Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: First time travel abroad alone : need help  (Read 11267 times)

Ginger

• Ginger Spy
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 9
  • BEACH. SURF. PARTY!
First time travel abroad alone : need help
« on: August 02, 2015, 12:33:24 am »
Hi mga ka espiya. It's been a while since the last time I posted. Hope everyone is okay.

here is my case:

I just got my passport last 28th of July. I am planning to go to Bangkok and Phuket next week. Haven't bought a ticket yet. This will be my first time to travel outside the country and I will be alone. I don't have a current job and I'm not at school even. I get my funds from my mum helping her manage the farm in Leyte and because my 21st birthday is coming she asked me what I want to have on my day and I said I wanted to travel abroad. She gave me money and I was happy. What I worry about is the horror stories I heard from first time travellers that they were held and interrogated by immigration officers. They said they were asked ridiculous questions and some documents like passport, visa, company id, employment letter, school credentials, credit cards, bank certificate, hotel confirmation and itinerary.

Problem: I don't have a job and to be honest I am just a bum lol. Because of being her unica hija I am able to ask anything. (Sorry for being a brat)
I don't have a credit card since I don't have a job

I have money and I can pay for my expenses.

Question: what do you think is the best thing I can do to avoid being offloaded. Thanks
Surf. Travel. Explore. Socialize.

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
  • SPOON's Next Door Neighbor...DRIFT it FURTHER!
Re: First time travel abroad alone : need help
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 01:11:55 am »
quite easy, make sure you have a roundtrip ticket. Slip it in your passport the moment you give it to immigration. Have all your hotel booking paperworks handy. Make sure you have tons of cash but not in excess of U$D10k. So basically any proof that you are only to stay there for a limited and planned period of time. Review your itinerary very carefully. The only thing they will ask you is how long are you saying and where. Do not show any signs of being tensed or what, they're job is to intimidate you. Keep every travel document on a separate pouch or belt bag. Keep the cash in different pockets and luggages.

Sometimes what i do is i always approach the officer quite cheerfully, but once i sense that questions are going beyond 3, my voice starts to be monotoned and my answers become shorter, just to intimidate them too. And as my girlfriend always says, be vigilant.
Be a Star but NEVER act friendly...
(Wipe Me Down)

Ginger

• Ginger Spy
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 9
  • BEACH. SURF. PARTY!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 01:23:37 am »
quite easy, make sure you have a roundtrip ticket. Slip it in your passport the moment you give it to immigration. Have all your hotel booking paperworks handy. Make sure you have tons of cash but not in excess of U$D10k. So basically any proof that you are only to stay there for a limited and planned period of time. Review your itinerary very carefully. The only thing they will ask you is how long are you saying and where. Do not show any signs of being tensed or what, they're job is to intimidate you. Keep every travel document on a separate pouch or belt bag. Keep the cash in different pockets and luggages.

Sometimes what i do is i always approach the officer quite cheerfully, but once i sense that questions are going beyond 3, my voice starts to be monotoned and my answers become shorter, just to intimidate them too. And as my girlfriend always says, be vigilant.

Yes I tried to keep that in mind. I have more than 3 friends who were recently offloaded without any reason or maybe there is but I am so paranoid about it. I don't want to waste money and effort. All i wanna do is to scuba dive in Phuket and kitesurfing. Well I hope I can make it. Thanks for the advice 😊

wildgang_10

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 18
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2015, 02:30:55 am »
keep all your travel documents intact, make a duplicate copy also.

always bring enough money with you all the time preferably US dollar kung may credit card ka ok din yun pang emergency.

if ever na may mga tanung sayo ang immigration or security answer it right away and  keep it simple.

when you're tense nakikita ng mga officers iyun, dahil sa body movements mo

if you have nothing to hide bakit ka naman matatakot you came there in a legal way and may documets ka.

khaliwally

• hindi mapakali sobrang likot parang watusi!
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 39
  • [evilgrin]
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2015, 09:15:32 am »
TIPS

- wag kang tatanggap ng kahit ano from strangers (baka drugs ang laman)
   ex. pabantay naman nitong bagahe ko kasi mag c cr lang ako.
         paki sama naman sa i che check in mo itong bag ko kasi over na ako

- the immigration walk: answer all questions CALMLY and TRUTHFULLY

- carry enough money to justify your stay CASH and Credit Cards

- DRESS APPROPRIATELY : pag masyadong ma makeup mapagkakamalan kang FOR SALE (prosti) pag masyado namang gusgusin mapagkakamalan kang FOR HIRE (maid). Yung sakto lang SMART CASUAL.

- DESTINATION : list your iteneraries kung saan ka mamasyal at kung anong oras ang opening and closing not to waste your time. Be sure to back in the hotel pag mejo alanganing oras na lalo na if you are not familiar with the area. Research / Google Map / everything before setting off and be aware of the local culture as a plus. Emergency numbers just in case

- ENJOY!  ::laffman

brandon_jom

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 20
  • Pardon Me While I Burst
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2015, 11:47:33 am »
TIPS

- wag kang tatanggap ng kahit ano from strangers (baka drugs ang laman)
   ex. pabantay naman nitong bagahe ko kasi mag c cr lang ako.
         paki sama naman sa i che check in mo itong bag ko kasi over na ako

Yan ang isang wag na wag mong gagawin. Kahit na sino pa ang makiusap sayo. Ugali na nating mga Filipino ang matulungin at maawain pero sa mga ganyan cases pag dumating, Wag na wag kang tatanggp kahit ano pa ang dahilan.

Bon voyage!  toast::
"All Day I Dream About X35"

naruto789544

• Anime Fans
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 103
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2015, 12:53:27 pm »
yup... everything mentioned is true... just be yourself... answer short and simple... my first travel, just like you is alone... just be vigilant and always stay alert of your surrounding and environment... enjoy...

maniac2999

• Console Gamers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 178
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2015, 10:04:41 pm »
My first travel abroad was to a 1st world country in EU, kung 3rd world country lang naman pupuntahan mo, hindi sila masyado mahigpit, 1st world countries though, it's a different story, dun ka hahanapan ng sangkatutak na documents, I was barred for around 10Mins sa border guard ng Paris dahil wala akong ready na documentation (this was 2nd time around) kasi hindi naman ako hinanapan nung una! but usually, cash and return tickets will do, pinakita ko lang yung around $8K USD na dala ko hehe, binilang na lang nila and poof, ok na.

Sakto yung tips ng ibang espiya, dress just right, pero usually naman hindi mapangmata mga immigration officials, sa Asia lang yun since madaming nagTTNT dito.

bobotnaman

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 20
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2015, 11:14:24 pm »
mas haharangin ka pa sa immigration natin. dami kong kilalang babae na hinarang ng immigration natin kahit kumpleto naman papeles at kahit na hindi naman mag TNT, magbabakasyon lang talaga.

maniac2999

• Console Gamers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 178
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2015, 03:55:13 am »
mas haharangin ka pa sa immigration natin. dami kong kilalang babae na hinarang ng immigration natin kahit kumpleto naman papeles at kahit na hindi naman mag TNT, magbabakasyon lang talaga.

oo kupal yung mga nandito, saka sa chinese countries, mahigpit. medyo marami naman kasing talangka at kurakot dito, pag hindi nangmamata, nanghihingi naman ng cash.

Ginger

• Ginger Spy
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 9
  • BEACH. SURF. PARTY!
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 09:53:32 am »
oo kupal yung mga nandito, saka sa chinese countries, mahigpit. medyo marami naman kasing talangka at kurakot dito, pag hindi nangmamata, nanghihingi naman ng cash.

Yung Lang matindi nakakaparanoid ang mga stories na to. To think I'm only going all around Asia. Mga 5 countries but My plan is to show them a round trip ticket then rebook the return. Haaay nako nakakaloka

ugat

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 106
  • Fight for the Pain!!!!
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2015, 03:45:07 pm »
ive done this few years ago....but of course i have cards & money but traveling alone is one of the best thing you can do

i'll give you my itineraries

Manila - bangkok.

2 to 3 days in Bangkok (hint: street food is a must coz it's cheap)  be careful sa mga scammers specially sa mga tuktuk or royal palace area which is a tourist attraction.

after bkk i ride train way down to georgetown penang sleeper train ETD @ 1pm yata yun ETA @ 10am yata yun,
just right across sa train station in georgetown may pier tatawid pa putag goergetown... dont worry about stay dahil napakaraming motels or lodge. again just 2-3 days is enough. again street food is a must. maraming magagandang lugar dun ask mo lang yung reception ng lugar where you stay.. matulugin mga taga penang.

the after.. every hour may flight way down to KL & less than 2K pesos Airasia look for promo fares (good luck)

KL-- maraming matutuluyan din dun 3 days is enough then mag BUS na lang kayo way down sa Singapore it's up to you kng ilang araw gusto mo sa Singapore but i suggest side trip sa sa batam island Indonesia less 3 hrs by fast craft... maraming package deals makikita sa Singapore good for 3 days & 2 nights including city tour & meals +hotel then balik sa SIngapore for yur flight back to MANILA, usually mga flight is midnight ...

try mo Airbnb to get an ideas where to stay & how much ...again i assumed na marami kang pera pero tipid tipid who knows bad  days happen in someway. so suggestion Travel insurance bili ka mura lang yan pang asia travel lang

yung lang adios... enjoy traveling

*tip: better na may makilala ka along the way na pinay or pinoy para hati kayo ng fare & stay at may makausap ka. usually yung backpackers na pinoy mga professional .

Proud owner of PS3, Xbox360, PsP , PS2 Samsung 32" HD LCDtv
GAMES finished: DMC1, DMC3, Prince of Perisa 1,2,3 God of War 1 &2  Resistance Fall of Man, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Ps3) Def Jam Fight for NY, Gears of War, NBA Street V8
accepting friends

PSN ID: piNoyspyUgaT
XboxLive

magicbeans

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 7
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2015, 11:02:34 pm »
Why Bangkok if i may ask?

Singapore is much easier for your to travel.

Ginger

• Ginger Spy
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 9
  • BEACH. SURF. PARTY!
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 01:54:23 am »
Why Bangkok if i may ask?

Singapore is much easier for your to travel.

Because I wanna do water sports like flow boarding and kitesurfing. Easy to go to Phuket as well. I wanna do another scuba diving course there then advance kitesurfing lesson. Cheaper than Philippines kasi.