Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Strong earthquake hits southern Taiwan, causing damage, injuring 64 people  (Read 3141 times)

altheus

• at your service sir!.
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 0
  • this conversation is over
Thu Mar 4, 8:30 AM
By Peter Enav, The Associated Press

TAIPEI, Taiwan - A powerful 6.4-magnitude earthquake rocked southern Taiwan on Thursday, terrifying residents, disrupting communications and triggering at least one large fire. Sixty-four people were injured, the National Fire Agency said.

No tsunami alert was issued. The quake was centred in the same mountainous region of rural Kaohsiung county that endured the brunt of the damage from Typhoon Morakot, a devastating storm that killed about 700 people last August.

Taiwanese actor Chu Chung-heng said he and other passengers were close to panic when the high-speed train on which they were travelling was dislodged from its track by the quake.

"Many people in my car were screaming," he said. "I was so scared that I couldn't make a sound. The train shook very hard, and I thought it was going to overturn."

Rail service in southern and central Taiwan was suspended, as was the state-of-the-art subway system in Kaohsiung city, Taiwan's second largest with a population of 1.5 million. Kaohsiung is about 250 miles (400 kilometres) south of Taipei.

In nearby Tainan, a fire broke out in a textile factory shortly after the quake hit, sending huge plumes of black smoke billowing into the air. Power outages struck Taipei and at least one county to the south, and telephone service in many parts of Taiwan was spotty.

Kuo Kai-wen, director of the Central Weather Bureau's Seismology Center, said the quake was not geologically related to the massive temblor that hit Chile last Saturday, but its intensity was unusual for the area.

"This is the biggest quake to hit this region in more than a century," he said.

The quake's epicenter was near the town of Jiashian, especially hard hit by last year's typhoon. A Kaohsiung county official told CTI TV news that some temporary housing built for typhoon survivors collapsed.

The Ministry of Defence said troops were dispatched to Jiashian to report on the extent of the damage.

In nearby Liugui an unidentified high school student described the quake as terrifying. "Everyone was running out of the classroom, and some people fell in the rush," she told ETTV.

The fire agency said 64 people had been injured.

A spokesman for President Ma Ying-jeou said authorities had been instructed to follow the quake situation closely and take steps to mitigate damage and dislocation. Ma was widely criticized for his government's slow response to last year's typhoon.

The presidential office said he planned to visit Tainan on Thursday afternoon.

Earthquakes frequently rattle Taiwan but most are minor and cause little or no damage.

However, a 7.6-magnitude temblor in central Taiwan in 1999 killed more than 2,300 people. In 2006 a 6.7-magnitude quake south of Kaohsiung severed undersea cables and disrupted telephone and Internet service for millions throughout Asia.

--->>>anu na ba nangyayari sa mundo??..wag naman sanang unti unting mangyari yung sa dec. 21, 2012,...parang day after day na lang laging may disaster.. let's just keep our in HIM mga tol.

SoulZe

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -5
talgang natatakot na ako.. sa totoo lang di pa talga ako handa sa buhay ko.. dami kong kasalanan lalo dito sa espiya.. temtation kaau.. lord please forgive me. 

g_spot_stimulator1

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 29
walang turuan..baka manuno... ::pampam

The Dark Knight

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 15
  • I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
My child likes Horton, you know the elephant who save the Whoville, who happens to live in a speck?...anyway, i wonder if the real earth is like that?...o h well, if it happen it happens... 8)

mangkepwing

• Study as If U live Forever, Lived as if u will die tomorrow
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
  • Ur Friendly MangTEmi At Ur Service
bata pa ako , wala pa ako sa kalahati ata ng buhay ko , hindi ko pa nagagawa mga gusto ko gawin . sana wala lang yan mga earthquake na yan
doN't Race In thE stReetS, BettEr yEt Race iN thE stripS!

Erotomania

• Espiya Drummer
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 288
  • i wish i had an angel
    • www.moderndrummer.com

there's nothing to worry, 2012 is just a hoax...

although nakaka alarma nga ang mga lindol netong nakaraan, but it's a force of nature wala tayong magagawa doon..

ang magagawa na lang natin ay mag ingat when disaster strikes again...

wag din nating kalimutan na it's also a SIGN....

g_spot_stimulator1

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 29
naalala ko tuloy kwento ng mother ko nung bata pa sila mga mid 70-80's yata, near sea shore kasi sila nakatira before isang umaga napansin nila malakas yung alon ng dagat...kaiba sa normal na wave kasi medyo malayo yung inaabot sa pampang...nagtaka na sila pati mga fishermans dun..so mga 9:00 am nagsilikas na sila...around mga 2:00pm ayun na bigla nalang daw may sobrang laking wave...halos kasing taas ng puno ng niyog...1click washed out yung mga properties nila dun....buti nalang may sign and hindi gabi nangyari kung hindi di ko ako naging member dito... ;D

altheus

• at your service sir!.
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 0
there's nothing to worry, 2012 is just a hoax...

although nakaka alarma nga ang mga lindol netong nakaraan, but it's a force of nature wala tayong magagawa doon..

ang magagawa na lang natin ay mag ingat when disaster strikes again...

wag din nating kalimutan na it's also a SIGN....
sir eroto maybe it's a hoax nga ..but maybe it will happen eventually but not on the said date or the hoax thingy; it may probably happen due to global warming.

beaverjohn2006

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 187
  • CIA
Nabasa ko sa yahoo, ang axis ng earth na align na konti, due to chile earthquake and haiti.. confirmed by nasa.... Tsk!tsk!tsk! naalala ko yung nakita ko sa net, Albert Einstein warns of polar shift.. whew!

gobilam

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 1
Ang ayaw ko lang sa ganitong sunod sunod na natural disaster yung magsusulputan na mga "religious" people, na sasabihing malapit na ang wakas. Tapos lolokohin nila ang mga sasapi sa kanila at manghihingi ng "donation".

Sana matuto na ang iba nating kababayan.

Smitty Werben Man Jensen

• Once I met this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy who knew this guy...
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 56
  • who knew this guy's cousin!
  • Special Skills: Necromancy
polar shift!!!!

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
Anong masasabi ni Pat Robertson dito?

lahing kayumanggi

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
hehehehehehe...sa totoo lang eh hindi naman nakamamatay ang lindol....ang mabagsakan ka ng bahay, ung ang nakakamatay!...

kaya mga espiya....mag camping nalang tau sa labas....
pinoy ako.....may agimat ang dugo ko!...

we are the sons of bonifacio.....

altheus

• at your service sir!.
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 0
Nabasa ko sa yahoo, ang axis ng earth na align na konti, due to chile earthquake and haiti.. confirmed by nasa.... Tsk!tsk!tsk! naalala ko yung nakita ko sa net, Albert Einstein warns of polar shift.. whew!

umiksi lang naman yung araw dahil dun by "1.26 microseconds (millionths of a second),”
http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-03-01/chilean-quake-likely-shifted-earth-s-axis-nasa-scientist-says.html
 haha.pero panu kaya pag sunod sunod nang mangyari yung mga yun??..gano nakaya kahaba ang araw?.haha

Madarame Ikkaku

• Ang Dakilang First Element
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
  • I got no intentions of becoming a captain.
we're doomed! repent! LOL  ::lmao

sh*t happens  ;)
I have a knack for delivering bad news.
Religion creates nothing except intangible emotional solace for those who require it.

creeping

• c r e e p i n g
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
  • Have a nice Day!
panay lindol dito(taiwan) lately , last year december din ganun din 6.something din yun, almost may 30secs din yun, napaupo ako dahil ayaw tumigil nung lindol, talagang napadasal ako nun dahil akala ko di titigil yung linmdol, ako lang ang nasa bahay nun, di ako sumama kila erpat kumain sa labas, pagkatapos ng lindol tinawagan ko sila agad at mga highschool classmate ko,,

mga ka espiya magiingat tayo lagi..
"6ANYAHN NAH KAMEH PLSZ LUNG DONT JUDG3 USZ PUK1** KRITIX!!!!!1111two!!" - Paprika