kinjikitatani

• lover boy
  • Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
    • kinji's hideout
401(k)
« on: October 10, 2006, 11:41:44 pm »
i heard this sort of retirement plan in the US a hundred times before, but i have no idea how this works.  i planning to set up a retirement plan of my own, and i was thinking maybe i can pattern it after 401(k). but i don't know how this works. maybe king carlos can help. hehee.

thanks..
I don't judge other people.  I just laugh at their mistakes.

yobibs

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 3
Re: 401(k)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2006, 11:54:40 pm »
 maybe this will help ... a 401 k is usually offered by the company you work for ... you allot a percent of your salary every paycheck and your company meets your contribution ... so, dumodoble yung tinatabi mo .. saka they deduct it before taxes kaya 'di nakukuha ni Uncle Sam yung pera mo ... the company usually uses this money for their company stocks or invests it in the stock market or other investments. Just be careful ... make sure the company is solid ... check your statements ... if you do this for a couple of years religiously, you wil have a pretty good amount of money saved. If you work for yourself ... check IRA"s Individual retitement Accounts if offered sa Banko mo ... wala ding tax until you use it when you are of retierment age ... if you're just starting out ... money market savings saka T-Bills o' Bonds ... it's great that you want to save for the future ... believe me it works ... you won't realize it ... madami ka na pa lang napundar .. kaya ... ka easy easy na lang ... pa golf golf if you like that lifestyle ... o' nakababd sa compputer ... naaaliw sa Pinoy Spy !

Prince Barry

• Prinsipe ng Korokan
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Prinsipe rin ng kalokohan!
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2006, 10:48:51 am »
401 (k)? ano ba yan para lang ba sa mga tagaUS?

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2006, 12:15:47 pm »
um, kakatamad magexplain men, sensha na, lasing ako eh....

hehehehehe

yobibs partly explained it naman....though ira n 401(k) is medyo diff....

here are some reference sites nalang....il explain nalang maybe tom...

:)

http://invest-faq.com/articles/ret-plan-401k.html

http://www.401khelpcenter.com/

====================

ito, calculator to compute ur 401k with ur current salary...

http://www.bloomberg.com/invest/calculators/401k.html

=====================

u can also wikipedia it, though havent read it yet, ung sa wiki....

dito kaba based kinji?

marami parin namang ibang alternative investments dito....

visca el barca!

cutettko

• Citizen
  • Karma 0
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2007, 11:22:39 pm »
401K retirement plan in the US is somewhat similar to
- all contributions are deducted from your salary and are not-taxed
- all earnings are not taxed as well
when you reached the retirement age, then you can start taking your money then you'll be taxed
- when you take your money before your retu=irement age, there is a penalty

Most of the money are invested in mutual funds

pikapika2501

• Webmasters/Programmer
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 9
  • "Ikaw na ako, ikaw na gwapo!"
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 05:06:05 pm »
pag may tanong po sa US taxes. ask me lang. i did work for a US company that has something to do with taxes and I also do tax preparation. nagulat nga ako bat may 401(k) dito eh  psrulez::

pikapika2501

• Webmasters/Programmer
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 9
  • "Ikaw na ako, ikaw na gwapo!"
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2007, 05:07:38 pm »
A section 401(k) plan is a type of tax-qualified deferred compensation plan in which an employee can elect to have the employer contribute a portion of his or her cash wages to the plan on a pre–tax basis. These deferred wages (commonly referred to as elective deferrals) are not subject to income tax withholding at the time of deferral, and they are not reflected on your  Form 1040 (PDF) since they were not included in the taxable wages on your  Form W-2 (PDF). However, they are included as wages subject to social security, Medicare, and federal unemployment taxes.

The amount that an employee may elect to defer to a 401(k) plan is limited. Therefore, your elective contributions may be limited based on the terms of your 401(k) plan. Refer to Publication 525, Taxable and Nontaxable Income, for more information about elective deferrals. Employers should refer to Publication 560, Retirement Plans for Small Business, for information about setting up and maintaining retirement plans for employees, including 401(k) plans.

Distributions from a 401(k) plan may qualify for optional lump–sum distribution treatment or rollover treatment as long as they meet the respective requirements. For more information, refer to Topic 412, Lump–Sum Distributions, Topic 413, Rollovers from Retirement Plans, and Topic 555, 10–Year Tax Option for Lump–Sum Distributions.

Many 401(k) plans allow employees to make a hardship withdrawal because of immediate and heavy financial needs. Generally, hardship distributions from a 401(k) plan are limited to the amount of the employee's elective deferrals only, and do not include any income earned on the deferred amounts. Hardship distributions are not treated as eligible rollover distributions.

Distributions received before age 59 1/2 are subject to an early distribution penalty of 10% additional tax unless an exception applies.