Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Got Milk?  (Read 1650 times)

Bonerskinners

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
  • The Doctor is IN
Got Milk?
« on: January 17, 2009, 10:53:49 pm »
I saw a twenty-one year old male patient at the emergency room the other day.  He’s  abdomen was so big, he looked like he’s pregnant!

So I took a medical history like all doctors do.  It turned out that his problem started about 3 months ago, he’s having cough,  fever, and remarkable weight loss (17 pounds in 2 months!).

Chest x-ray’s showed fluid in the right lung.  CT Scans showed enlarged lymph nodes in the abdomen.

It was a toss between malignancy versus tuberculosis.

He has milk!

Since he was breathing heavily, and his belly was distended, we did a paracentesis. Paracentesis is just a fancy term for taking fluid out of your body (the abdomen).  The fluid, called peritoneal fluid, is secreted by a lining of cells in your body.  Various conditions could lead to a building up of this fluid (called ascites) like decompensated liver cirrhosis, infections, cancer, etc.

Usually, the fluid would just look like plasma.  Yellowish, and clear.  This guy’s fluid is milky!  We were all surprised.  There’s a fancy term for this : Chylous Ascites.

It looks like milk, but it isn’t milk.  The fluid is called “chyle” which is the fluid that flows from your lymph nodes.   It’s white because it’s made up of fat known as triglycerides.  You need to have a level of 100mg/dL in your peritoneal fluid to have chylous ascites.  This patient’s got 12,500 mg/dL!!

On further work-up, we found out this patient has disseminated tuberculosis.  It’s a very treatable bacteria.  And very contagious.

Oh, this fellow works as a waiter in some fast food joint.

:: PaInE ::

• [ Rio de Janeiro 2014 ]
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
  • It maybe stupid but it's also dumb.
    • Fx&Rs
Re: Got Milk?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:36:02 pm »
Doc sang ospital ba ito ?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." ~Thomas Paine

madcarabao

• Chief Carabao
  • Gold Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 76
  • Pinoyspy is the reason why i surf the net!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2009, 12:15:49 am »
wow.. very interesting..

ugat

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 106
  • Fight for the Pain!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 03:27:51 am »
brother.. i saw one of this rare "case" just last month i responed one emergency call (CHEST PAIN) well, damn he's a MAN i mean big kind a man! just what SOP we did evrything yes he's having chest pain, all Vital signs STABLE, Electro Cardiograph with in Normal naman... what makes me surprised was damn! his nipple swollen as what he said about aweek na huh! while we're on our way to Hospital he pinch his nipple (R) there's creamy one fluid came out, i was about to laugh infront of him but i didn't because hes crying, masakit daw sa loob ng nipples niya...

Doctors in emergency submitted samples of it sa lab.. may tamis may glucose content sya yet hindi ko na basa ang lab results..

i feel pity with this poeple...

they are prone of breast cancer:-(
Proud owner of PS3, Xbox360, PsP , PS2 Samsung 32" HD LCDtv
GAMES finished: DMC1, DMC3, Prince of Perisa 1,2,3 God of War 1 &2  Resistance Fall of Man, Heavenly Sword, Ninja Gaiden Sigma (Ps3) Def Jam Fight for NY, Gears of War, NBA Street V8
accepting friends

PSN ID: piNoyspyUgaT
XboxLive

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2009, 12:07:42 am »
Grabe napalunok ako dun sa picture ah! Galing naman Doc! Eh di isolated na siya?

hennypenny

• ~Foot Fetish Guy~
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 3
  • ~Mucky Muck Man~
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2009, 12:23:48 am »
nice sir, keep it up, dami ko natutunan dito... ayos na ayos.. :D
Feed my Addiction...

Phantom Assassin Mortred

• " I don't regret the act. I just regret how it turned out. "
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 9
  • " Built for the Kill "
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2009, 01:07:54 am »
Sir inheritable ba to or bigla na lng nasulpot itong sakit na to? Napatingin tuloy ako sa tiyan ko ( gulps! ) Info mga sir!

Bonerskinners

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2009, 03:49:17 pm »
No sir, this is not inheritable. The reason for the patient's condition (fortunately) is an infectious one, which is disseminated TB (TB that spread in his body). I would discuss TB (since it is endemic in our country) one of these days. I said fortunately because we all thought that it was cancer which has a very poor prognosis. TB if treatable, hopefully this patient will recover after the treatment.

And to answer sir nekro's question, yes he's in the isolation ward.

:: PaInE ::

• [ Rio de Janeiro 2014 ]
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
  • It maybe stupid but it's also dumb.
    • Fx&Rs
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2009, 05:09:38 pm »
And to answer sir nekro's question, yes he's in the isolation ward.

Sa Ward 14 ba doc?

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." ~Thomas Paine