Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Ancient Philippine Weapons and Armor  (Read 14776 times)

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
Ancient Philippine Weapons and Armor
« on: September 29, 2007, 08:30:17 am »

A set of Moro bladed weapons.

Kris Lantik

It's around 30 inches up I think.

The Lantaka

An ancient filipino made double-barreled cannon. It Comes in different sizes (Rajah Solaiman of Maynilad has a 17 foot Lantaka in his Palace.) They operate it by firing the cannonballs on the first barrel while they load the second. Has faster firing rate compare to european cannons. It was even rumored to be the basis for the concept of the Gatling Gun.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
Re: Ancient Philippine Weapons and Armor
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2007, 08:35:36 am »

Chain Mail with Brass plates and a Helm similar to Spanish helmets.

A Datu's armor:

It's a form of Chain Mail with Brass plates on it to protect against stabbing while the chain mail defeats slashes and cuts.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2007, 08:45:01 am »

The Panabas

I think it's role is similar to an Axe.

The only war sword in the Philippines, the infamous Kampilan.

Average estimates are up to 40 inches up.

This sword was known to the world when Pigafetta, a member of Ferdinand Magellan's exploration team told the west on how he witnessed Ferdinand Magellan died with a single blow to the knee by a large war sword known as a Kampilan.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 08:46:18 am »

Moro war equipments.

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 09:24:51 am »

• Count Alucard of South •

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
  • “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 10:13:05 am »
very informative. it's like watching discovery channel or natgeo. very much appreciated  pokepoint::

“Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people.” - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Hayblad

• Endangered Species
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 26
  • If you have nothing good to say..SHUT THE F*CK UP!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 11:10:19 am »
nice to ah, naalala ko yun kris na nakuha ng barkada ko, grabe pala ang gaan nun isang yun, mabigat pa yata yun 500ml na softdrinks, they say na di raw talaga nililinis un, kasi nun nahawakan namin, napakadusing tas may mga bakas ng parang dugo dun sa mga singit singit nya  ;D

smoking::   smoking::   smoking::

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2007, 12:04:01 pm »

The Ginunting

The official machette of the Philippine Marine Corps and the British Army.

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
  • Yippee-ki-yay, motherf*cker
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2007, 03:48:37 pm »
hey zero! cool post. no offense but i would like to share some of my info as well. the panabas isn't smiliar to an axe but rather to a scythe or a sickle at least.

you see, during tribal wars, warriors would attack by waves. the first wave with the sibat/kalasag and then the kampilan/kalasag. the second wave, armed with the panabas, will finish those who are still alive or are dying on the ground. it's more of a mop-up or execution tool.

in tribal courts, it's a sign of prestige and authority as a datu sometimes wields an adorned panabas to symbolize his power.

you might want to add some filipino short swords/daggers as well such as the barong, bolo, pinute, etc... rating9:: toast::

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2007, 06:15:53 pm »
hey zero! cool post. no offense but i would like to share some of my info as well. the panabas isn't smiliar to an axe but rather to a scythe or a sickle at least.

you see, during tribal wars, warriors would attack by waves. the first wave with the sibat/kalasag and then the kampilan/kalasag. the second wave, armed with the panabas, will finish those who are still alive or are dying on the ground. it's more of a mop-up or execution tool

Looks like somebody here has been reading Moro war history.  :)

Thanks for the much more clearer definition of how our ancestors employed these weapon, I got the idea of them using it like an axe because of it's clear design to cleave. Yeah, I'll agree with it's comparison with a Scythe.

I'd also like to add that the first waves with spears are suppose to throw their spears on the front line when they are 10 paces away from the enemy at charging. Nakalimutan ko na yung tungkol sa jump attacks nila.

you might want to add some filipino short swords/daggers as well such as the barong, bolo, pinute, etc...

Yeah... I'm not done yet. I'm still looking for good pictures and feature them one by one.

sherwn02

• sheflipz02
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 2
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 08:19:56 pm »
kapupulutan talaga ng aral to bosing
sheflipz02

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2007, 09:32:29 pm »
The Barong

A single edged leaf shaped cleaver about 20 inches that can be used as a kitchen tool and as a short sword that is highly effective in cutting things. It is also known for it's potential to chop a man in to two.

realwired73

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2007, 09:43:47 pm »
Magandang gawin collection yan ah.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2007, 09:49:55 pm »
Sa Tiendesitas may antiques section sila dun nagbebenta mga muslim ng mga ganyan, other than that wala na ako alam na nagbebenta ng mga ganyan dito sa Manila.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2007, 09:58:52 pm »
nice to ah, naalala ko yun kris na nakuha ng barkada ko, grabe pala ang gaan nun isang yun, mabigat pa yata yun 500ml na softdrinks, they say na di raw talaga nililinis un, kasi nun nahawakan namin, napakadusing tas may mga bakas ng parang dugo dun sa mga singit singit nya  ;D

smoking::   smoking::   smoking::

I don't know yet why they do not clean it up but As far as I know Kris or Keris is used also for ceremonial purposes and also is a sign of higher social status.

Ornamental Keris (Kris)

Imagine someone slashed you with this blade, the wavy sharp ede of this sword will dance on the wound creating more cuts and lacerations inside the wound it just opened up during the slash. It's blade creates multiple slashes in one stroke. Beautiful... Sick... good.  smoking::

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 10:09:51 pm »
Another Moro body Armor of chain mail w/ brass plates.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2007, 10:18:28 pm »

Let's have a look at this guy...
First off this guys looks to be elite class, I'de even bet that he is of royal blood. Probably a Datu. So let's bow down and show some respect to him.

Actually members of the elite society are most likely the only ones to sport these nice war equipments.

Nice good looking ornamental shield probably made out of iron wood, erhh hard wood like Narra or Molave maybe.

Freakin' big Kampilan.

And most likely this guy is well trained with Arnis so don't mess w/ 'em. He's a swordfighting expert.

Makes me wonder if he can be a good candidate to be one of the 300 Spartans' Pinoy counterpart.

Teka. Baka may member ng espiya na Lolo nya to?  ???

Awoh! Heil the dead Datu!

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2007, 11:25:12 pm »
Makes me wonder if he can be a good candidate to be one of the 300 Spartans' Pinoy counterpart.
[/quote]

well dude, the fight choreographer of '300' was from Inosanto Academy, which, aside from teaching Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, also specializes in  (music please!) eskrima (or arnis or kali or whatever name you want to call it). They used eskrima as their fight choreography since Spartans,historically, do not have a recorded weapon-based fighting system.

So yeah, our ancestors might have fought the same way those characters in Spartan did. :o er...minus the suicidal inclinations. laffman::

MisterSuave

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 5
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2007, 11:37:22 pm »
astig din pala talaga mga lolo natin hehehehe!!!

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2007, 11:57:35 pm »

well dude, the fight choreographer of '300' was from Inosanto Academy, which, aside from teaching Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, also specializes in  (music please!) eskrima (or arnis or kali or whatever name you want to call it). They used eskrima as their fight choreography since Spartans,historically, do not have a recorded weapon-based fighting system.

So yeah, our ancestors might have fought the same way those characters in Spartan did. :o er...minus the suicidal inclinations. laffman::

What!?! Dan Inosanto choreo'd that?! And I didn't even notice it was Arnis! I was quite shocked with that!

BTW, what do you mean minus suicidal inclinations? What about the Juramentado?

Hidden history about Arnis and juramentado vow to kill invaders:

Moros back then during the Spanish and American invasions vowed to kill all invaders to the death and was known as Juramentado. There are accounts of Spanish and American soldiers that these crazed tribesmen killed so many of their collegues even if their attacks was suicidal. Some were even already shot but still the berserked tribesmen continue to attack, hack and kill every westerner near them until they bleed out.

An account of American soldiers say that one Tribesman was jailed and got out, killed around 7 american soldiers even in a situation that they had guns and the tribesman wounded from gunshots was still standing and capable of killing. The lack of stopping power of their handguns lead to the issuance of .45 caliber pistols among US soldiers.

So actually. .45 Colts were first designed to kill pinoys!
« Last Edit: September 30, 2007, 12:01:04 am by Zero1 »

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2007, 02:11:06 am »
ay oo nga noh? jurementados...tama...suicidal nga rin pala ang pinoy.hehe. i remember my dad telling me they'd bind they veins (or was it limbs) tight so that in case they get cut, the won't bleed out fast or if poisoned, the poison won't spread as fast...tama tama..jurementados...so yeah, our ancestors might have fought the same way them Spartans did....EXCEPT, we used bows and arrows, and our ancestors weren't capable of carrying those big ass shields. the kalasag, if you have a picture of it, isn't meant to block attacks but deflect/parry a blow. that's why the kalasag has a pointed tip at the bottom...to strike after defleccting/parrying.

also, IMHO, our ancestors weren't too fond of using armor in warfare either. knowing FMA, it'd be a bit cumbersome to move with an armor. so they probably used them just for ceremonial purposes.

yeah dude, 300 was choreographed by an Inosanto Academy dude...sariling atin ang gamit nila na fighting style! astig noh? hehe.. toast::

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2007, 05:16:49 am »
Ang jungle bolo, not as ancient as the others but still as deadly.. just ask Andres Bonifacio 'bout it or the WWII guerillas who fouth against the katana wielding japs

• Count Alucard of South •

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
  • “Character is what you are in the dark.”
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2007, 08:01:59 am »

What!?! Dan Inosanto choreo'd that?! And I didn't even notice it was Arnis! I was quite shocked with that!

BTW, what do you mean minus suicidal inclinations? What about the Juramentado?

Hidden history about Arnis and juramentado vow to kill invaders:

Moros back then during the Spanish and American invasions vowed to kill all invaders to the death and was known as Juramentado. There are accounts of Spanish and American soldiers that these crazed tribesmen killed so many of their collegues even if their attacks was suicidal. Some were even already shot but still the berserked tribesmen continue to attack, hack and kill every westerner near them until they bleed out.

An account of American soldiers say that one Tribesman was jailed and got out, killed around 7 american soldiers even in a situation that they had guns and the tribesman wounded from gunshots was still standing and capable of killing. The lack of stopping power of their handguns lead to the issuance of .45 caliber pistols among US soldiers.

So actually. .45 Colts were first designed to kill pinoys!

di ko rin alam na c Dan Inosanto pala.. ang dami kong natutunan dito..

“Great minds talk about ideas, average minds talk about events, and small minds talk about people.” - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 09:20:13 pm »

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/15334

Moro warfare described in “Mindanao Su Historia y Geografía” by José Nieto Aguilar, Kastila officer (1894). Translation may be imprecise.  :eyes:

El moro fué siempre un hombre terrible en la guerra, y lo mismo en
Mindanao como en Joló; el número de su fuerzas no es conocido, porque
allí donde hay un moro hay un guerrero; vá siempre armado con lanza,
_cris_ ó _campilan_, armas que nunca abandona, que son compañeras
inseparables suyas, y que maneja con una rara habilidad; acostumbrado,
como el indio, al clima en que vive y á las fatigas de su azarosa
vida poco necesita para cubrir sus atenciones; bástale un puñado de
arroz, las frutas que el bosque le brinda, la pesca que abunda en sus
playas y el agua de sus pantanos. Cuando se pone en marcha no atiende
sino á sus armas, duerme á campo raso, come lo que encuentra á mano,
siendo esta propiedad tan inherente de su vida que para él, el mal
alimento no constituye quebranto alguno.

The moro is always a terrible man in war, in both Mindanao and Jolo, the number of their forces is unknown, but wherever there is a moro, there is a war. He goes always armed with lance, kris, or kampilan, arms which he never abandons, which are his inseparable companions, and which he manages with rare ability. He is accustomed, like the (Christian) indio, to the climate in which he lives, and in the fatigues of his risky life he needs little: a fistful of rice, fruits which the forest offers, the fish which abounds in the coasts and marshes. When they march, they pay attention only to their arms, sleep in the field, eat whatever they find, such is inherent in their (tough) life,  bad food is not a concern.

La manera de combatir el moro es por demás original; cubierto con su
rodela, armado de cris ó campilan, se presenta al enemigo, al que
aturde ó desorienta con sus innumerables saltos y sus penetrantes
gritos; ya á su altura casi, amaga un ataque; ya con increible
ligereza, colocado á 10 pasos, parece limitado á la defensa, y de
pronto, lanzándose sobre el adversario, le dá golpe mortal.

The manner of combat of the moro is unique among all, covered with a shield, armed with kris or kampilan, they present to the enemy, whom, to stun or disorient with innumerable jumps and penetrating cries, until they begin the attack, at about 10 paces, suddenly throw a lance at their adversary dealing a mortal blow.

El campilan, arma que usa con preferencia, mantiene en el puño una
especie de cola formada por mechones de cerda, y en su danza guerrera
vuelve rápidamente la hoja, presentando á la vista del enemigo, para
aturdirle, aquel largo penacho que se agita, con cuya operación llama
la atención del enemigo, le aturde y cuando le encuentra descubierto
le ataca con increible rapidez.

The campilan, which weapon is used with preference, has in its handle a tail of animal bristles, and in his war dance, twirls rapidly the blade in the face of the enemy to stun him, while the large plume (tail) distracts the attention of the enemy, when all of a sudden he attacks with incredible speed.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 09:32:38 pm »

The kerambit (also karambit or korambit) is a knife found among the cultures of Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines. In all of these cultures it may have been used as an agricultural tool as well as a weapon. It is said that the shape of the kerambit is related to animist beliefs about the power of tigers, and thus the kerambit is in the shape of a tiger claw. In fact, there is also a non-bladed version of the weapon that is made of wood and is clearly shaped like a claw.

The kerambit is characterized by a sharply curved, usually double-edged, blade, which, when the knife is properly held, extends from the bottom of the hand, with the point of the blade facing forward. In Southeast Asia kerambits are encountered with varying blade lengths and both with and without a retention ring for the index finger on the end of the handle opposite the blade. However, in addition to being held blade facing forward and extending down from the fist it may also be held blade to front extending from the top of the hand.

The kerambit has attracted interest in the West recently as a martial arts weapon. Most kerambits produced in the West for use as weapons are based on the small Filipino variety, which features a short blade and index finger ring. Both fixed blade and folding (generally single-edged) kerambits are produced by a number of makers, including Rich Derespina & www.derespinaknives.com ,Emerson Knives, MTech, Cutters Knife and Tool Bengal, and Strider Knives. Martial artist Steve Tarani has done much in bringing the Kerambit to the United States