacks or flaming.... everyone is entitled for their views... its a free world...

so kung mismatch yun para sa kanya, eh di mis match yun... kung sayo yun ang greatest mismatch, din yun yun...

respect lang po...

then again, this is just my two cents... peace... :)

TwoFace

• Gotham's White Knight
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 35
  • I Believe in Harvey Dent
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2009, 01:15:09 am »
it's really funny how people categorize a trade to be a "mismatch." Yes, I agree on plain paper, the face value of a lot of trades, most of which mentioned here, are what you can really consider a mismatch. But it is very uneducated of someone to call a trade a "mismatch" outright. There are hidden values that are needed to be considered. And the most overlooked category is the direction where the team/s are going. Taking the Gasol-Brown/CrittentonMcKie/M.Gasol trade for instance. Yes, I too was shocked for it was a steal for the Lakers. But not once did I think it was a mismatch. Why? Because the intent of both the Lakers and Grizzlies are different. Lakers want it NOW, while the Grizzlies are looking at the near future and trying to get a bigger fish than Gasol. They are trying to open up the cap room to be able to buy-in on the seller's market that is the 2010 free agency. The Lakers got a steal for what they bargained for. But it is never a mismatch for the Grizzlies given the potential that they will now have to get a high calibre player. And, going back to the Nowitzki-Traylor trade. Again, same situation. One team wants to reap the benefits at that moment, and the other is willing to sit back and wait. Both teams got something out of it which was in line with what they inteded for, so why is it a mismatch then? It's all about the intent of the trade. It's not merely the moving around of pieces...I admit there have been horrible trades...but calling trades as mismatch based on what could have been is like crying over spilled milk.

I agree with this. There is no way you can say that a trade is a mismatch unless you give specific criteria as to what you call as a mismatch. You can even say that the Kwame-Gasol trade was not a mismatch since it netted them a relatively cheap 23 year old in OJ Mayo and Pau's younger brother Marc + tons of caps space for 2009/10, while giving away an expensive 30 year old Gasol.

To show the effect of the trade, as well as other moves by the team, Memphis is now the team with the lowest player salaries. By the end of the season it will further reduce this by nearly half when the contracts of veterans like Antoine Walker, Damon Stoudamire, and Steve Francis come off the books. Pau Gasol is guaranteed $15-18 M until 2011 while OJ Mayo can get up to $4-7M until 2013, and Marc Gasol $3-3.5M until 2011. Factor in the current economic crisis and you'll probably see lower player salaries / offers in the coming free agent market.

Memphis realized that there is no use building around Gasol since they can't put up a championship team during his prime and instead concentrated on the younger Rudy Gay as their centerpiece. It is better to take that risk and get a bright future rather than continue wallowing in mediocrity.

dondon85

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2009, 01:54:40 am »
Billups - Iverson
Reason:Look what happen to the standing of both teams
DENVER more wins less loss
DETROIT more loss less win
Simple reason ;)

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2009, 02:01:26 am »
Billups - Iverson
Simple reason ;)

They got a new coach.

They bought a 20 million dollars expiring contract.

What does that tell you?

Bonerskinners

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2009, 02:53:00 am »
Billups - Iverson
Simple reason ;)

Personally, I don't think that this is a "mismatch" per se, with due respect to AI, Iverson is a former MVP, averages 20+ points per game (in his whole 13 year career), he single- handedly brought the sixers to the finals a few years back. Billups is also good player, being a former finals MVP and champion. At the time of the trade, "In theory", it was good for both teams. The Pistons wanted to add additional fire power,  and wanted to develop Stuckey (who the Pistons envision to be their future PG) and also cap space. They still have their veteran core of Wallace, Rip, and Taysaun. Denver on the other hand, wanted to have a veteran PG that would facilitate and lead the team. And Also they have their young core of Melo, Jr smith, Nene, and Kmart.

It just so happens that there were a lot of other reasons why they lost a lot this season (not JUST because of the trade), Detroit had personnel issues, aging veterans, injuries, and a new coach (who I think did a lousy job of controlling the team). And also, Rodney Stuckey didn't live up to their expectations (which I think was one of the main reasons why they lost so much).

On Denver's part, however, everything is working out great after the trade. But there are also other reasons. They are defending more, Nene is healthy and plays like a monster, JR Smith is shooting the lights out, even the Birdman is playing good ball. etc.

Lastly, Remember last year, Denver had a lot of injuries too and they still won 50 games (that's with Iverson on the lineup).  Which means that Denver, at that time, was already good, It just so happens that all they need was just a veteran point guard. I read in an article in NBA.com, the writer pointed out that any elite veteran PG (Bibby, Kidd, etc) would still have the same effect on Denver if they were inserted into the line up, it just so happens that Billups was at the right place at the right time. I agree.

But hey, that's just my opinion.... peace!

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2009, 04:04:26 am »
Detroit lost a 1, needed a 6 but got a 2.

Nuggets lost a 2, needed a 1 and got a 1.

liquid metal

• Liquid Metal
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 25
  • ya need some of the good old ultra-violence eh?
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2009, 06:39:24 am »
iverson = billups + mcdyess

ewan ko..basta feeling ko mismatch eh!!
"this world is the last bastion of HEAVEN before the gates of the BURNING HELL"

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
« Reply #44 on: April 05, 2009, 07:04:09 am »
iverson = billups + mcdyess

ewan ko..basta feeling ko mismatch eh!!

How come you stated the two sides are equal ('=').