Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Study:Drinking Soda may age us as much as cigarettes  (Read 9483 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Study:Drinking Soda may age us as much as cigarettes
« on: October 21, 2014, 04:02:36 am »

Don't wreck your pretty little face and sap your youthful exuberance and read this new study on the effects of soda on aging.

A new study published in the American Journal of Public Health just found that a daily soda habit can age your immune cells alost two years.

Senior study author Elissa Epel, PhD, professor of psychiatry at University of California San Francisco, wanted to look at the mechanisms behind soda’s storied link to conditions like diabetes, heart attack, obesity, and even higher rates of death. She studied telomeres, the caps at the end of chromosomes in every cell in our body, from white blood cells. Shorter telomeres have been linked to health detriments like shorter lifespans and more stress, cardiovascular disease, diabetes and cancer, the study notes.

Epel and her team analyzed data from 5,309 adults in the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey (NHANES) from about 14 years ago. They found that people who drank more sugary soda tended to have shorter telomeres. Drinking an 8-ounce daily serving of soda corresponded to 1.9 years of additional aging, and drinking a daily 20-ounce serving was linked to 4.6 more years of aging. The latter, the authors point out, is exactly the same association found between telomere length and smoking.

OK kids...As a review, Soda makes you thin then makes you old & wrinkled! Until the next study  toast::