Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Issue with video card  (Read 10071 times)

bodieph

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
Issue with video card
« on: May 25, 2016, 04:39:57 am »
built a new PC with R9 390x (reference edition). so halos wala pa ibang software

the issue is vcard shuts down out of the blue.

1. at first, even just doing browsing, the vcard would shut down. solution found was to remove entire vcard driver (especially the one provided by windows update) via DDU and install the driver again (AMD crimson 16.5.3).

2. later on when gaming, the vcard would again shut down. upon further testing, I found out that the issue happened when I was using dual monitor setup and one monitor was running at 120hz/144hz and the other at 60hz

3. when both monitors were at 60hz, there were no issues encountered. when I used only one monitor at 120/144hz, there were no issues encountered as well

4. earlier tests were done playing Red alert 2 (just wanted to try an old game so its not so taxing on the vcard). but later tests were done playing MWO at very high settings. same results

5. I considered the possibility that it might be a heat issue but from the temps I was able to see, they were only hovering at around 80 (45% fan speed), and a max of 90. both of which are considered normal for the XFX R9 390x

6. I also considered that it might be a cable issue with one of the monitors but I used both HDMI and DVI cables on that monitor and same results

I have run out of ideas on how to resolve the issue so anyone here got some advice?

ace

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Citizen
  • Karma 1
Re: Issue with video card
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 07:19:54 am »
How about your PSU? Too much power draw can trip it causing the immediate shutdown, is it also rated?

liquid metal

• Liquid Metal
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 25
  • ya need some of the good old ultra-violence eh?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2016, 07:23:57 am »
Na experience ko din to kamakailan lang. I think it has something to do with the latest Crimson drivers (16.5.3). Ginawa ko e ni-rollback ko nalang sa lumang driver, ayun gumana ulit.

P.S. check mo sir sa dxdiag > display. sa may notes kung WHQL compliant ang lahat ng vcard drivers mo.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 07:26:14 am by liquid metal »
"this world is the last bastion of HEAVEN before the gates of the BURNING HELL"

bodieph

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2016, 10:14:54 am »
yeah the driver was one of the first things that came to my mind. btw, the latest 16.5.3 drivers are non-whql. I might try the older 16.3.2 see how it goes. ano lumang driver gamit mo? 16.3.2 din?

as for PSU, I am using a Seasonic X850, thats a top tier PSU so its unlikely to be the cause.

I think its the driver since before I uninstalled the windows update one, when it shutdown, the fans would go to 100%. I have read some issues of people with drivers resulting in something similar (though their issues were for R9 290x which is ALMOST the same as the 390x but not exactly) so that might indeed be the problem. Having someone else experience the same problem more or less confirms that its indeed a driver issue

liquid metal

• Liquid Metal
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 25
  • ya need some of the good old ultra-violence eh?
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2016, 10:36:58 am »
yeah the driver was one of the first things that came to my mind. btw, the latest 16.5.3 drivers are non-whql. I might try the older 16.3.2 see how it goes. ano lumang driver gamit mo? 16.3.2 din?

as for PSU, I am using a Seasonic X850, thats a top tier PSU so its unlikely to be the cause.

I think its the driver since before I uninstalled the windows update one, when it shutdown, the fans would go to 100%. I have read some issues of people with drivers resulting in something similar (though their issues were for R9 290x which is ALMOST the same as the 390x but not exactly) so that might indeed be the problem. Having someone else experience the same problem more or less confirms that its indeed a driver issue

Crimson version 16.5.2.1 yung sa akin. Works fine with my Sapphire DualX R9 270, two monitors via Eyefinity with 60Hz refresh rate for both
"this world is the last bastion of HEAVEN before the gates of the BURNING HELL"

bodieph

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:29:26 am »
damn, found the problem. the guy who assembled the PC screwed up. He only used one power cable (with an extension) instead of two. You are supposed to use two cables for high end GPUs. Buti nalang binuksan ko na kanina to check the hardware and thats when I saw it. Should've assembled the PC myself to be sure everything was done right

will be testing games later to see if it did indeed solve the problem, which I think should

bodieph

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 08:43:45 pm »
wala parin, even after switching the cables, ganun parin. the card still shuts down when using two monitors and one is at 120/144hz. pero pag parehong nasa 60hz lang walang problema. guess I'm stuck with 60hz for now

although, there has been improvement somewhat. dati mga tipong less than 5min, shutdown na. now, after removing some software that had something to do with display settings, better na. in some games, even at 144hz there were no issues anymore. kaso in other games, may issue parin, although it takes longer now before the problem crops up

so I think I can narrow down the problem to either heat or power.

FINALLY pinpointed the problem to heat. for some reason my motherboard shuts down the card at around 90+ degrees even if its still within the normal temp for the 390x. when I switched the fan to 75% (maingay na), the temps never reached 90 and no more shutdown
« Last Edit: May 26, 2016, 09:56:57 pm by bodieph »