Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: How to improve my English speaking skills?  (Read 8972 times)

Anders.Bonifacio

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Re: How to improve my English speaking skills?
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2013, 08:36:19 am »
same problem kaso mas mahirap yata sa bansa na napuntahan ko... Australia... ang layo layo nila sa american english. accent and minsan iba yung terms nila sa mga object..

meron ba dito taga australia?

well you know the saying... when in rome do as the romans do.

like i mentioned earlier, take some ESL classes din pareng clickaway.

teresa1258

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2013, 09:04:23 am »
tol pagnahihirapan ka na sabihin mo lng agad yung salitag "how about you" ...

Oh-Em-Gee

• Ang bayang maagang maglandi. Masisibak ng mahapdi
  • Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 11
  • I want my swords big.. and my shields BIGGER
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2013, 11:06:43 am »
1. read periodicals. not tabloids.

2. speak to yourself in the mirror using english

3. try not to add the "twang" in your accent unless you want to sound like a trying hard person. try not to be sassy unless you want to sound like mommy D.

4. listen to commentaries or videos, look for tutorials. follow them as to how they speak a word. one by one, then as a phrase then sentence.

5. in your posts here, try to speak in english. then re-read your reply/post before hitting the post button. look for any grammatical error or something that doesnt sound right.

6. read. read. read a lot.

7. research for the country's dialect, what are the usual phrases they use, euphemisms, etc.

8. it doesnt have to be perfect, what's important is you are able to comprehend and what you say is understandable.

well i hope that works.

Good eye might. (if you get this right, you're good to go)
Give a man a fish and he'll be able to live for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he'll become a fisherman.

astute2869

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 3
  • Fast Dont Lie
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2013, 12:26:55 pm »
the best way to understand American English is watching Stand-up comedy since theres a comic for every place in america from Blacks to whites to rednecks to latinos and whatever the hell Jo Koy is
Up this!
plus during your spare time,watch some hollywood movies, tv shows, read some magazines.
and try to maximize talking to people around you in English, even though they are fellow Filipinos, doesnt matter kapag inisip ni lang masyadong mong dinidibdib pag iingles. It is for your own benefit.  toast::

pinoylude

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2013, 12:41:39 pm »
'tol I was in your situation dati ang alam mo anong magandang libreng practice dyan? kumanta ka ng Ingles kahit anong genre. I suggest yung mababagal muna o mellow para mabigkas mo ng mabuti. and then kung comfortable ka na then rap na naman para mapabilis. you mentioned "speaking" skills but mind you, mabilis din ang pananalita nila kaya ang comprehension medyo kelangan ng patience kaya practice ka na sa

"I'm sorry can you repeat that?"

"I'm sorry but can you speak a little slower?"

remember 'tol, matatalino ang Pinoy at Pinay, subalit hindi tayo sanay sa kabilisan ng kanilang lenguahe pero patients and tyaga lamang ang katapat dyan. Huwag ka lang makalimot na tumingin sa kapwa mo Pinoy ok? Goodluck

speedbluestar

• Console Gamers
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 3
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2013, 05:41:46 pm »
Natuwa naman ako mga kaespiya sa response nyong lahat, akala ko aamagin tong tinanong ko. Haha..anyway, kakauwi ko lang sa work kaya ngayon lang ako nakareply. Salamat sa inyong lahat, hindi ko na iqquote yung mga sinabi nyo kasi andami eh pero promise madami talaga ako natutunan dito. Tingin ko sa sarili ko eh magaling lang ako kapag na anticipate ko na yung sasabihin ko o yung sasabihin ng kausap ko pero kapag tipong impromptu na, patay na! Hahaha. Siguro nasanay lang siguro ako sa atin na maconscious kapag mag English na. Pag nanunuod ako ng tv dito lagi may subtitle except lang kapag NBA mahirap makita score eh. Hehe..

Yung ibang Pinoy dito simple lang English nila(yung walang malalim na English words) pero spontaneous sila makipag usap. Wala pa naman ako na encounter na Pinoy 20+ years na dito na akala mo kung sino mag English. Anyway, itrry ko talagang gawin lahat ng mga nasabi nyo. Salamat mga kaespiya! #1.  ;)

McDaffy

• Just because you live in a castle, it doesn't make you a king.
  • 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 1
  • You're Despicable
« Reply #31 on: March 24, 2013, 08:23:24 am »
Bro, try mo mag-basa, manuod ng TV in English lahat. And try mo makipag conversate sa mga foreign people jan(total mostly sa mga foregn people hindi din marunong sa grammar). Kapag nasa bahay ka tapos wala kang magagawa try mo makipag conversate sa sarili mo. from time to time makaka-gain ka ng confidence at maging fluent ka din sa English. Hope makakatulong to sayo. Good luck.  ;D  ::pampam

Danelle

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 48
  • I often talk to myself and think out loud...
    • Sometimes Danelle
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2013, 06:04:19 am »
1. read periodicals. not tabloids.

2. speak to yourself in the mirror using english

3. try not to add the "twang" in your accent unless you want to sound like a trying hard person. try not to be sassy unless you want to sound like mommy D.

4. listen to commentaries or videos, look for tutorials. follow them as to how they speak a word. one by one, then as a phrase then sentence.

5. in your posts here, try to speak in english. then re-read your reply/post before hitting the post button. look for any grammatical error or something that doesnt sound right.

6. read. read. read a lot.

7. research for the country's dialect, what are the usual phrases they use, euphemisms, etc.

8. it doesnt have to be perfect, what's important is you are able to comprehend and what you say is understandable.

well i hope that works.

Good eye might. (if you get this right, you're good to go)

I agree with Oh-Em-Gee!

I learned the english language by reading Archie comics and lots of paper back romances, young adult novels, and classics when I was in elementary school. My sisters and I would read the comics out like actors practicing lines, just for fun. Eventually we got used to what sounded like proper grammar. By the time I get to high school, I was used to thinking in english.

But, of course, it can be different with conversational english. But reading a lot of topics -- from technical stuff or work-related stuff, local dailies, national news, international news, magazines, or anything (even trivial stuff) can help arm you with topics to talk about with other people. 

Good luck! :)
--------
"The greatest deception men suffer is from their own opinions." -- Leonardo da Vinci

bAnaNa nUt cRunCh

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 39
  • Positivity
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2013, 09:13:06 am »
Practice, practice and more practice. :)

Keep yourself exposed to the English language Sir. Watch English videos, listen to English music, read English articles, speak and think in English.

And before you focus on the accent, focus on your sentence structure first. Grammar and pronunciation is always greater than accent. :)

Goodluck and God bless Sir! :D
Wala akong sig. Eto nalang >> 2007 | Bravehearts