Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Filipino gets asylum in US for being gay  (Read 1102 times)

ServantGeneral (SG)

• GoldMember - GS1
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 53
  • Don't stop till you succeed!
  • Special Skills: testskills
Filipino gets asylum in US for being gay
« on: May 30, 2009, 04:35:41 am »
Ang galing ng Pinoy! Applications for asylum based on gender are usually impossible to win.

MANILA, Philippines - Philip Belarmino said he was persecuted in the Philippines for being gay – which a US court accepted as a good enough reason to grant him asylum.

The San Francisco Sentinel on Wednesday reported that it was Immigration Judge Loreto Geisse who granted asylum to Belarmino, a 43-year-old gay man.

In 2005, Belarmino decided to go to the United States on a visitor’s visa despite teaching for 17 years in the country.

He left the Philippines, he said, because of the many unpleasant events that he experienced just because he was gay.

The Filipino teacher reportedly told the US court that he was forced to engage in anal and oral sex with older men when he was nine, 11, and 16 years old.

He said he never told his parents of the incidents because he was afraid of being found out as gay – a fact which he said would have traumatized the couple.

Belarmino also said that he never came to the police, fearing more persecution because of his sexuality. He said he was afraid that they would either extort money from him or use him for their sexual exploits.

But applications for asylum based on gender are usually impossible to win.

“Everyone including other lawyers said that it was impossible to win my case," said Belrmino.

He was, however, represented by Ted Laguatan – an experienced human rights lawyer and certified expert on US Immigration Law who has won major cases against government and several private corporations.

http://www.gmanews.tv/story/163400/Filipino-gets-asylum-in-US-for-being-gay
I love Espiya.net. My grandma loves it too!

Paprika

• Melodramatic Fool
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Boy Haiku
Re: Filipino gets asylum in US for being gay
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2009, 04:38:54 am »
I think hindi lang yung sexuality ang involved dun sa case. Pinapalabas lang ng media yan na ganun para pag-usapan. If mali ako, 20% of the population would be guilty as charged.
I know a word that starts with F and ends in UCK. Firetruck.