Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: AMD planning Phenom 2 X8 for AM3 platform?  (Read 2290 times)

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
AMD planning Phenom 2 X8 for AM3 platform?
« on: January 06, 2012, 04:35:26 pm »
i got wind of this story last dec and found it very interesting considering i own a Phenom 2 rig with an AM3 socket

not so "Bulldozery" but an 8 Phenom X2 might be an upgrade im looking for

BIOS updates for mainboards made by Elitegroup Computer Systems and Jetway reveal that Advanced Micro Devices may be preparing a new line of multi-core microprocessors called Phenom II X8. Based on alleged specifications of the products, the new central processing units (CPUs) will be aimed at cost-sensitive segment of the market.

Based on CPU support list of Jetway HA18 mainboard based on AMD 9-series chipset and AM3+ socket, AMD is preparing a series of new microprocessors based on Zambezi design (Bulldozer micro-architecture, 4, 6 or 8 cores) of different revisions with rather low clock-speeds and with 95W thermal design power. Jetway lists the new processors as "engineering samples", but a well-known Japanese observer/blogger Northwood.blog60.fc2.com points to an alleged ECS A890GXM-A2 CPU support list that calls the chips as AMD Phenom II X8.

The list of AMD Phenom II X8 microprocessors includes four models:

AMD Phenom II X8 2420: 2.40GHz, 95W, ZD242046W8K43
AMD Phenom II X8 3020: 3.00GHz, 125W, ZD302051W8K44
AMD Phenom II X8 2520: 2.50GHz, 95W, ZD252046W6443
AMD Phenom II X8 2820: 2.80GHz, 95W, ZD282046W8K43

The "Phenom II X8" microprocessors can be actual early engineering samples of chips that now belong to AMD FX premium product line, however, listing of their support now implies that AMD is cooking something new.

Although AMD FX family does not play in the ultra high-performance segment of the market where microprocessors cost $400 or more, the Sunnyvale, California-based company clearly positions the chips as premium products. Therefore, the company is not interested in selling products with relatively low performance under the FX brand.

It is known that AMD does have a lot of Zambezi processors that have all cores functional, but which cannot work on high clock-speeds and therefore provide premium "FX-class" performance, but AMD is definitely interested in selling those chips. In a bid not to harm the appeal of the FX brand, the chip designer may sell low-frequency Zambezi processors with disabled Turbo Core dynamic clock-speed acceleration technology and/or cut-down L2/L3 cache under Phenom II X8 brand. AMD already sells some processors based on Llano APU design with disabled graphics engine under Athlon II and Sempron monikers, thus, a refresh of the Phenom II line should not be a complete surprise.

With low frequencies and without Turbo Core, the new eight-core Phenom II X8 will likely be considerably slower than the existing six-core Phenom II X8 processors based on Thuban design.

AMD, ECS and Jetway did not comment on the news-story.

grimm

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Re: AMD planning Phenom 2 X8 for AM3 platform?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2012, 04:48:01 pm »
kita ko rin yung article sir.

sana e architecture na lang ng thuban ginamit nila

jeddahbxu

• Citizen
  • Karma 0
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2012, 06:01:06 pm »
AMD for Gaming okey bah?  boss\

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2012, 06:02:49 pm »
AMD for Gaming okey bah?  boss\

AMD has always been GREAT for gaming, bang for the buck

Fiz

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 2
Switched to AMD for gaming and multimedia but keep Intel for Office
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 06:24:24 pm »
Second that!

AMD is great for gaming!  All of my gaming rigs are AMD.  I am a former Intel gaming platform buyer but switched to AMD 8 years ago after in-house security tests ALWAYS outperformed Intel in breaking bank level encryption.  This is an in-house (Philippine business tested - we were the enterprise contractor) professional testing.

Espiya tip:   ::inposition

But if you are with business buy Intel if majority of your enterprise applications are office related.  Office and similar apps always do better in Intel.  This is a weird conclusion in our tests and we don't know the reason why.  An associate told us that Intel and Microsoft are partners in the processor application utilization.   Siguro yun nga ang dahilan. 

We could not force the client to buy cheaper AMD rigs for office staff because of the office test results.  But we were able to recommend all non-Microsoft applications and systems to run AMD.  Sadly servers and high-end back-end computers are usually less than 5% of all the I.T. assets of a regular corporation.

hoy

• magzenVE
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
    • Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Actual Girls
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 11:58:42 pm »
AMD has always been GREAT for gaming, bang for the buck

yep pag low on budget procie below 5k petot AMD talaga.
pero anything 4.5k and above in which you can get an i3 2100
wala na ang AMD *in terms of gaming*
though overall sa price na 5k rin kuha ka ng BE na PII x4 955 at OC to 3.8GHz
makakalaban pa yun sa i3
pero sa games talaga, go for intel 2nd gen sandy bridge.
i3 2100 > Phenom II x4 3.7GHz
pati Phenom II x6 3.3GHz pinatataob

hoy

• magzenVE
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
    • Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Actual Girls
Re: Switched to AMD for gaming and multimedia but keep Intel for Office
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 12:08:41 am »
Second that!

AMD is great for gaming!  All of my gaming rigs are AMD.  I am a former Intel gaming platform buyer but switched to AMD 8 years ago after in-house security tests ALWAYS outperformed Intel in breaking bank level encryption.  This is an in-house (Philippine business tested - we were the enterprise contractor) professional testing.

Espiya tip:   ::inposition

But if you are with business buy Intel if majority of your enterprise applications are office related.  Office and similar apps always do better in Intel.  This is a weird conclusion in our tests and we don't know the reason why.  An associate told us that Intel and Microsoft are partners in the processor application utilization.   Siguro yun nga ang dahilan. 

We could not force the client to buy cheaper AMD rigs for office staff because of the office test results.  But we were able to recommend all non-Microsoft applications and systems to run AMD.  Sadly servers and high-end back-end computers are usually less than 5% of all the I.T. assets of a regular corporation.

intel performed better in real world apps > this is what counts. kaya kahit anong synthetic benchmark "useless".
i'm curious dun sa "in-house" security tests nyo AMD performed better.
mukhang ok yan na benchmark. can you tell anong klaseng testing yun?
also, anong processors, mobo's, and RAM ang tested? equal ba?
i've read a lot of reviews mapa synthetic, real-world apps, and games
pero overall talaga panalo ang intel
of course considering na equal yung hardware na tested sa hardware.
no doubt AMD has been offering a lot of cores for its price
pero per core performance di mo makakaila na 3 gens ahead yung intel sa AMD ngayon.

btw, i own a Phenom II x4 (unlocked) @ 3.4GHz.
best purchase and still kicking..
though nag iisip na ko mag upgrade dahil kinakapos na
especially sa BF3 - paired with GTX 460 :(

@TS
seems logical at practical na masundan yung AM3 platform
since yung bulldozer on par sa lang sa performance ng PII.
abang mode ako sa Windows 8 sabi nila baka matake advantage yung core count
ng BD unlike sa OS ngayon daw.

Fiz

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 2
Re: Switched to AMD for gaming and multimedia but keep Intel for Office
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 12:50:36 am »
intel performed better in real world apps > this is what counts. kaya kahit anong synthetic benchmark "useless".
i'm curious dun sa "in-house" security tests nyo AMD performed better.
mukhang ok yan na benchmark. can you tell anong klaseng testing yun?
also, anong processors, mobo's, and RAM ang tested? equal ba?
i've read a lot of reviews mapa synthetic, real-world apps, and games
pero overall talaga panalo ang intel
of course considering na equal yung hardware na tested sa hardware.
no doubt AMD has been offering a lot of cores for its price
pero per core performance di mo makakaila na 3 gens ahead yung intel sa AMD ngayon.

btw, i own a Phenom II x4 (unlocked) @ 3.4GHz.
best purchase and still kicking..
though nag iisip na ko mag upgrade dahil kinakapos na
especially sa BF3 - paired with GTX 460 :(

@TS
seems logical at practical na masundan yung AM3 platform
since yung bulldozer on par sa lang sa performance ng PII.
abang mode ako sa Windows 8 sabi nila baka matake advantage yung core count
ng BD unlike sa OS ngayon daw.

I presented a specific use done in a certain period of time to explain my personal preference for AMD processors in gaming rigs.  I don't know if that is still true today but right now I still admire (still bought) AMD's resourcefulness in putting more processing power in materials that are of lower cost than Intel. 

The encryption test was performed using two low-key low-level supercomputer implementation (Divisoria type supercomputer). Each were using 3 CPUs and 3 motherboards wired to form a single rig.  The OS was a certain Linux version running a code to decipher certain encryption implementations.

All hardware components are similar and "comparable" except for the CPU.   Of course there were unavoidable deviations and differences in this line.  In this test AMD was always the winner.

The Office test was done in two Windows machines running proprietary Office script.  In this one Intel was always the winner, translating to a >90% bulk purchase of Intel machines.