Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Don't Buy This Toothbrush  (Read 3722 times)

Jhawee

• No I.D No Entry
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 55
  • Minors Not Allowed During School Days ! ! !
Don't Buy This Toothbrush
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:32:54 am »
Posted by: Steve Hamm on November 25

I wrote a funny (I thought) review of a new $25 titanium-bristle toothbrush for BW.com’s Innovation & Design section. But it was rejected. No reason given. So I’m reduced to vanity publishing. Here it is:

The word “strange” doesn’t even begin to describe the experience of writing a product review about a new non-electric toothbrush with titanium bristles that is priced at $25.

Scary is more like it.

It’s those titanium bristles. They’re long and sharp looking. Think of the wire brush that you might use to clean your barbaque grill or a rusted ball joint. This one is much smaller and the bristles are much finer, of course, but, still, I can’t shake the image of a cleanup tool for grungy metal. Would the bristles poke tiny holes in my gums or wear down my tooth enamel? Would it be like brushing with a Brillo pad?

But I’m getting ahead of myself. The TiFinity Toothbrush, which is available for purchase on the Net at www.Tifinitytoothbrush.com, was invented by Dr. Dane Robinson, who was a dentist in the Phoenix area for 20 years. Robinson, who now runs TiFinity Oral Care Inc. in Durango, Colorado, cleans 15% more effectively than the leading electric toothbrush and is more durable and hygienic than traditional nylon bristle brushes.

I tested the TiFinity against a conventional GUM toothbrush with nylon bristles and a rubberized grip. The paste: Arm & Hammer Advance White with Baking Soda & Peroxide. First, a brushing with the GUM to establish an experiential base line. The nylon bristles were flexible and the brush had just the right combination of firmness and flexibility.

Just as I was about to switch to the TiFinity, the editor-in-chief of BusinessWeek came into the restroom. I didn’t want to have to explain to him that I was testing a titanium toothbrush for a product review, so I quickly scooped up my gear and left the room. Later, when I was sure that he was gone, I returned.

I examined the TiFinity. The handle is hard, shiny plastic—a two-toned black and silver. The industrial design choices seemed to be aimed at creating the image of a luxury item. There’s a silver plastic oval on the front of the brush handle with the infinity symbol overlaid by what looks like to mountain-climbing picks. Rather than providing me with a heightened sense of self esteem, the design details give the impression of a product that’s cheap and gaudy.

I put some Advance White on the bristles and noted with dismay that they didn’t hold the paste well. Instead, it immediately started sliding down toward the brush head. So I quickly jammed the thing into my mouth and started brushing. The bristles felt flimsy, not firm like the GUM nylon. I didn’t get the sensation that I was brushing thoroughly and effectively. I had trouble controlling the bristles.

On the other hand, the long narrow tines snaked between my teeth so I got the sense that I was flossing my teeth at the same time I was brushing them. Perhaps there was no need for the extra step of reeling out the floss.

After some vigorous brushing, I concluded that the titanium, scary as it looks, wasn’t causing any injury or irritation. However, I noticed a paper tag that had been stuck to the handle. It warned: “Immediately replace this toothbrush at the first sign of bristle loss.” There was no sign of bristle loss, but still, I thought about the effect on my innards if I swallowed one or more of these little shivs. On the spot, I decided never to put the brush into my mouth again.

One other oddity with the TiFinity: It comes with a plastic holder that costs an extra $8. When I turned the base over I noticed a printed reference to the Christian bible: Psalms 103, verses 11 and 12. In case you’re curious, those verses in the King James version read like so: “For as the heaven is high above the earth, so great is his mercy toward them that fear him. As far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.” As a former English major, I can’t help but think that, symbolically, and, perhaps, even literally, brushing removes our transgressions. So, in a sense, it’s a godly act.

I like that thought. Still, I can’t recommend the TiFinity Toothbrush at any price.

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
Re: Don't Buy This Toothbrush
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 12:06:22 pm »
Who in their right mind would use a toothbrush with titanium bristles? Unless you're Jaws from James Bond or a Transformer, I understand that--but a normal human?
Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.

Quonejo

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 10:02:09 am »
maybe its not intended for real teeth.. maybe for gold plated or silver plated ones!

che guevara

• "Guerrillero Heroico"
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 02:15:59 am »
parang lang yan s mga toothbrush collectors  ::lmao
"Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all."
~ Dale Carnegie