Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: MVP confirms interest in Sacramento Kings!  (Read 2639 times)

brucewayne

• the capecrusaider
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • isang Finger ka lang!
MVP confirms interest in Sacramento Kings!
« on: May 23, 2011, 09:43:36 pm »
 Filipino businessman Manny V. Pangilinan finally confirmed rumors that he has been invited to help keep the struggling Sacramento Kings franchise afloat.

In an interview with the Philippine Daily Inquirer in Hong Kong, Pangilinan said that he wants a majority stake if he does decide to accept the offer to join a group of investors that will take over the Kings.

“I have to admit, the idea is very titillating,” said Pangilinan.

According to Pangilinan, the group of investors was organized by retired former NBA All-Star Chris Webber, who was the star of the Kings from 1998 to 2005. They met during Pangilinan’s recent trip to Sacramento, where he visited the Arco Arena, the Kings’ home stadium.

“If we proceed, we’ll be seeking a majority stake,” said Pangilinan, the chair of the Philippine Long Distance Telephone Company and owner of the Talk ‘N Text Tropang Texters and the Meralco Bolts in the Philippine Basketball Association.

Pangilinan is also the head of Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas.

Pangilinan told Inquirer that he will need to personally invest between $200 million and $260 million for a stake in the Kings.

â€œWhether we do it or not, it’s a great idea for a Filipino group to own an NBA team,” Pangilinan said. “Filipino coaches and players could be part of an NBA team.”

If he decides to join the group of investors, Pangilinan will become the first Asian to control an NBA team.

Pangilinan has expressed some concerns regarding this business venture, however. “We would be absentee owners,” he said in an interview with the Business Mirror. “We are here and the NBA team is there while we manage it here. It’s different when you manage a business in the country where you live.

“Hopefully, we could invite some Filipino investors in the equation.”

Pangilinan’s group will reportedly meet with the Kings’ representatives next month.

The Sacramento Kings organization has been mired in financial issues for the past few years, due in part to the team’s poor performance.
They last made the NBA postseason in 2006.

The team is owned by the group of California businessman George Maloof Sr., which has been battling money troubles as well.

Earlier this month, the group decided to keep the team in Sacramento for another year.

Link: http://www.abs-cbnnews.com/sports/05/24/11/manny-pangilinan-confirms-interest-sacramento-kings

Sino kayang pinoyang maswerteng magiging unang NBA player pagnangyari to?   :applause

leightot

• Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 270
  • BEA SUZY! ftw
Re: MVP confirms interest in Sacramento Kings!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 11:35:38 pm »
nice to hear a Filipino own a franchise in nba. Thing is, is there any possible PBA player that would fit to play in NBA?

before.. a very healthy Danny Seigle in peek form might be good enough to be an SG in the NBA. He can shoot from the outside and has great leaping ability, and can drive..

now...I dont know if meron pa din... but hopes, I would say Greg Slaughter! the 7'0 center University of Visayas Green Lancer. playing in Gilas! watch him at ateneo! may chances siguro to sa nba.

subicboy

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 19
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 11:52:32 pm »
magkakaroon yan, pag naging filipino ang may-ari ng team hahahahahahahaha   ::lmao

Lusok

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 27
  • Wa ko mangahadlok ninyo mga CHICKEEENNNN!
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 12:51:28 am »
alam nman natin,basta pinoy palakasan system umiiral!!malamang may sakim na coaches ang magpapabida sakaling makuha ni MVP ang kings....mababasa nyo sa nbaTV "SACRAMENTO KINGS HEAD COACH CHOT REYES"..
Iring-Iring ta beh...Pakambrasa ko beh meowwww...

-=Kurabo=-

• Patience is a Virtue but Time is Gold
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 48
  • Kurabo
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 12:52:38 am »
good news yan para naman magkapinoy na NBA player kaso ang problema wala akong nakikitang qualified na player dito lalo na sa PBA(laro pa lang mas magaling pa WNBA laffman::) pero siguro enough training and experience may makakapasok din

@lusok

wag naman laffman:: wag nilang pairalin yung palakasan system kasi wala pang 1/2 taon lugi na agad sila laffman::

it ain't over. . .till its over

leightot

• Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 270
  • BEA SUZY! ftw
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 01:25:45 am »
good news yan para naman magkapinoy na NBA player kaso ang problema wala akong nakikitang qualified na player dito lalo na sa PBA(laro pa lang mas magaling pa WNBA laffman::) pero siguro enough training and experience may makakapasok din

@lusok

wag naman laffman:: wag nilang pairalin yung palakasan system kasi wala pang 1/2 taon lugi na agad sila laffman::

I think we don't need an existing PBA player to go all the way NBA. I think what we need though is a potential Filipino player that would have the right training in road to the NBA. Marami namang potentials just see the genes of the young Filipino from the 80's 90's and 20's. Malalaki na build nila I think with the proper training and discipline, its possible talaga to have the first Pinoy in the NBA. 

sadista

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 3
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 06:07:28 am »
Siguro magkakaroon lang ng Filipino basketball player sa NBA kung 6'6 tall sya tapos marunong ng ball handling at my shooting. So far sa Pilipinas mababa ang free throw percentage, 3pt percentage at parang Center magdala ng bola ang mga 6'6 tall players natin.

Ito ay opinion ko lamang. :3

boytumba

• Kahit Nasaan Ka Pa. Itutumba Kita!
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
  • Here I cum to save the day!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 12:39:18 pm »
kunin na nila si Coach Spo. hehe
It's not a new world I found. It's a new Perspective.