Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: BREAKING: PH plans to acquire submarine; Navy captain now schooling in Germany.  (Read 12323 times)

A7x

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 149
  • Shhh.. Be quiet you might piss somebody off..

The Philippines has added a submarine or two to its shopping list for its military modernization program.

This was learned during the recent hearings of the bicameral Commission on Appointments (CA) when it confirmed three senior officers of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) although they were absent as the AFP leadership submitted to the CA explanations for their absence. One of the three was Navy Capt. Vincent J. Sibala.

Rep. Antonio A. del Rosario, chairman of the CA National Defense Committee, told his colleagues during the CA plenary session presided by Senate President Franklin M. Drilon, concurrent CA chairman, that Sibala is in Kiel, Germany, undergoing schooling on submarine warfare.

Sibala was one of the 105 senior AFP officers confirmed by the CA last Wednesday. Heading that list was Hernando Delfin Carmelo A. Iriberri, as the 46th AFP chief of staff and as a four-star general.

Asked by Bulletin whether the country has indeed added a submarine or submarines to its shopping list, Del Rosario replied in the affirmative. The planned submarine acquisition is under the proposed P25-billion AFP modernization program. That program, according to Del Rosario, includes airplanes and helicopters.

He could not give details on the AFP modernization program since his responsibility, he said, is centered on deciding whether or not a military officer is fit to hold such office.

Del Rosario said the AFP is supposed to complete its buying program before the end of the six-year term of President Aquino which ends June 30, 2016.

He commented that what the Philippines needs is peace, “but we don’t want to be bullied,” alluding to the present maritime dispute between the Philippines and China.

Asked if the submarine and other modern military hardware being purchased are enough to face a big military power, he replied that even ants can bite.

Read more at http://www.mb.com.ph/ph-plans-to-acquire-submarine-navy-captain-now-schooling-in-germany/#tUI0tHrfkAyL8dzO.99

freeyourmind

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 88
"even ants can bite". your queen ant is china. you serve the chinese elite. philippines= chinese fed. chinese imports. think like a rat, you will be treated like a rat.

naruto789544

• Anime Fans
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 103
we need attack subs which can patrol our territories 24/7... so it means we need at least 5 so that 2 can simultaneously be in service while the others are docked...

bigbanggoo

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 333
Kahit 10 subs pa bilhin nila dadaanan lang yan nang china kung pwepwersahin talaga tayo.

tigerwing

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 54
I'd rather they spend the time and money to build up a proper surface fleet. Subs shouldnt come until much much later. A ship will do a much better job of securing our ezz than a sub.

burnhito

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 52
I'd rather they spend the time and money to build up a proper surface fleet. Subs shouldnt come until much much later. A ship will do a much better job of securing our ezz than a sub.

I agree with Sir Tigerwing, though the main priority of our government is establishing a strong base or post in those islands that we  claimed/claiming. Solid infrastructure will deter other claimants from acquiring those island. For instance, if our government was able to put up bases on those islands before China, we would not have this kind problem in our territory.
If Only Close Minds Came With Close Mouth

tigerwing

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 54
I agree with Sir Tigerwing, though the main priority of our government is establishing a strong base or post in those islands that we  claimed/claiming. Solid infrastructure will deter other claimants from acquiring those island. For instance, if our government was able to put up bases on those islands before China, we would not have this kind problem in our territory.

Surface vessels are still the better option if we want to secure those islands. Our MDT with the US does not cover disputed territories. It does however include all Phil. Navy vessels. We could use that to our advantage. All we have to do is put enough naval assets out there to maintain our presence..

burnhito

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 52
Surface vessels are still the better option if we want to secure those islands. Our MDT with the US does not cover disputed territories. It does however include all Phil. Navy vessels. We could use that to our advantage. All we have to do is put enough naval assets out there to maintain our presence..

Would it be practical if we put up base/post first to guard those islands that the Philippines claiming? I do, believe that acquiring marine vessels is one of the essential for our country, being an archipelagic state, though it's practical, and cheaper to construct outpost in those disputed islands. In addition, most of the island that have taken by the Chinese were islands that didn't have base or outpost, also adding more vessels will only increase aggression in the disputed region.

tigerwing

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 54

Would it be practical if we put up base/post first to guard those islands that the Philippines claiming? I do, believe that acquiring marine vessels is one of the essential for our country, being an archipelagic state, though it's practical, and cheaper to construct outpost in those disputed islands. In addition, most of the island that have taken by the Chinese were islands that didn't have base or outpost, also adding more vessels will only increase aggression in the disputed region.

the problem with outposts is that they are static and can only protect one island. We can erect an outpost in an island and it still wont stop the chinese from claming the one next to it. Not to mention that building stuctures in disputed territories are actually more inflamatory. By doing so we effectively take control of an island that is also claimed by others. It wont only irrate china but other claimnants as well. We will lose the higher moral ground by doing exactly what china is doing. Not so with naval vessels since improving military capabilities is just natural. Everyone is doing it.

Also, whats gonna stop china from retaking the islands that we claim? By force if need be? We cant hope to go toe to toe with them and since its not covered by the MDT, the US will not be obliged to respond militarily. Attacking a phil. navy ship on the otherhand will automaticaly invoke the MDT. The US by law, will be forced to respond. This is exactly the reason why china cant do a thing about the BRP Sierra Madre. As old and as rusty as it is, its still a ship that belongs to the philippine navy and china wont dare touch it. They can only try to prevent the AFP from delivering supplies to it.

burnhito

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 52
In this present situation it can provoke conflict but if the government had acted in past, China would had second thoughts about claiming islands with outpost. Before the Philippines was not aggressive enough it claiming those islands because there was no concrete evidence or facts to prove that the Spratly region has abundant resources. That is why, some of those minor islands and shoals did not have  any outpost. The government thought back then that it was a waste of money.

As I remember in a documentary about the Pagasa group of island in Spratly, almost all of the major islands were claimed and considered territory of the Philippiines. In just a night, the military who was guarding a a certain island was surprised later in that morning to see a Vietnamese flag in a nearby unguarded island with a canon facing the filipino contingent. Some island without outpost that had been claimed by the Philippines were taken by other countries like Malaysia, China Vietnam and Singapore during that time.

Although I agree that outpost are static, but it will always ensure that there are filipino forces guarding the claimed island based on the documentary that I had watched. At least, we have the evidence and the right to own the island because we have a base, also a leverage because attacking an outpost can give a bad image to China. Furthermore, most of those outpost are still under the Philippines. We have more vessels presently, but it did not deter the Chinese from building new island outpost, even with the constant coast guard and navy patrols, in which it only provokes the Chinese navy even more. My point is it was too late for our government, so the only choice is to acquire more vessels to guard those remaining islands that we claimed, which in China's view, we are preparing to go war against them. I don't think that China will be removing its base in those islands even if the Philippines won the petition.

Yes, I don't think US will help the Philippines if the conflict arises against China.

tigerwing

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 54
Right now we dont have enough assets to properly patrol the KIG. And even if we see other nation starting to build on some island, we really cant do anything about it because we dont have the military muscle to back our stand. We should upgrade our military ASAP so that we can conduct patrols better and start pushing back.

Simply building outpost in some far flung island wont do it. We've done that before, we have garrisoned several islands and it didnt stop other claimnants from taking the ones that are free. Not to mention that one island was actually taken away from us (Pugad island) by Vietnam even if we had it garrisoned. Unless we have an outpost in evey single island that we claim, it wont do much, and building outpost on areas that didn't  have them before will only make the Phillipines look bad.

zensuke101

• The Laughing Man
  • Webmasters/Programmer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 80
  • "The Catcher in the Rye"
    • Public Security Section 9
buti nga ngayon may mga balita na ganyan
at mayroong pagbabago na

burnhito

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 52
I think we all agree here that our government has given more effort in those island than previous years, although for me, it is too late. Acquiring new military hardware better than have a rusty patrol boat.  toast::