Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: "vampire" treatment for aging, baldness #sciency  (Read 1109 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
"vampire" treatment for aging, baldness #sciency
« on: May 05, 2013, 04:43:45 pm »

Scientists say they’ve discovered a potential treatment for baldness and skin aging, and it’s blood.

Not just any blood will do, though. The blood was taken from the patients’ own systems, then processed into a platelet-rich plasma or PRP. The PRP is then injected back into the patient’s head with the hope that it will regrow some hair.

This sort of PRP treatment, which people are actually calling the “vampire” treatment, is already in use to combat the effects of aging in skin and hands, The Telegraph reports. It is believed to work by stimulating stem cells below the skin’s surface, which make it look all young and glowy and can apparently even regrow lost hair.

For the baldness study, scientists from the International Hair Research Foundation and University of Brescia in Italy and the Hebrew University Medical Centre in Israel took 45 test subjects and applied a treatment to one side of their heads once a month for three months. Some got a placebo, some got a normal steroid cream, and the others got the vampire treatment.

After three months, scientists say the vampire treatment baldness cure generated significant hair growth results compared with the steroid and the placebo.

“We think it can help to regrow hair on people with androgenic alopecia (male-pattern baldness),” said Dr. Fabio Rinaldi. “We believe it is the best treatment available, apart from surgery.”

The results of the study were published in the British Journal of Dermatology, but the scientists say their research is ongoing. They hope eventually to be able to get this treatment into a cream somehow, because injecting blood into people’s heads is a bit of a hard sell, even if it can regrow hair. EH.

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Re: "vampire" treatment for aging, baldness #sciency
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 12:01:48 am »
...and so KimK is in it " vampire facelift " Part skincare treatment, part modern masochistic ritual  ;D

"semen facial" is less evasive  :D