Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Where the Monsters are....  (Read 4366 times)

maveriq96

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 12
  • banzaiiii!!!
Where the Monsters are....
« on: July 27, 2009, 02:53:12 pm »
Only the bravest vacationers need apply!

There’s even a scientific-sounding name for it: cryptozoology, the study of hidden or unknown animals. Obsessive fans of legendary monsters travel the world over to hunt down their legendary quarry. The most famous U.S. cryptid is Bigfoot, or Sasquatch, and in Scotland it’s the Loch Ness Monster, Nessie. Cryp fans know that besides these top two, there are many more whose lairs have become tourist draws. In the U.S. alone, you might have heard legends of the Mothman (West Virginia), Thunderbird (Lawndale, Illinois), Chessie (Lake Champlain) and the Jersey Devil (Pine Barrens of New Jersey), while roasting marshmallows around the campfire...

International Museum of Cryptozoology, Portland, Maine, USA

In 2003, Loren Coleman opened the International Cryptozoology Museum in Portland, Maine. Coleman says the scenic state of Maine, with its boundless forests, gets its fair share of cryptids. “We have migrant Bigfoot that come down from Quebec. We also have mountain lions and black panthers which aren’t supposed to exist here.” After a rough day of tracking cryptids, you can retire to the luxurious Inn by the Sea for a lobster roll and their signature Sea Waves Massage.

Loch Ness Monster, Scotland

Whether or not she really exists, the towns surrounding the Loch have made an entire industry of their Nessie. The Loch Ness Visitor and Exhibition Centre features all the up-to-date sightings, as well as the history of the sea serpent. You can buy bottles of Loch Ness water (just remember to check your bag on your way home) or Nessie-adorned spoons and t-shirts. If you feel like getting your feet wet, you’ll find no shortage of boat tours. Accommodations in the area run from quaint little bungalows to the luxurious Loch Ness Lodge.

Yeti, Himalayan Region of Nepal and Tibet

Described as a large, ape-like creature, covered in long, thick fur, the first sightings of the Yeti, or Abominable Snowman, were recorded in the 19th century. While some scientists write off Yeti sightings as hallucinations caused by the lack of oxygen in the Himalayan Mountains, that doesn’t explain  sightings also recorded in the regions’ lowlands. Though the agency Absolute Travel has yet to offer a search for Yeti tour, general manager Leslie Overton says the company is quite happy to customize any of their private treks through the Himalayas. A ten day trek might start at $6,160 per person.

Big Foot, Redwood Forest, California, USA

Who hasn’t seen a blurry photo of Sasquatch? Spotted everywhere from the top of Maine, down through the South and up through the Pacific Northwest, this is one monster that gets around. And there’s no shortage of Bigfoot-inspired places to stay. There’s the Sasquatch Inn, in British Columbia. Or California’s Bigfoot Motel. South of the border, you’ll find the Bigfoot Hostel, in León, Nicaragua. Skamania County—located in the Columbia River Gorge, bordering Oregon and Washington—is home to the only Sasquatch Refuge in the country. This August, Stevenson, Wash., holds its Bigfoot Bash & Bounty, which includes a “hunt” for Bigfoot and expert lectures on the phenom.

Jersey Devil, Pine Barrens, N.J., USA

For the past 260 years, over 2,000 New Jersey residents have reported catching a glimpse of the Jersey Devil, a flying two-legged creature—and it’s a source of local pride. (New York City, they point out, does not have a monster.) Whether it’s real or not, the Jersey Devil is alleged to live in the Pine Barrens; a heavily forested area that runs down the coastal plain of New Jersey. Joel Mott, of the New Jersey Pinelands Commission remembers hearing stories of the Jersey Devil back when he was a Boy Scout, but sadly has never seen the little monster himself. He recommends the Renault Winery, which has a hotel called Tuscany House, as a good starting off point for your tour.

Chupacabra, San Antonio, Texas, USA

The Chupacabra (or “goat sucker”) was first spotted in Puerto Rico in 1995, after eight sheep were discovered dead and drained of blood. As with so many cryptids, descriptions vary. Some say he looks half-alien, half dinosaur. Others say he’s more panther-like, with a Gene Simmons-length tongue. Though the creepy little creature has been spotted in many different places, including Russia, the most recent sightings have been in the small town of Cuero, Texas in 2007. If you wish to make the pilgrimage to Cuero, San Antonio’s Westin La Cantera is a good place to start.

Ayia Napa Sea Monster, Cyprus

Located off the coast of Ayia Napa in Cyprus, the Ayia Napa Sea Monster is a lot less scary than the word “monster” implies. Its name, which translates to “the friendly monster” is known for doing nothing more nefarious than ripping up the occasional fishnet. It is described as looking like a cross between a porpoise and a dragon and is rumored to be connected to the mythological “Skylla” sea monster, depicted in mosaic form in the House of Dionysus. The unbelievably beautiful Cape Greco is where the monster was last reportedly photographed, and the Grecian Park Hotel is definitely the place to stay.

Montauk Monster, Montauk, N.Y., USA

The posh Hamptons on Long Island, N.Y. is supposed to be the locale of a snakey sea monster. The East Hampton Star reports that 100 years ago, a fishing boat netted a 22-foot-long sea serpent! Then recently a suspicious carcass washed ashore and experts are still debating its origins. But regardless of whether or not you stumble across another of these creepy crawly sea creatures, Montauk is a great place to take a break. And with the housing markets going down, there are deals to be made on rentals. The Corcoran web site shows plenty of rentals still available at many different price points.

Ghost Cats, Spalding Inn, Whitefield, N.H., USA

After Jason Hawes and Grant Wilson profiled the Spalding Inn for an episode of their series, Ghost Hunters, the two were so impressed with the ghostly activity that they decided to purchase the Inn. However, ghosts are not cryptids. Lucky for the brave, the forests surrounding the Inn are a well-documented Sasquatch-sighting area. Ghostly felines such as black panthers and white pumas have also been spotted. And if apparitions, Bigfoot, and demon felines aren’t terrifying enough for you, just down the road a piece, you’ll find the site of America’s first documented alien abduction.

The Mothman, Charleston & Point Pleasant, W.Va., USA

He’s man-sized, he’s got wings, and a set of big, reflective eyeballs—ladies and gentlemen, meet the Mothman! First spotted in the mid-60s, the Mothman didn’t really do much except frighten people, though the collapse of a local bridge was pinned on him. Nevertheless, this popular cryptid was the subject of many books, articles, television shows and a movie or two. For the past eight years he’s been honored at The Mothman Festival, held in his alleged hometown of Point Pleasant, West Virginia. One fairgoer declared, "It’s a three-hour drive. We have six people here. It’s a tradition. I’m into legends.”

::investigate

source:http://www.forbestraveler.com/adventure/monster-vacations-story.html?partner=filmstrip_new

darcknight

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
Re: Where the Monsters are....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 04:30:00 am »
nice post sir, some of the one's mentioned i've watched on X-Files some I read here in the internet
THE SPADE IS THE SWORD OF JUSTICE, ITS RAPIER MARKS THE END

Packen

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 07:28:26 am »
interesting..thanks!!!  finger4u

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 03:09:32 pm »
Some of those creatures are already disproven; others remain mysteries--and that's fine by me.
Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 05:25:58 pm »
Sa mga mahilig sa subject na iyan I recommend reading works bu Charles Fort (yun publication na fortean times) at iyung DC Comics title na Doom Patrol (actually, kahit anong DC Vertigo title).

Turon

• The witness & the arbitrator of the scion.
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
  • My doctor told me not to dance again.
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 05:46:09 pm »
I think the Jersey devil don't really exist. My cousins and I went there several times into the woods but most that you can find there are bunch of racoons.

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2009, 01:52:24 am »
I think the Jersey devil don't really exist. My cousins and I went there several times into the woods but most that you can find there are bunch of racoons.

Some of those raccoons are worse than the Jersey Devil when they're of a mind to cause havoc.

Pall-Eren-Mnr

• The Malevolence of Lust knows no bounds.
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 12
  • The Human Form of Chaos
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2009, 02:22:05 am »
sea monster are still the most debatable of the cryptids
pick an evil and live with it till the end.

manoyihay

• tissue please!
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 42
  • With a shirt like this, who needs pants?
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 02:24:25 am »
wala yata si godzilla ng japan  :D

codered

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 03:01:47 am »
Mananananggal ng Pilipinas

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 05:32:40 am »
Yeah, I'd like to see the manananggal, the kapre, and the tikbalang included on that list.

namster

• Living under the ESPIYA blood in my veins....
  • Knights of PS
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 365
  • Espiya Loyalista Forevah!!
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 09:39:39 am »
Where the Monsters are...

1. Sitting in the highest position of the country...
2. Senate...
3. Congress...
4. Those who are in blue uniform..
5. MTPB...
6. MMDA volunteers

these are the monsters still living among us...
Let the real blood of an espiya live once again in my veins...

maveriq96

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 12
  • banzaiiii!!!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 11:41:30 am »
Where the Monsters are...

1. Sitting in the highest position of the country...
2. Senate...
3. Congress...
4. Those who are in blue uniform..
5. MTPB...
6. MMDA volunteers

these are the monsters still living among us...

hahahaha..... :D

......nice one namster!....

eikichi101

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 1
  • Great Teacher Onizuka
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 10:37:37 pm »
na pakita na iba dyan sa LOST TAPES eh