Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: The MNLF sniper who recognized me by Chino Gaston (GMA News)  (Read 11053 times)

pspyrock

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 47
The MNLF sniper who recognized me by Chino Gaston (GMA News)
« on: September 16, 2013, 05:59:25 pm »
One less MNLF sniper. Malamang na makawala pa ito o mabigyan ng amnesty.

The police facility near the fighting was crowded with newly captured MNLF rebels, some of them bleeding from bullet wounds, a few of them over 60 years old.

They smelled of sweat and gun powder, their hands blackened and faces burnt dark brown.

That's where I saw him: a heavy-set man with mop-like hair and huge hands, fast asleep in a sitting position in a corner of the room. His head was leaning on a makeshift blackboard where a list of names of known hostages were written.

His handcuffed hands were swollen from burns and cuts, a patina of soot rendering his skin an ashen grey. His thick fingers were scarred, calloused, and bruised.

His camouflage pants had faded to a light grey and his right arm had a bandaged wound. His skin, a deep, dark olive brown, glistened with grime. A serene expression marked the sleeping man.

A police official sidled next to me and whispered with unmasked awe, "That's the Santa Catalina sniper," referring to the barangay where the most intense fighting had been waged since the rebels entered the city on September 9.

The man must have heard us for he suddenly opened his eyes and stared in our direction. His eyes were like coals, smouldering with the fire of purpose.

I was told this man was one of the most relentless MNLF snipers, preventing soldiers from advancing towards rebel positions along Lustre Street, the scene of some of the fiercest combat.

For days, the rebel snipers held their positions, on top of buildings and inside attics, shooting out of windows. This man did not surrender. He was cornered by government troops after he ran out of bullets.

A flicker of recognition crosses the man's face and he breaks into a wide, almost sheepish smile. It was like watching a chameleon, a killer turning into someone's goofy uncle.

We had seen each other before, not in Zamboanga but in the jungles of Sulu. "I know you," I tell him. He nods and cracks an even bigger smile.

"Tausug," he replies.

"Bitanag?" I ask, referring to MNLF Commander Ustadz Habir Malik's old stronghold in Panamao, Sulu that I visited almost ten years ago.

He nods again. I try to prod him for more information but the only word he utters is “Tausug.” He was with Malik again in Zamboanga City. Malik is believed to be the leader of the rebels occupying several neighborhoods and holding dozens of hostages in the heart of the city.

Incredible odds

One of the thoughts that had been burning in my mind in the past days was the seeming indifference of the MNLF fighters to the incredible odds stacked against them.

Government troop estimates number around 5000 in the conflict area while intelligence reports had pegged rebel numbers at just around 180 armed men, and that was before the 52 dead gunmen reported by a military spokesman.

The devastation and loss of life caused by the MNLF are unforgivable, whatever motive and belief behind it. But one cannot help feeling a sense of awe at the determination of these men.

What made these simple folk follow the man they call Commander Malik to the gates of hell?

I get an answer from a nineteen-year-old sniper named Udab from Talipao, Sulu who was among those captured.

He tells me they were promised ten thousand pesos to attend a supposedly planned MNLF flag-raising at the Zamboanga City Hall. Most of them did not have guns when they came to Zamboanga. On Monday, just before the planned march, they were issued firearms somewhere in Barangay Santa Barbara.

In the past week, the military had been circulating news about the death of Commander Malik, perhaps in an effort to dampen the morale of the remaining MNLF fighters. But Udab shakes his head when I try to confirm the death of the senior MNLF commander. He tells me he last saw Malik Friday night.

"It is God's will that he is alive. Bullets cannot harm him."

Before I leave, I take one last look at the Santa Catalina sniper. He is sleeping again. It must be the first real sleep he has had in days. – HS, GMA News
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/326660/news/specialreports/the-mnlf-sniper-who-recognized-me

warak2006

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 4
Re: The MNLF sniper who recognized me by Chino Gaston (GMA News)
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 10:02:32 pm »
although it's glaringly obvious, a lot of people don't really know that these are not men who believe or even know what they are fighting for. These are people given false promises and misled by the higher-ups. I've been expecting conflict to erupt since the day missuari reappeared in the limelight.

asanti

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
  • WHO DARES WINS
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 11:04:50 pm »
i dont believe when they say they are misled , during marcos era a lot of my relatives told me they are brief that if captured by police during a riot to lessen the charge and not get rough treatment

that supposed sniper can just go during the confusion of a firefight with military if he is misled or throw away the gun and mingle with civilians

he is a sniper and a terrorist,,, a killer ..dont be misled....should have been ..a bullet for a bullet not jail term

GOD GIVE US TWO EARS, TWO EYES, and ONE MOUTH so that we may look and listen twice but talk only once

AngBatangHamog

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 28
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 01:57:51 pm »
Ito pala yung mas malaki na picture kahit siguro na 50caliber hawak nya baliwala ang backfire, sa kamay palang at daliri mukang nagsalin din sya ng pulburo nung naubusan na sobra ding napuyat... yari kayo kapag nakawala o pinalaya yan... hahahahahaha..

schwack

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 25
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2013, 06:35:15 am »
Dahil din kay Chino Gaston or isa pang reporter ng GMA 7 hindi lusot yung mga MNLF na nagpanggap na sibilyan, kagaya nung apat na naglalakad na walang damit at may rosary na suot naalala nyo ba mga yun? Yung pinaka bata dun na ininterview. MNLF yun kasama sila sa isang documentary ng GMA 7 dati pa tungkol sa mga miyembro ng MNLF.

asanti

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
  • WHO DARES WINS
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2013, 10:55:29 pm »
diyan magagamit ang digital media, correlating evidence against data base ,   sana meron na ang police and AFP na data base sa mga reblde at terrorist para ma identify sino ang hostage at ang mnlf diyan

GOD GIVE US TWO EARS, TWO EYES, and ONE MOUTH so that we may look and listen twice but talk only once