Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Ancient Filipino Weapons  (Read 12812 times)

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
Ancient Filipino Weapons
« on: January 23, 2009, 09:28:54 am »
Well we have featured so much of modern military weapons here... So how about weapons from the past?

Didn't you guys know that some Filipino tribes, probably Tagalogs, Ilongos, Cebuanos, Tausugs and Maranaos are quite advanced in gun technology? Actually Filipinos back then have a much more advanced Cannon technology compared to Europeans!

Yun nga lang konti lang ang na-produced na cannons ng Pinoy.

Gents, I present to you the "Lantaka".

The Lantaka of the moros is a double-barreled cannon. After firing, the barrel would be rotated (like our modern Gatlings) so it can be reloaded while the other is being aimed and fired. An ancient version of fast firing guns! Also, it was mounted on swivel base insted on being fixed. Ships carrying this gun can be more maneuverable in this way. The moro privateers who used these terrified and impressed the Spaniards.

So impressed that it was reverse-engineered by the Spaniards and sent to South America. According to the book I read, it may be the forerunner of the Modern Gatling gun

rayn1984

Re: Ancient Filipino Weapons
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 10:32:21 am »
Bro Indonesians and Malaysians were the first users of Lantakas(although it is still unknown if they adopted the tech of muslims have those days, or muslims built these cannons and exported theses cannons to them).
And Europeans already have better cannons than this when Lantakan came to service

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:41:19 am »
Indonesians, Malaysians, Brunei people and Filipinos.. Actually wala pang ganon noon (wala pang filipino, malaysian nor indons, just tribes)... malawakan ang trade ng mga tribo sa malay archipelago noon.. Kaya nga ang weapons ng mga indonesians malaysians bruneians filipinos very similar. Let's not single out Filipinos among the first users sir.. AFAIK we are not sure how long have Philippine tribes have been using the Lantaka.. Basta ang malamang halos magkasabay lang gumamit ng lantaka ang mga borneans at pinoy.

Siguro nga may mga euro cannons na mas malakas pa sa lantaka mainly due to size.

Pero nung sinabi ko na mas advanced ang Lantaka dahil narin siguro sa Swivel technology nito. Mas madali i-aim ang lantaka kesa sa Euro cannons na kung saan pati yung buong platform ng cannon kailangan mo igalaw..

Meron nga ako nabasa na ang mga confiscated na lantakas ng mga kastila inilagay nila sa mga Galleons nila.. Siguro nga dahil mas pinaboran narin nila yung Lantaka over Euro cannons.

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
  • Yippee-ki-yay, motherf*cker
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:17:19 am »
IMHO, i wouldn't really call the lantaka an ancient "Filipino" weapon. Although I would acknowledge that we have weapons that are similar with our asian brethren, most if not all have been (dare i use the term) "Pinoy'd" (ayos ba? toast::). Like for example, Malaysia's kris and our own keris. It is true that they share a common design, that is, having a wavy blade. However, the kris is a ceremonial item is worn for the sake of status symbol. the Filipino keris however, is longer with a thicker metal which was used for hacking, slashing, and thrusting and was sometimes, if not always, used for combat. against the comparison i stated, the lantaka doesn't have a trace of "filipino" in it.

Second, barely a few tribes of use it. I don't think the Ifugaos would opt for such a weapon, considering that it would be difficult to drag around in the jungle. Can you just imagine how cumbersome it would be to lug around a huge cannon on uneven terrain just to bombard your opponent? Again, IMHO, such a device can only be used and was only used by ships. And if you look at our culture, not all tribes are seafarers.  So again, it is not that much of a "filipino" weapon.

toast::

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 11:56:54 am »
Not that much of a Filipino weapon...

Maybe we can say that...
Di naman talaga sigurado kung saan nanggaling ang Lantaka..

Pero AFAIK Filipino Moros were also capable of creating this Lantaka weapon.

Arab traders
Dutch
Maybe even Chinese or Vietnamese

Ang pinanggalingan ng Idea.

One thing is for sure.
Filipinos are among the first users of the Lantaka and we are already using it before Magellan came.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 01:05:47 pm »
IMHO, i wouldn't really call the lantaka an ancient "Filipino" weapon. Although I would acknowledge that we have weapons that are similar with our asian brethren, most if not all have been (dare i use the term) "Pinoy'd" (ayos ba? toast::). Like for example, Malaysia's kris and our own keris. It is true that they share a common design, that is, having a wavy blade. However, the kris is a ceremonial item is worn for the sake of status symbol. the Filipino keris however, is longer with a thicker metal which was used for hacking, slashing, and thrusting and was sometimes, if not always, used for combat. against the comparison i stated, the lantaka doesn't have a trace of "filipino" in it.

I disagree with using the term pinoy'd.
The different designs of some of the Moro Keris may have already existed long before our indo/malay father's exodus to the Philippine archipelago. Some of those designs may have been really from Indonesia and not made up in the Philippines. I'd like to add that AFAIK most Moro Keris are not wavy but straight Kris. But we also have larger version of Kalis. Similar to a Keris but Double edge and are mainly wavy.

I'd also say not all of our weapons are based on Indonesian design.

Balisong - is believed to be a pre-hispanic knife.
Balaraw - A knife that can be turned into a spear tip
Hinalung
Sanzibar
etc
I believe those above are of authentic pinoy designs.

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2009, 07:05:41 am »
that's what i said man... i said SOME weapons like the keris HAVE other asian influences on them but were modified to suit our needs.

i never mentioned "indonesian design" on my last post dude.

kaya nga, compared to the rest of the of the weapons you listed, the Lantak isn't that much of a "Ancient Filipino Weapon" cause it's not TRULY filipino.  smoking::

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2009, 09:11:35 am »
that's what i said man... i said SOME weapons like the keris HAVE other asian influences on them but were modified to suit our needs.
i never mentioned "indonesian design" on my last post dude.

kaya nga, compared to the rest of the of the weapons you listed, the Lantak isn't that much of a "Ancient Filipino Weapon" cause it's not TRULY filipino.  smoking::

Di yata tayo nagkaka intindihan dun sa Keris part  :D ... Anyway...
What do you mean by modified to suit our needs? I'm not an expert with Moro swords and design. Care to explain?
What modifications are those?

True, we cannot call the Lantaka a weapon invented by Filipinos, but during those times... when the Lantaka was created, there was no Indonesia, Malaysia nor Philippines. The terms were only invented to divide the sections of land the European colonizers would grab. The Filipino Moros along with their Indonesian, Javanese, Malay and Bornean brothers had become like closely allied federated states after the collapse of the Majapahit Empire around the 1500 century. Our Indo-Malay Ancestors were once a part of an Empire along with Indonesian, Malaysian, Bornean tribes. The Lantaka was born during the times of the Majapahit empire, and as Filipinos who decended down from the Majapahit Empire, IMO we have a stake at the claim that (our moro ancestors) are the first users of these guns. I don't think our ancestors were just copying tech from other tribes but it was a technology really provided to our ancestors as part of the Majapahit Empire.

So... we can say it is a Filipino weapon as part of our heritage IMO since we are the last user and manufacturer and descendants of an Empire that first started using this Lantaka cannon.

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2009, 07:37:53 pm »
Point taken.

IMHO, our ancestors used the kris as a tool than a ceremonial trinket. If you may, in order to differentiate the two, I'll use the word kalis to mean the filipino design and kris to mean the malaysian design.

The kris (or kris dagger since the size was more of a dagger's) was often used for ceremonial purposes (such as execution) and was often times carried (or worn) to denote prestige. Its wavy design and thinness made the kris effective only as a stabbing weapon. Going blade to blade with another weapon, IMHO, would break it. I recall my teacher calling it a "magic wand" of sorts.

The kalis is made to be heavier, thicker and longer. Its design made it possible for a stabbing, hacking and slashing movements. The keris was used more of as a weapon (though it also was used as a sign of prestige). And yes, i agree with what you said about the kalis and its straight design. More practical than the original kris design, yes? toast::

It's no surprise if there were influences in our blade design. After all, as you said, iisang lahi lang tayo.

Hell, if you ask me, if i were to choose between the kalis and the kris in a fight, i'll pick the kalis any day.

Oh and personally, i think the Kampilan should be the national sword (and should truly be the Ancient Filipino Weapon, don't you think?haha). Pinas lang ata ang may ganun na design. toast::

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2009, 08:42:42 pm »
Good topic. Buti na lang walang nagpumilit ng existence ni Panday Pira.

Idiot

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 64
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2009, 09:08:40 pm »
diba sa history ng Pinas na colonize tayo ng

aeta

Indonesia

at

malay

walang pang word na pinoy noon or indonesians or malaysian or thai

at that point in time

originals natin lahat yan na nag-iiba ang design base sa environment at culture

Ang point lang ni zero

kung hindi lang tayo nasakop ng kastila napa-advance natin ang civilization at may sarili tayong identity na ipagmamalaki sa mundo  kaso lang magiging muslim tayo

kevkevkev

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 2
  • two steps forward one step back.....
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 09:31:53 pm »
ang alam kong original na pinoy eh ang home made pillbox hehehhe ::redalert
katakot lalo na pag binato sa loob ng skul

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2009, 12:15:10 am »
Point taken.

IMHO, our ancestors used the kris as a tool than a ceremonial trinket. If you may, in order to differentiate the two, I'll use the word kalis to mean the filipino design and kris to mean the malaysian design.

The kris (or kris dagger since the size was more of a dagger's) was often used for ceremonial purposes (such as execution) and was often times carried (or worn) to denote prestige. Its wavy design and thinness made the kris effective only as a stabbing weapon. Going blade to blade with another weapon, IMHO, would break it. I recall my teacher calling it a "magic wand" of sorts.

The kalis is made to be heavier, thicker and longer. Its design made it possible for a stabbing, hacking and slashing movements. The keris was used more of as a weapon (though it also was used as a sign of prestige). And yes, i agree with what you said about the kalis and its straight design. More practical than the original kris design, yes? toast::

It's no surprise if there were influences in our blade design. After all, as you said, iisang lahi lang tayo.

Hell, if you ask me, if i were to choose between the kalis and the kris in a fight, i'll pick the kalis any day.

Oh and personally, i think the Kampilan should be the national sword (and should truly be the Ancient Filipino Weapon, don't you think?haha). Pinas lang ata ang may ganun na design. toast::

Actually isa akong hilaw na Filipino swordsman... Haha... an Arnisador at your serbis (Kali/ Arnis De Mano practitioner here). Mejo may kaalaman din ako sa mga iba ibang klase ng itak at mga patalim ng ating ninuno.

Ang Kalis, As far as I know hindi siya Inimbento ng Pilipino... Dalawang groups lang ang meron nito. Ang mga Javanese na kung saan ang Kalis nila ay maliit at ang mga Pilipino, posibly yung mga taga Luzon ang mayroong Kalis na mas malaki at pang gyera talaga.

Sa pagkaka alam ko di naman lahat ng Kris pare parehas ang size din... may Iba iba depende sa tribong gumawa. Yung mga iba wavy at yung mga Iba straight type na Keris. About your teacher saying its more of a magic wand... Siguro luma na yung Keris or marupok na at nasisira yung handle on Impact.. Kasi some type of Glue lang ata ang dikit nun. Pero there are also stories from some soldiers daw na yung M16 rifle daw naputol in two by just one slash of a Keris from a Moro rebel.

About the Kampilan... yes it's the biggest war sword of the Filipinos, Some would say when it comes to effectiveness both the Kampilan and Kalis are comparable to the Japanese Katana. But also Brunei people use this sword... As far as I know the Kampilan is the official sword of the Royal guard of Sultan of Brunei.

Good topic. Buti na lang walang nagpumilit ng existence ni Panday Pira.

Sir Neckro, Panday Pira is indeed considered a myth pero I'm not disqualifying his existence agad. Totoo talaga na may magagaling na Blacksmith na Pilipino noon. And totoo din na ang mga Pilipino noon ay maypagka stargazers and they collect meteorite steel and forged Damascene Kalis/Kris (maybe other blade types) mixed with meteorite steel... They say these kinds of meteorite enhanced blades are very very sharp. And also ang tunay na tinatawag na anting anting talaga noong kapanahunan nila Lapu-lapu is either oil na pinapahid sa katawan before going to battle or yung Blade mismo. I think such kind of a meteorite enhanced blade is considered anting anting noon.

I think i've seen a Photo of a meteorite steel Kalis somewhere in the net. Iba yung bakal nya. Damascene talaga may bands ng black haze dun sa bakal halatang may halo.

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2009, 05:18:22 am »
same here. Mandirigmang Kaliradman member po sir.:) branch po ng Lightining Scientific Arnis International (LSAI). interesting topic you raised here sir. may natutunan nanaman ako.  toast::

tama.kaka search ko  lang sa net na yun nga gamit ng sultan ng brunei. kampilan and kelasak right? i guess yun yung "kalasag" dito sa atin.

Arnis de Mano by GM Remy Presas ba? toast::

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2009, 07:44:27 am »
same here. Mandirigmang Kaliradman member po sir.:) branch po ng Lightining Scientific Arnis International (LSAI). interesting topic you raised here sir. may natutunan nanaman ako.  toast::

tama.kaka search ko  lang sa net na yun nga gamit ng sultan ng brunei. kampilan and kelasak right? i guess yun yung "kalasag" dito sa atin.

Arnis de Mano by GM Remy Presas ba? toast::

Hahaha! Pugay!

Actually both LSAI and Modern Arnis, too bad di ko naabutan si Mang Ben sa Marikina City.

I'm a personal student of Grandmaster Vicente Sanchez of Kali Arnis International. :D

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2009, 08:00:07 am »
i would've loved to have met mang ben as well. great great man. i swear he could pulverize my sorry @$$ even though he's well into his 80's. the man's a legend not just in the FMA world.

i'm kinda presuming you've been with the art far longer than i have(?). i started 2007ish. is sir jon still around? i only hear news about him from my teacher, seniors and ever reliable youtube. ;D

i wonder, any other eskrimadors here in espiya?

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2009, 08:27:22 am »
OT

Around October 2007 ako nag start. 2 months na walang practice. Amp amp amp!!

Anyway can you identify kung ano yung hawak ng mandirigmang Maranaw na ito?

I think it has a crossguard? Kampilan?

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2009, 06:18:13 pm »
paki re-up ng pic tol.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2009, 11:13:20 pm »
Sure ka? It seems to be working naman sakin.

Anyway...

A Filipino Moro warrior in Full battle gear with a Kampilan sword on the right hand.

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2009, 11:20:00 pm »
The Kampilan

From Wikipedia:

The Kampilan is a long sword widely used in the pre-conquest Philippine Islands, and still in use by most Filipino Muslims, and other Filipino groups today, especially by the Maguindanao, and the Maranao Moros population. The term "Kampilan" is known all over the Islands, but it describes various types of swords. Mactan chieftain Rajah Lapu-Lapu, and his warriors were reported to have wielded this weapon to great effect when they defeated the Spaniards, and killed Portuguese explorer Ferdinand Magellan in the Battle of Mactan on April 27, 1521. The sword is mentioned in ancient Filipino epics such as the Hinilawod of the Hiligaynon society.

The Kampilan is single-edged and about 34 to 40 inches long. The hilt is quite long to counterbalance the weight and length of the blade. Most hilts are of hardwood, invariably with the same shape: a cross guard ("Sampak") and a Pommel shaped in an animal's wide open mouth, be it a Crocodile or "Bakonawa", with "Okir" carvings. Some Kampilan have goat hair tassels attached to the hilt.

The blade is thick and narrow at its base but gets thinner and wider to the truncated point. Some blades have a spike at the point. The original Kampilan used by Rajah Lapu-Lapu have a laminated blade with a central layer of steel; some older examples show a "Pamor" specific to the Arabic pattern-welding process. A competently-forged Kampilan has a blade tough and versatile enough to hack off limbs, cut through vegetation, and even lumber.

inton

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #20 on: January 25, 2009, 11:44:35 pm »
YOYO - used as a weapon by early filipinos :-)

rayn1984

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2009, 07:00:22 am »
bro i found something that mentioned lantaka shared traits of muslim deisgn cannons. and probably this were exported to the tribes you mentioned by muslims and chinese because the design of curvings found in these cannons are arab's workings. im not sure if filipinos are really the first users because there are cilizations closer to the middle east than the southern part of our country. besides that when magellan came they do have cannons already. and i dont think this became useful when the confrontation between magellan's men and lapulapu's men was held.(poisoned tip arrows and sword(sibat) were the weapons that should be credited.)
Not that much of a Filipino weapon...

Maybe we can say that...
Di naman talaga sigurado kung saan nanggaling ang Lantaka..

Pero AFAIK Filipino Moros were also capable of creating this Lantaka weapon.

Arab traders
Dutch
Maybe even Chinese or Vietnamese

Ang pinanggalingan ng Idea.

One thing is for sure.
Filipinos are among the first users of the Lantaka and we are already using it before Magellan came.

Black_Sheep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2009, 08:40:20 am »
well, one thing's for sure...the lantaka wasn't widely used. it should have been mentioned  Pigafetta's recordings at least. smoking::

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2009, 01:29:21 pm »
Sa pagkaka alam ko Lantaka was mentioned during Martin De Goiti's exploits in Maynilad, na-capture daw kasi ni De Goiti ang mga Lantaka ni Rajah Soliman. Ang sabi pa nga sa ibang sources about the Philippine Lantaka, eto daw talaga ang nagpahirap sa Conquest ng mga Castillan laban sa Moros.

About the design of the Lantaka... if it was a design of the Arabs back then, it makes me wonder why there are no informations comming in about Lantaka serving in Arab nations. Maybe the cannon idea was gained from Arabs and Chinese people. But the design, the way a cannon was reinvented could probably be of our race. Also I think the swivel technology of the Lantaka that made it more easier to use and more accurate is unique to us.

Anyway I found this link:

http://www.tagalog.ws/mod/wiki/view.php?id=19

Mayo 19, 1570 - Maynila

Giniyahan ng dalawang magkapatid na taga-Maynila ang mga Kastila at Lipong papunta sa barangay. Ang dalawang Tagalog na ito ay magkapatid na regular na nakikipagkalakalan sa mga Kastila sa Panay. Sinabi ng mga kastila na nagpakumberte raw sa Katoliko ang mga Morong ito at naninirahan na sa Panay kasama ang pamilya nila. Naatasan ang kapatid ng isa na ang pangalan ay Muhamad (Mehomete, Mahomete) na maging tulay ng mga Kastila kay Raha Soliman, ang datu ng Maynila.

Matapos ang ikatlong araw, bumalik ang kapatid ni Muhamad na kasama ang amain nito na tauhan ni Soliman. Ipinahayag ng amain na siya ang ipinadalang tagapagsalita ng datu at ipinahayag ang pagnanasa ng Maynila na makipagkasundo sa mga Kastila.

Ang Maynila ay nasa kinatatayuan ngayon ng Intramuros, sa wawa ng ilog Pasig. Mayroon itong moog na yari sa puno ng niyog. May mga lantaka sa tarangkahan na binabantayan ng mga mandirigmang hawak ang panindi.

Noong araw na ito ay may apat na bumibisitang barko ng Sangli sa barangay.

Noong umaga ng Mayo 23, unang nakipagtagpo sa pinuno ng Kastila si Raha Matanda (Ladya Matanda o Raha Ache), kasama ng kanyang tauhan sa baybaying dagat. Siya ang matandang datu ng Maynila na amain ni Soliman. Ayon kay Henry Scott  lolo ni Raha Matanda sa ina ang sultan ng Brunei na si Sultan Bulkeiah. Pinsan naman niya si Lakan Dula na datu ng Tondo sa kabilang pampang ng Pasig. Namatay ang anak ni Raha Matanda kaya pinili niya ang pamangking si Soliman na pumalit sa kanya. 2

Pagkatapos ay sumunod si Raha Soliman mismo. Malamang na si Soliman na mas bata ay ang Raha Mura (Raha Muda o kahaliling Raha) ng Maynila. Mataas ang pagkilala ni Soliman sa sarili, at bagama't sinabi niya sa mga dayuhan na natutuwa siyang maging kaibigan sila. Pero binanggit niya na hindi sila Lipong, at hindi nila palalagpasin ang anumang kalapastanganan, tulad ng ginawa ng iba. Nagbabala siya na gagantihan nila ng kamatayan ang pinakamaliit na pagyurak sa kanilang dangal.

Dahil inis ang mga taga-Maynila sa mga dayuhan, nanatili ang mga Kastila at Lipong sa baybaying dagat sa labas ng kuta. Dinadalaw sila ng mga tagalog at inuusisa ang mga astinggal nila, habang bitbit ang sariling sandata. Binibuwisit din nila ang mga Kastila kaya natutulog ang mga ito sa kanikaniyang bangka.

Umuwi si Muhamad sa mga kamag-anak niya noong alas-tres ng hapon. Kinabukasan, Mayo 23, napag-alaman ni Soliman ang nangyari sa ibang barangay na hiningan ng buwis na ginto ng mga dayuhan, kaya isinugo niya ang si Muhamad at amain nito para sabihan ang mga dayuhan na pinagbabawalan niya silang pumasok sa Pasig. Nang pumasok ang puno ng mga Kastila na si Martin de Goiti, kasama ang mga dalubasa sa kuta ay pinaghintay siya sa isang bahay, at doon siya kinatagpo ni Soliman.

Dito nakipagsandugo si Soliman kay Goiti. Alalaong bagaa'y sinugatan nila ang bisig at pinatak ang mga dugo sa iisang inuman ng alak. Kahalo ng alak ay ininum ng dalawa ito bilang sagisag ng pagkakapatiran o pagkakaisa ng dugo ng mga Tagalog at Kastila.

Pero tuso rin si Soliman, at ginamit lamang ang pagbalam sa digmaan sa pagtawag ng tulong mula sa mga barangay sa ilaya, malamang ay sa barangay ng Pasig, Kainta at Bai. Hinihintay din nila ang pag-ulan para mabasa ang mga astinggal ng mga Kastila. Ang mga baril na ito ay parang maliit na kanyon na ang panindi ay mitsang tali na nakakabit sa martilyo na magsisindi sa baril kapag kinalabit ang gatilyo. Nakalabas ang mitsang ito na mahaba kaya mababasa kapag umulan. Noong hapon ay naghanda si Soliman na magpasamasid ng kanyang hukbong lupa at dagat, sa pagbabalatkayo ng pagdiriwang ng sandugo. Nang mapansin ito ng mga Kastila ay idinahilan pa ni Soliman na si Lakan Dula ang may pakana ng lahat, at ang kanyang paghahanda ay para lamang matulungan ang mga dayuhan. 1

Mayo 24, 1570. Alas diyes ng umaga ay nakakita ng tapak (isang bangkang pangalakal) ang mga dayuhan at inakala na balangay ito, kaya sinugod nila ito ng paraw nila. Pero ng makilala ni Goiti ang anyo ng bangka ay pinabalik ang paraw sa pamamagitan ng pagpapaputok ng kanyon.

Inakala ni Soliman na sinimulan na ng mga Kastila ang paglusob kaya gumanting putok sila mula sa kuta. Dalawang bala ang bumutas sa isang barko ng Kastila. Sala ang isa pa.

Nagapi ang mga taga-Maynila at sinunog ng mga dayuhan ang kuta at bahayan. Tumakas ang mga taga-Maynila pailaya sakay ng balangay at mga bangka. Ang isa sa mga blangay ay naglulan ng 300 hanggang 400 mandirigma at mananagwan, at maraming lantaka. Pinalilibutan ito ng mahigit sa 500 paraw at iba't-ibang daong ng mga Tagalog na puno ng mandirigma.

Nakuha ng mga Kastila ang labintatlong lantaka ng Maynila. Nakita pa ang isang hulmahan ng ginagawang kanyon na 17 talampakan ang haba, kasinghaba ng kanyon ng mga kastila.

Mga isandaang Tagalog ang napatay sa sunog o tama ng bala ng astinggal. Walumpu ang nabihag. Sa bayan ay nabihag din ang mga naninirahang apatnapung Sangli at dalawampung Hapon.

Dahil walang sapat na puwersa ang mga dayuhan para habulin ang mga Tagalog pailaya sa Pasig, napilitan silang umurong sa Panay.

Hunyo, 1571. Cainta

Matapos magapi ang Butas, ay lumusong ang mga taga-Cainta para makipagkasundo sa mga dayuhan sa Maynila. Nang makita nila ang kalagayan ng mga kaaway ay hinamak nila ang mga ito. Kaya nagpahayag sila na mas nanaisin nilang makipagdigma sa halip na makipagasandugo. At kung aahon daw ang mga dayuhan sa Cainta, ipapakita nila kung paano nila ihahagis ang mga banyaga palabas ng lupain nila.

Lumipas ang isa o dalawang buwan. Noong Agosto 18, 1571 ipinagtanggol ng mga taga-Cainta ang kanilang balangay sa pamamagitan ng maliit na kuta na may ilang lantaka. Isinigaw pa ng mga nasa kuta na, sa araw ng  paghahamok ay mapapatunayan na ang kanilang Bathala ay higit kaysa sa Diyos ng mga Kastila.

Agosto 21, nagsimula ang labanan. Dalawang kaaway na nagtangkang pumasok ang napatay ng mga nasa kuta sa pamamagitan  ng maliit na lantaka. Isa pa ang sinibat at napatay. Subali't hindi  ito naging sapat at nakubkob ang kuta ng kaaway. Apat na raan ang  napatay sa mga Tagalog, babae at lalaki. Ang iba na nakatakas ay sumuko pagkatapos. Winasak ng mga kaaway ang kuta ng Cainta.

rayn1984

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2009, 04:02:44 pm »
Sa pagkaka alam ko Lantaka was mentioned during Martin De Goiti's exploits in Maynilad, na-capture daw kasi ni De Goiti ang mga Lantaka ni Rajah Soliman. Ang sabi pa nga sa ibang sources about the Philippine Lantaka, eto daw talaga ang nagpahirap sa Conquest ng mga Castillan laban sa Moros.

About the design of the Lantaka... if it was a design of the Arabs back then, it makes me wonder why there are no informations comming in about Lantaka serving in Arab nations. Maybe the cannon idea was gained from Arabs and Chinese people. But the design, the way a cannon was reinvented could probably be of our race. Also I think the swivel technology of the Lantaka that made it more easier to use and more accurate is unique to us.

Anyway I found this link:

http://www.tagalog.ws/mod/wiki/view.php?id=19

maari bro ang poblema lang e hindi na credit sa atin ito. honestly i found something. Check wikipedia's lakandula bros, check niyo yung sinabi ng wikipedia sa kanya(hindi niya minention ang sinasabi ng isa sa mga source niya na galing sa mga moros) at i check niyo rin ang source nya sa pinakaibaba (talagang walang kwenta ang wikipedia, unreliable)

pakicompare ung sinabi  sa lantaka
ung source ng wiki > http://www.sharpblades.net/
ung page about sa lantaka > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lantaka

hindi man lang na mention ang mga moros natin!!!