Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Early review of movie Max Payne  (Read 1924 times)

Paprika

• Melodramatic Fool
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Boy Haiku
Early review of movie Max Payne
« on: October 17, 2008, 01:33:14 am »

Is there some kind of evil curse on videogame-to-movie adaptations that they almost always come out terrible?

Although the Max Payne movie isn't going to be showing in theaters until the 17th, early reviews are already out, undoubtedly to distributor Fox's consternation, who is reportedly timing a late press release to prevent bad reviews from appearing till after opening weekend.
Latauro from Ain't it Cool News writes on the Mark Wahlberg flick:

Horrid dialogue, surprisingly bad acting across the board, and some really dodgy sound editing -- have you ever noticed sound editing before? ...me neither -- helped to drive an already sub-standard plot further into the ground...

...Nobody comes out of this thing looking good. The damn thing's 85 minutes and you swear you've been in there for about two and a half hours by the time it's over. All the buzz you've been hearing about how this film is good is coming from people whose jobs depend on it making money. Do not give it the time of day.

Perhaps the most scathing remark came from Finnish outlet, Suomen Kuvalehti. Reviewer Kim Kinnunen notes that given a choice between Max Payne and an Uwe Boll film, Boll actually wins out.

One should note, however, that many critics might not be familiar with the source material for Max Payne (namely, the video game) so perhaps we should take their opinions with a grain of salt. Fan service is, after all, a real and significant part of a game-to-movie adaptation's appeal. I seem to recall a certain critic-bashed movie featuring a man in a batsuit and that one turned out to be okay.
I know a word that starts with F and ends in UCK. Firetruck.

Core2_i7

• I am a LOVER not a FIGHTER!
  • Pioneer VIP
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 67
  • =Core2 since PINOYSPY DAYS=
Re: Early review of movie Max Payne
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 01:57:57 am »
bahala sila, basta isa to sa mga anticipated movies to be watched ko  :D
« Last Edit: October 17, 2008, 02:22:25 am by Core2_QuadCore »

IWM

• Meet the real Mother F'r
  • MILF Negotiators
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 138
  • Hide your moms...
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 02:04:00 am »
Nice review. Some of these critics might not be familiar with the game so their "feel" for the movie may not be as extravagant as it should be. However, the producer should put an effort so that the movie itself is independent from the original source (i.e. the game). I guess I'll just have to wait for it (in torrent sites) and see what's this buzz is all about. Thanks for the review.
NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='(   NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='(   NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='(   NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='(   NAWAWALA YUNG SIG KO... ='( 
"Without evil, there can be no good. So it must be good to be evil sometimes." ;D

Paprika

• Melodramatic Fool
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Boy Haiku
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 02:12:11 am »
Minasama ko lang dito is they compared the movie to Uwe Boll's and I've seen Boll's works (BloodRayne, Alone In The Dark, House Of The Dead) and damn hindi na kailangan pa i-explain ang devastation.  Kinausap pa niya at one point si Hideo Kojima para gawin ang Metal Gear Solid movie and was turned down.. badly, very badly. Kahit yung Warcraft movie lumapit din siya sa Blizzard and same treatment. ;D  ;D

-=Kurabo=-

• Patience is a Virtue but Time is Gold
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 48
  • Kurabo
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 02:30:55 am »
Nice review. Some of these critics might not be familiar with the game so their "feel" for the movie may not be as extravagant as it should be. However, the producer should put an effort so that the movie itself is independent from the original source (i.e. the game). I guess I'll just have to wait for it (in torrent sites) and see what's this buzz is all about. Thanks for the review.

tama ka.. unless wala kang idea kung ano talaga ang game hindi maappreciate at hindi mo talaga maiintindihan ang takbo ng story

it ain't over. . .till its over

Madarame Ikkaku

• Ang Dakilang First Element
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
  • I got no intentions of becoming a captain.
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 02:51:54 am »
how could the people behind the game trust people who is not a fan of the game.. gamers are not just playing the game, they feel the game.. what do these people think? we're only playing for fun?
I have a knack for delivering bad news.
Religion creates nothing except intangible emotional solace for those who require it.

Paprika

• Melodramatic Fool
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Boy Haiku
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2008, 02:58:18 am »
how could the people behind the game trust people who is not a fan of the game.. gamers are not just playing the game, they feel the game.. what do these people think? we're only playing for fun?

Ask Uwe Boll, the self-proclaimed "hardcore gamer."  ;D

darcknight

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2008, 03:32:15 am »
yes guys and gals i agree, i have played the game both max payne and the fall of max payne...still remember those characters in the game like jim bravura, mona, vinny gogniti, vladimir lem, cowboy, winterson, sen. alfred woden, the cleaners, and more...those remarks are all what they are suppose to be...they are CRITICS right...watch it first then we'll talk whats wrong with it...
THE SPADE IS THE SWORD OF JUSTICE, ITS RAPIER MARKS THE END

Carnal

• Seek and Search
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 39
  • Espiya Agent
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2008, 02:19:09 am »
mga sir if my memory serves right eh naalala ko may pagka-demonic ung mid part ng max payne part 1, remember vinni cogniti na hinabol nya sa loob ng club ( i forgot the name of the club), may mga human sacrifices na naganap

i dont remeber whose line is this but he's a boss
"i've tasted the flesh of a fallen angel"

pero ung may flying black creature?..
wow as in wow talaga!  toast::

darcknight

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2008, 03:35:38 am »
mga sir if my memory serves right eh naalala ko may pagka-demonic ung mid part ng max payne part 1, remember vinni cogniti na hinabol nya sa loob ng club ( i forgot the name of the club), may mga human sacrifices na naganap

i dont remeber whose line is this but he's a boss
"i've tasted the flesh of a fallen angel"

pero ung may flying black creature?..
wow as in wow talaga!  toast::

ewan ko ah si bellzeebub yata...
THE SPADE IS THE SWORD OF JUSTICE, ITS RAPIER MARKS THE END