Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Derrick Rose is done?  (Read 9258 times)

raginghormones

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 89
Derrick Rose is done?
« on: February 26, 2015, 09:34:41 pm »
http://chicago.suntimes.com/basketball/7/71/395452/derrick-rose-done-hurts

Derrick Rose is done. Not for six to eight weeks. Not for the regular season. Not for the playoffs. He’s done. Done, done.

As hard as this is to say, it’ll be even harder for the Bulls, the fans, Adidas and Rose to come to terms with it.

The Return 3? Scratch it off your viewing list. The Derrick Rose we once knew is no more.

Rose was already trying to overcome unprecedented odds in returning to MVP form after a second knee surgery. First, there was the blown ACL in his left knee in 2012. Then came the meniscus tear in the other knee in 2013. Now, another meniscus setback on the right side. These are only the significant injuries he has suffered during his pro career. Rose has a litany of injuries throughout his basketball life.

With a 500-count bottle of Advil, the average person can get along with meniscus damage. Not so for an elite basketball player. Healthy menisci are as important to an NBA star as a good pair of gym shoes. They provide the cushion to jump, cut, stop and push through the nine-month grind. An ACL is one thing to overcome; compromised meniscus is a whole other ballgame. Just ask Penny Hardaway, Brandon Roy, Allan Houston, Baron Davis, Grant Hill …

To think that Rose at age 26 can ever return to his 2011 MVP level is absurd. We saw how that went. To think that he can come back, be an average player and give the Bulls 15 to 20 minutes a night is little more reasonable. But that’s not Derrick Rose. He’s not a one-dimensional role player who can knock down jumpers, guard the other team’s best player or go down and bang in the post. Not happening.

From Simeon to the Bulls and from Mean Streets to Memphis, treasure those D-Rose moments.

The beauty of Rose’s game is/was his unparalleled explosion. At his best, D-Rose’s video-game style of play left the other nine players on the floor in pause-mode. With all due respect to LeBron, a healthy D-Rose led Twitter in SMH moments.

You can blame Thibs, the doctors, Skittles, the shoes, this, that or the other thing for the injuries, but the fact is it comes down to genetics. Like fingerprints, every body is different.

Only Derrick Rose and his doctors know what’s going on with his knees. I think Rose gave us a hint of it when he talked about his future after basketball. He knows his body and he knows this isn’t going to last forever much less a full season.

“I’m thinking about long term,” Rose said in November. “I’m thinking about after I’m done with basketball. Having graduations to go to, having meetings to go to, I don’t want to be in my meetings all sore or be at my son’s graduation all sore just because of something I did in the past. [I'm] just learning and being smart.”

Social media, which is always about the present, derided Rose for looking into the future. People keep reading more into the injury than what’s there, and Bulls fans want more from Rose than he can give.

Ironically, Rose’s most explosive game of the season against the Cavs might have been the one where his knee cried, “uncle.” After that breakout game, Rose took five days off during the All-Star break but missed the first practice back due to what was termed “travel” problems.

When asked about his absence, Thibodeau said, “he’s got a lot going on.”

Maybe Rose knew the harsh reality then, and maybe Thibs did, too. I don’t know. What I do know is everyone from the Bulls organization to the fans and to Adidas is going to feel cheated.

For one moment, though, put yourself in the shoes of Derrick Rose, someone whose entire life has been dedicated to basketball, someone who has entertained us and thrilled us beyond belief.

Think about how he feels.

minimum niya ala grant hill career, bench/role player but never the same superstar. worst ala brandon roy career, forced retirement.

juan pablo

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 25
Re: Derrick Rose is done?
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:00:31 am »
Maybe, at first I thought the article was going to be he is done as a basketball player definitely (it seemed that way for the first couple of paragraphs), but like you I think he is done being an elite basketball player.

I am hopeful though, he cites a lot of example (he even mentioned Grant Hill even though his initial problem was his foot) but never mentioned Wade who had his meniscus removed since his college days. A lot of doctors are saying that he (Rose) won't feel the effect of it 3-5 years from now, but in 10 years from now.

We also won't know how long he will be gone until after the operation tomorrow, some say they will try to repair it which will take longer to heal and some say that it would be a partial removal of the torn part which would mean the 6-8 weeks recovery mentioned in the article.

Either way I hope for his speedy recovery and long term good health. A lot of people really ridiculed him for his speech about looking to the future. Rose is not articulate and doesn't express himself very well, but true fans knew what he really meant to say at that time.

Also even though he is not having a great season there were flashes of him being great, and actually his play was on the up trend every month before the all star break. Obviously returning to MVP form was close to impossible.

I still think the Bulls have a good set of core players and a couple of promising rookies, so GO BULLS!

naruto789544

• Anime Fans
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 103
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 09:35:52 am »
let's just say, it's now time for the other players to step up their games... for rose, i hope he recovers from that injury...

raginghormones

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 89
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:45:22 am »
4-6 weeks recovery and rehab after the operation, just in time for the playoffs. hopefully he can deliver well to the bulls this playoffs. pag namwersa siya baka mainjure nanaman siya.

xshinobi

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 111
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 12:11:19 pm »
another penny hardaway case... great player ruined by injuries..either he ends up like penny or  if he may end up like grant hill. early superstar with so much potential but he ends up as a role player.