Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Rosalind Grimshaw's Six Days  (Read 10220 times)

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
Rosalind Grimshaw's Six Days
« on: January 28, 2010, 12:21:00 pm »
In 2000, stained-glass artist Rosalind Grimshaw won the commission for the creation of a new window in the refectory of Chester Cathedral in England. What made this event all the more extraordinary was that Miss Grimshaw was diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease in 1983 and did most of the designs for the window while she was being hospitalized for treatment. She chose a design that would depict how God made the Earth from both the Biblical and modern point of view and worked full days preparing and executing her vision despite moments when, as she recalls, she didn't have enough strength to even get out of bed, much less hold a glass cutter.

In 2001, the window--called "Six Days" by Miss Grimshaw and "The Creation Window" by others--was installed in 2001 as a commemoration of the new Millennium and is perhaps the highlight of her professional career. Rosalind Grimshaw considers it a tribute to God and to Life itself, a humble acknowledgment of all she's received from her Creator despite the debilitating illness that continues to plague her. She holds no bitterness that a God capable of making such great wonders somehow forgot to give her the necessary chemical balance in her body to allow her to live a normal life. In her words: "How can I complain when I've been given so much throughout my life? I have my loved ones, I have my craft...everything happens for a reason even when we can't see it...a life well-lived, no matter how brief, is worth as much as an eternity of days."

(Credits go to the original photogs/posters/owners; Messrs. Moderators, please delete if this is a duplicate post. If there are any errors in the information provided, please make the necessary corrections. Thank you!)

The panels that make up each of the Six Days.

The sunlight streaming through the refectory as filtered through the window.

The Creation Window itself in all its glory.

Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.