Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Kai Sotto NBA Draft  (Read 18992 times)

gotenks

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 71
Kai Sotto NBA Draft
« on: April 30, 2022, 12:23:52 am »
Just want to start a discussion about Espiya's thoughts on your own predictions,insights,breaking news and just anything,we can talk about this draft and Kai's just recent season in the NBL.My prediction this early is undrafted,but a small chance signed and suits up in the Gleague thru Summer League,then earn a spot on the team. 8) toast::

kirayamasu

• Gulong (Automotive and Motoring)
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 7
Re: Kai Sotto NBA Draft
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2022, 10:36:52 am »
as much as i support kai, siguro kelangan nya pa nya more playing time , tska  consistency para makita potential nya at makapasok sa draft. yes me too, makapasok lang sa g league, win na for me para kay kai.then maybe 10 day contracts anggang makita potential nya then earn a spot on the team.

The Archangel

• Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4762
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2022, 10:48:20 am »
Maganda siguro if he adds some muscles because for the fact that the big men of NBA are literally BIG MEN.
He needs some muscles to be able to box or outbox his opponents in and out of the key areas on the basketball floor.
Anyway, his agility and speed as a 7 foot player will give him the added factor when he finally gets into an NBA Draft.
Good Luck KAI SOTTO, we are very proud of you!

Mang Inasar

• Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 712
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2022, 11:02:57 am »
I am still a bit worried about the fact that there is still this "Asian Hate" or discrimination against Asians pervading in the U.S.
One example is the supergroup BTS who were nominated two years in a row at the Grammys but they never won anything.
The last time we saw an Asian play in the NBA was during the time of Yao Ming who in the long run became a "butterfly" who was traded here & there.
The NBA as you all know is dominated by black people so you can see where you draw the line.
But I just hope this would never happen to our kababayan Kai Sotto because he is definitely a "wunderkind".

jigjolo

• Pioneer VIP
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2022, 01:02:08 pm »
@Mang Inasar I think it's mainly about race hate in general kung mag babase ka sa mga issues na isa sa kinakaharap ng America.
In NBA terms, nandyan naman si Jalen Green na rookie, nandyan din si Jordan Clarkson na openly proud na may filipino blood. Let's also not forget Jeremy Lin na muka talagang asian. Hinanhanap lang talaga siguro nila yung dominant physically na makikita mo talaga sa mga african americans. Now, about Kai, let's just hope that teams may see some potential in him. Sabi nga nya- he is molding his game to Nikola Jokic- A big man that can shoot.

Let's all hope

Mang Inasar

• Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 712
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2022, 01:13:16 pm »
@Mang Inasar I think it's mainly about race hate in general kung mag babase ka sa mga issues na isa sa kinakaharap ng America.
In NBA terms, nandyan naman si Jalen Green na rookie, nandyan din si Jordan Clarkson na openly proud na may filipino blood. Let's also not forget Jeremy Lin na muka talagang asian. Hinanhanap lang talaga siguro nila yung dominant physically na makikita mo talaga sa mga african americans. Now, about Kai, let's just hope that teams may see some potential in him. Sabi nga nya- he is molding his game to Nikola Jokic- A big man that can shoot.

Let's all hope
Yes, I agree with you.  During those times kasi walang Asian discrimination and only during the pandemic plus, when Biden became the new U.S. President, asian discrimination was coming back.  Wala kasi ito nung time ni Trump.  But I know naman Kai Sotto knows what he's bringing on the table but pure talent never before seen in a 7 footer at a very early age.  Nikola Jokic is a great inspiration for him and maybe he can do better than him.  Let's just pray that he achieves that dream of being the first full-blooded Pinoy to ever step in basketball's biggest league in the world.  Mabuhay ka, KAI SOTTO, the Philippines is with you!

wildarm21

• Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2022, 01:14:30 pm »
« Last Edit: April 30, 2022, 01:18:47 pm by The Archangel »

litopal

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2022, 01:38:15 pm »
Yes, I agree with you.  During those times kasi walang Asian discrimination and only during the pandemic plus, when Biden became the new U.S. President, asian discrimination was coming back.  Wala kasi ito nung time ni Trump.  But I know naman Kai Sotto knows what he's bringing on the table but pure talent never before seen in a 7 footer at a very early age.  Nikola Jokic is a great inspiration for him and maybe he can do better than him.  Let's just pray that he achieves that dream of being the first full-blooded Pinoy to ever step in basketball's biggest league in the world.  Mabuhay ka, KAI SOTTO, the Philippines is with you!

I think this might be out of topic sir pero baliktad po yung sinabi mo na bumalik yung discrimination when Biden became president and wala ito nung time ni Trump. Lumabas yung at na.embolden yung mga racist nung time ni Trump dahil racist din sya. Nung umupo na si Biden, di na madali mawawala yung pagiging racist ng ibang americano dahil ito na rin ang naging talking points ng party ni Trump (Republican Party).

Mang Inasar

• Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 712
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2022, 01:50:32 pm »
I think this might be out of topic sir pero baliktad po yung sinabi mo na bumalik yung discrimination when Biden became president and wala ito nung time ni Trump. Lumabas yung at na.embolden yung mga racist nung time ni Trump dahil racist din sya. Nung umupo na si Biden, di na madali mawawala yung pagiging racist ng ibang americano dahil ito na rin ang naging talking points ng party ni Trump (Republican Party).
Thanks for the correction @litopal. Pati mga poor Latinos ay nagkaroon ng discrimination under Trump.  Mga black people ang kawawa lang because it's still there.  Nawala lang noon sa time ni Obama.  But anyway, out of topic nga tayo haha... KAI SOTTO is everyone's protege.  He is one of a kind kaya ibabandera niya tayo sa buong mundo by becoming the first full-blooded Filipino to play in the NBA.

gotenks

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 71
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2022, 04:08:36 pm »
I am still a bit worried about the fact that there is still this "Asian Hate" or discrimination against Asians pervading in the U.S.
One example is the supergroup BTS who were nominated two years in a row at the Grammys but they never won anything.
The last time we saw an Asian play in the NBA was during the time of Yao Ming who in the long run became a "butterfly" who was traded here & there.
The NBA as you all know is dominated by black people so you can see where you draw the line.
But I just hope this would never happen to our kababayan Kai Sotto because he is definitely a "wunderkind".

There's gonna be hate everywhere,its not prevalent that it put the Asians in America at the bottom.Contrary the Asian American household earned more than whites in America,Asians had been more succesful in all fields except in sports.You can blame the culture that since you're financially successful,you should leave sports to the more unsuccessful.You go up and down American HS,you will see an abundant of Asians playing sports,not just 1,but like 2 or even 3 sports in a year.It tapers down in college,but you will see alot of Asians surprisingly in American football and baseball and a handfull in basketball.BTS,should earned their way in the Grammys,lots of white,latinos,black performers who didn't get Grammys,so welcome to diversity and they don't lose to white people either.Yao as many guys who stands over 7'4 have lots of problems on their feet and knees,giants are not meant to play high level NBA basketball,there's hardly players over 7'4 who have a very long career,NBA is still a businees,you can be green or red if you play high level basketball then you're in.We gotta understand that the NBA is not a development team,they're there to win now and make lots of money,you get drafted because you have a set of skills that can fit the scheme of the coach of the team.Just look at the former NBA players that played in the PBA,the skills are way out there,yet they play 3-5 years then gone.Then you looked at some journeymen that lasted over 10 years played for like 4-7 teams ,yet highly valued,cause their skills fit the scheme of the coaching staff.If Kai needs to develop some more than he will signed for a Gleague contract,then he plays in the Summer League to showcase his much improve talent and skills.The NBL is just overhyped,none of their so called talented big men really pushed Kai to the limit.
By the way you can blame the victimized leftist Asians,they don't belived in the 2nd Amendment,their greediness for handouts made them vote for the Progressive politicians,who doens't believed putting criminals in jail and no cash bail.Its so easy to forget that the "rooftop Koreans" exercising their 2nd Amendment rights stop the rioters from looting stores and harming them.

Supremo30

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 8
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2022, 08:15:25 pm »
Fo me, best year ito for him to apply for the draft.
1. Good NBL season, not spectacular, but decent season for him. Compare sa competition he had in NBL, its much better than the other guys who played in college.

2. If ever man 'di sya madraft this June, may assurance na makabalik pa rin sya sa Australia and improve his skills rather than playing in G-League. Pag kasi sa G-league sya, mahirapan sya sa playing time don, at least sa NBL he can get 15-25mins of playing time. Or he can go to Europe, to experience Europian style of basketball and try to improve more his skills.

cr3stfallen27

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2022, 08:40:32 pm »
I honestly think he can be a late 2nd round pick at best. As of present, he is not yet NBA-ready since he still lacks the strength and motor of a PF/Center. During the NBL season, Kai can't even punish a smaller guy when switched on him in the post. He also often gets outmuscled and outpositioned during rebounds. Most of his points are either alley-hoop dunks or free shots at point blank range. Rarely does he score when someone is guarding him. His threes, albeit at a decent percentage (around >35%) have a small sample size to be statistically significant (nonetheless, the potential is there). On the other hand, Kai is still a young raw prospect. He has the height and basketball IQ - things that can't be taught to a basketball player. He has shown flashes that he could be a "finesse" big man in the post, who could stretch the floor with his shooting. Hopefully, he fills up his frame well in the next few years and develop his lateral quickness and strength. Another reason why Kai could be drafted is because of the huge Filipino basketball fanbase. Imagine having an entire nation support an NBA team overnight once he's drafted. More fans = more revenue.

For me, it would still be better if Kai skips this one and have one more season at the NBL. If can improve drastically this offseason and plays great in the next year, teams might consider him in the first round. My comparison right now for Kai (and realistic best case scenario) would be Frank Kaminsky. Tall. Not overly athletic. Not the strongest big man out there. Can shoot outside. A little bit slow. Can make finesse big man moves.

gotenks

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 71
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2022, 04:31:53 am »
I believe,he will be undrafted,but a slim chance to sign but not playing for the team that signs him,he has alot to improve,namely just to show that game in game out he can play against very athletic big men of the NBA.This is the part of the scouting that have a big question mark,he hardly played with really athletic big men,who can run the floor as fast as a guard.The NBL is just too much hype and not alot of talent to take Kai to challenge Kai to the next level.If only he played in the US NCAA instead,we could have gauge by now how he can deal with physical and athletic big men,and if he can defend the perimeter.

gerardquintano

• Console Gamers
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2022, 06:33:39 am »
Finally, dito lang ako nakakita ng pinakarealistic at hindi overhype na comments. Usually kasi sa mga youtube contents, puro nageexpect sila na siguradong maddraft si kai. Meron pa ngang nag eexpect na 1st rounder daw sya. Napaka bulsh*t ng mga panatiko. He will either get drafted late in the 2nd round or be undrafted. But I believe na kahit maging undrafted sya, makakalaro sya sa NBA summer league almost 100% sure. Parang si bobby ray parks. Pero at this time, the most probable scenario is that he'll get undrafted and return to the NBL.

gotenks

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 71
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2022, 07:17:09 pm »
Some of those guys are just riding the trend,mostly doesn't really believed the hype,its just for views and subscribers of the gullible.Kai is back in the US with TSF,they're training now for the combine,this is his last resort,since scouts and managers are not really impressed of the quality of the big men he faced in the overhyped NBL.Anyone with unbiased opinion,can see that the two finalist of the US NCAA Div1,could beat a team in the NBL.Kai's team finally admitted that none of the so called big men of NBL are even close to the athletic and speed of the big men that's in the draft list.I'm still excited for Kai no matter what,his name is being thrown around a little bit and we will now see the height,weight and reach of Kai.I for one doesn't think he's 7'3 without shoes,but according to Quinito he might be 7'4 and had grown to 7'5 :o.I still see him undrafted but will be sign to a Gleague contract,if that happens at least we will see Kai in action in the Asian Games.

bdb563

• Citizen
  • Karma 0
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2022, 09:46:37 am »
I feel like he should've stayed for one more year to up his stats and be more marketable, pero here we are. And sa tingin ko tama na expectations should be around 2nd round to undrafted for Kai. Sayang talaga yung G-League Ignite napakalaking what-if.

As for how he will fit around the league. I don't know. If we're looking at his frame, being 7'3 isn't enough right now. Tacko Fall and Bol Bol both have that height and they aren't getting that much playing time yet. They're basically projects you'd send down to G-League and pray. Plus, may Chet Holmgren sa top 4 ng draft class ngayon, and meron pa si Victor Wembanyama ng France coming next year. They're basically built like Kai Sotto but with more developed guard skills. And if you look at NBA lineups these days, usually iisang big nalang nasa floor kasi sobrang guard-heavy ng game and pag natapat sayo yung mga guards or wings nilang mabibilis jusko patay ka. I also don't wanna bring in random intangibles like "asian discrimination" or "PH support". Sure, important yan for athletes themselves and their mental health or morale siguro, pero I doubt that matters to scouts, GMs, and coaches. Production is key parin. For sure kahit ikaw na pinoy dito di mo papansinin si Jordan Clarkson kapag 1 PPG 2 TOV si manong.

Ang masasabi ko lang talaga, TAMPER EXPECTATIONS. Wag mong sabihing 1st round. And kung ma-draft man, wag kaagad mag-expect ng Jokic or Manu Ginobili career trajectory. Bawat isang ganun may mga 100 na wala na sa league after 2 years. Pray he gets on a team that could give him playing time, and pray na he develops the frame and the skillset to stay on the court. Priorities for sure are definitely bulk and lateral quickness, and then respectable 3-pointing for spacing.

gotenks

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 71
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2022, 04:18:30 pm »
I feel like he should've stayed for one more year to up his stats and be more marketable, pero here we are. And sa tingin ko tama na expectations should be around 2nd round to undrafted for Kai. Sayang talaga yung G-League Ignite napakalaking what-if.

As for how he will fit around the league. I don't know. If we're looking at his frame, being 7'3 isn't enough right now. Tacko Fall and Bol Bol both have that height and they aren't getting that much playing time yet. They're basically projects you'd send down to G-League and pray. Plus, may Chet Holmgren sa top 4 ng draft class ngayon, and meron pa si Victor Wembanyama ng France coming next year. They're basically built like Kai Sotto but with more developed guard skills. And if you look at NBA lineups these days, usually iisang big nalang nasa floor kasi sobrang guard-heavy ng game and pag natapat sayo yung mga guards or wings nilang mabibilis jusko patay ka. I also don't wanna bring in random intangibles like "asian discrimination" or "PH support". Sure, important yan for athletes themselves and their mental health or morale siguro, pero I doubt that matters to scouts, GMs, and coaches. Production is key parin. For sure kahit ikaw na pinoy dito di mo papansinin si Jordan Clarkson kapag 1 PPG 2 TOV si manong.

Ang masasabi ko lang talaga, TAMPER EXPECTATIONS. Wag mong sabihing 1st round. And kung ma-draft man, wag kaagad mag-expect ng Jokic or Manu Ginobili career trajectory. Bawat isang ganun may mga 100 na wala na sa league after 2 years. Pray he gets on a team that could give him playing time, and pray na he develops the frame and the skillset to stay on the court. Priorities for sure are definitely bulk and lateral quickness, and then respectable 3-pointing for spacing.

I feel like we're the knowledgeable sport fans,our expectations on Kai is within the range of possibility,while the youtube fans and even in the Interbasketball forum were so far off into the sunset.Its really hard to gauge Kai's skill set to the limits,when the NBL didn't give him enough playing time or just not good enough competition at center.Thus,the TSF retraining,against more mobile and athletic big men.Makes me almost wished that he went to the Japanese League,at least over there he would have faced 3 imports at a time,with lots of Euro big men and American players that are still in their prime.I almost envisioned him getting double,double stats per game. :(

gotenks

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 71
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2022, 03:47:05 pm »
Latest news that's not fake is he's going to private workouts with various teams,but he's not the only one,pretty much just about anyone under no.70 in the draft gets a chance to have a one last look from the coaching staffs.