Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: buying a second hand car  (Read 2329 times)

braveheart

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma -1
  • racing hart
buying a second hand car
« on: July 06, 2006, 01:04:48 am »
ano bang magandang second hand car na bilhin? if limited ang budget mo.
is the surplus (converted) honda hatch good enough?  ???

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
Re: buying a second hand car
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 12:50:55 pm »
it depends....

there are lots of cars ngaun na ok kahit na second hand....

what do u min ng converted na hatch?

visca el barca!

braveheart

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma -1
  • racing hart
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2006, 08:48:54 pm »
i mean honda civic hatchback... dba, there are lots of its here dats surplus? dating right-hand drive that is converted to the left. is this gud enaf?

wats the most econimical car ba in terms sa fuel consumption?

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 10:04:40 am »
hmmmm....

converted na hatch?

la pa ko nakikitang ganung....

ung hatch naman was sold din dito, so no nid for grey imports pa....

mahirap lng sa mga hatch ngaun is di mo alam kng pinangkarera or not...

ung iba ibalik lng nila to stock, then ibenta....

sa fuel consumption, it really depends sa driver, n kng saan gamiten...

2nd hand ba na cars?

visca el barca!

braveheart

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma -1
  • racing hart
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 11:45:17 pm »
just like the pic below, may mga ganyan na dito? thats converted to left hand drive, rite?

ano bang meron sa pangkarera na kotse? bog-bog na masyado?

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2006, 01:00:38 pm »
ek9? those sold here are us made...kaya its lefthand drive na....

n yep, most civics nowadays, shado na laspag....esp hatchbacks...

visca el barca!

Yogi

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 4
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2006, 07:04:46 am »
just like the pic below, may mga ganyan na dito? thats converted to left hand drive, rite?

ano bang meron sa pangkarera na kotse? bog-bog na masyado?

i saw a civic dx with the same color the other day, dun sa tabi/malapit sa subaru edsa. try canvassing over there, baka madami pang iba kulay.  ;D

braveheart

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma -1
  • racing hart
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2006, 08:34:12 am »
thanks carlos, i didnt knw those wer from US pala. i tot sa asia
lang nag-import ng mga surplus cars ang pinas.

how much does it cost? ang idea mga spies?
tipid ba sa gas yang sasakyan na yan?

madcarabao

• Chief Carabao
  • Gold Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 76
  • Pinoyspy is the reason why i surf the net!
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2006, 08:49:33 am »
mga bro's, if ever pala you have question about cars, bro carlos is the man! ;D hahahaha! ;D sha din makakasagot nyan. :D

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2006, 12:42:09 pm »
majority of those sold here are sa subic lng pasok....

i think type-r versions sell for as low as 200k....but buhira ka lng makahanap ng ganyan dito....

try mo sa carfinder, minsan may nakikita ako un....

hmmmm....my friend has the car, but si model....

for consumption, matipid naman yan....type-r's 1.8, (correct me if im wrong, my knowledge for jap cars getting hazy na,hehe)....

drawback is madalas ung mga taung nagpapasok ng ganyan, or bumibili, nangangarera....like for pdrf n phil touring car....so better check the mileage, service history, n esp the engine, preferrably by a mechanic b4 buying....

=========

bakit braveheart, palitan mo na optra mo? ;D hehe

visca el barca!

heymyke

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2006, 02:05:50 pm »
If you find a Civic Type-R, and its left hand drive then it had been converted.  Civic Type-Rs was never sold in the U.S.  Most EK9 Civic HB in the U.S. were the DX trim line, its the basic model.  Came with a 1.6 D series single cam engine, pretty good with gas mileage.
EK9 Hatchback stock engine should be around 200k pesos, if the engine has been swapped for a B16A (DOHC VTEC) then it may go around 300k.

If it has a swapped engine, then you can bet it had been raced or driven pretty hard.  Thats the whole point of swapping engine in the first place ;D.  Before I put my two cents on buying a used car, let me just say that I am no expert on this.  However, there are tell-tale sign that the most mechanically inept can look for.  Oil in the engine, especially around the valve cover, Head gasket area, distributor.  If its around the distributor, might be a sign that the cam shafts had been swapped around or not stock (not good for mileage).  Noises, high pitch squeal.  It might be just a belt or maybe a pulley going bad.  When the car is moving and you hear a grinding noise coming from the sides of the car, it is a sign has been lowered and ruined the bearings in the hub. 

In the interior, look for parts like loose plastic panels in the door or seatbelt attachment point, on the side of the doors, and pillars.  They should be snug and tight, it they are loose and you cant snap them back tight then the chassis maybe out of shape.  A sign that the car has been in wreck.  Maybe bad enough to bend the unibody chassis and should have been written off.  For the exterior, look the car under a good light so you can tell if the paint tone are all even.  Look for uneven color, these are repainted areas that have been fixed.  Most sellers will spend a good bit of money to repaint cuz thats the first thing a buyer sees.  But often times, these paint jobs are rush jobs and rusted areas arent properly fixed and just filled with filler (bondo).  Overtime these filler will crack, therefore cracking the paint.  Judging a car on the paint often times will not give an accurate assesment on the car condition. 

Underbody, look for dents on the oil pan, scratches on suspension components.  If the car has those, the owner likes to go off-roading with his car or drives in a pretty bad road.  In addition, it may have been lowered. Look for worn out bushing anywhere, but especially around the tie-rod ends.  Look for leaking CV boots.  If it has a cut, the half-shafts might have to be replaced because an unsealed CV boot lets dirt in and generally ruins the half-shaft.   

I'm sure there are many things that need to looked over that I havent mentioned but what I listed should give you a starting point.  By the way, if the car is being sold by the car owner, try to see if the owner genuinely likes his car or somewhat hasitant to sell.  Ask how often he changes oil, does he do it himself, what kind of brand of oil does he use (also ask for grade of oil he uses like 5-30w, etc).  Often times, if you find a seller and knows a thing or two about cars and knows how to work on them will tell you any issues with the car.  Notice I said most, not all. 

If you feel intimidated, hire a mechanic to go with you.  If you are set on buying a particular car, buy or borrow a maintenance manual for that car (Chelsea or Helms).
There's no perfect used car out there, some have their quirks.  It just up to you if want to deal with that quirk.   By the way, if you do find some issues with the car and still want it, that issue would be a good negotiating point.  I'm sure you know that  ;D.  good luck

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2006, 02:43:26 pm »
If you find a Civic Type-R, and its left hand drive then it had been converted.  Civic Type-Rs was never sold in the U.S.  Most EK9 Civic HB in the U.S. were the DX trim line, its the basic model.  Came with a 1.6 D series single cam engine, pretty good with gas mileage.

hmmm.......explains a lot....

and proves one thing....those sold in subic did hav false papers n specs....plus those sold here hav b18 engines...

wait, u min states lng walang ek9? malas naman....

thanks for the correction myke, mahina talaga ako pagdating sa civic...hehe

========

pahabol lng, i guess u hav grey imports there?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2006, 02:49:38 pm by CARL0S »

visca el barca!

heymyke

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2006, 05:16:29 pm »
States got the EK9 Civic Hatchback but only in basic trim DX.  The Civic Type-R by the way came with a B16B stock, if it has a B18 then its not a geniune Civic Type-R. 

If you mean by grey imports as in illegal cars coming in, I'm sure some do exist but I dont own one. Being right hand drive is not illegal in the U.S..  Its the safety regulation like crash test compliant bumper or front end that prohibits most foreign cars from being imported.  At one time, a company called Motorex imported used Skylines to the US.  They had to do some crash testing with Skylines to comply with the safety regulation.

braveheart

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma -1
  • racing hart
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2006, 11:09:56 pm »
bakit braveheart, palitan mo na optra mo? hehe

no carlos, still dont have plans to change my optra.
just helping my friend to buy a car.

thanks parin mga spies...
thanks myke also for the tips..

if that kind of civic cost around 200K, is this good enaf? worth it lang ba?

Q: pwede bang etamper ang odometer? or the mileadge? cos we've seen
second hand HONDA SIR and 11 KM lang ang lang ang takbo niya pero
when u look at the car closely, there are lots of scratches sa bumpers
and lots of little dents sa body. medyo damage narin ang interior, the
front drawer wont even properly close. modified na rin ang engine niya.

heymyke

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2006, 12:51:20 am »
Forgot to include the most important thing in my first post, never trust the Odometer.  Non-digital ones can easily be tampered with, even with Hondas.  11k km on an SIR is too optimistic.  Its a six year old car, even 60,000 km might be unrealistic.  From what you describe, I would bet the car probably has over 100k km on it. 

200k price was just an estimation on my part.  Since I've seen 5th generation Civic Hatch's (EG chassis code) with  B16A engine swaps go for 250-300, I figured a decent 6th generation STOCK Civic Hatch (EK chassis code) would be a little less.  If it has an engine swap (usually B16A), it probably cost 100k more.  5th generation civics were made around 92 to 95, 6th generation started in 96 to 2000. 

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2006, 12:48:08 pm »
yup....that's is y it's important na may complete service history....

plus its illegal to tamper with it, so di lahat ganito, but it's better to be sure....

plus if u estimate it, it's roughly 10k-15k a year....so a 5yr old car would hav 50-70 km on it....

but my 01 accord has roughly 9800km....hehehe

========

for the ek, 300k's the max....though iv seen some optimistic owners who try to sell it for 600k+, n too bad madami din ang pumapatol....

==============

n nga pla, regarding sa grey import, its legal, but without the consent of the manufacturers....

my tito used to import stis, wrx, ftos n skylines sa england, but subaru there didn't allow grey imports sa casa nila....same applies here sa pinas sa mga subic cars....even evo's here are grey imports, kaya di tinatanggap ng mitsu na casa....

sa us kc hirap magventure dun....esp non-us made cars....ang pwede lng mga pang collectors....
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006, 12:57:00 pm by CARL0S »

visca el barca!

Yogi

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 4
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2006, 10:06:51 am »

Q: pwede bang etamper ang odometer? or the mileadge? cos we've seen
second hand HONDA SIR and 11 KM lang ang lang ang takbo niya pero
when u look at the car closely, there are lots of scratches sa bumpers
and lots of little dents sa body. medyo damage narin ang interior, the
front drawer wont even properly close. modified na rin ang engine niya.

yup, nung binenta ko yung akin, binalik ko sa 45k ang takbo. pero nung nasakin ay 110k+ na ata.