Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Expedition finds 300 species in one trip to the Philippines  (Read 2665 times)

Paprika

• Melodramatic Fool
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Boy Haiku
Researchers from the California Academy of Sciences believe they have identified 300 new species during a biological expedition that focused on the Island of Luzon, Philippines, according to the organization’s news release.

These new species include insects, spiders, corals, sea pens, sea urchins, sea stars, “colorful” sea slugs, and more. 

Among some of the more interesting new species are a swell shark that eats shrimp, a cicada that makes a “laughing” call, a starfish that only eats sunken driftwood, and a crab with needle-like teeth on its pincers.

The findings will be confirmed through microscopes and DNA sequencing in the coming months.

Dr. Terrence Gosliner of the academy said he found “new species during nearly every dive and hike as [they] surveyed the country's reefs, rainforests, and the ocean floor.”

Scientists believe 90 percent of the species on planet earth have not yet been discovered by humans.  These undiscovered species are concentrated in areas of great biodiversity, according to ScienceDaily.

Luzon, Philippines is one such area, said Gosliner. 

However, many of these areas are facing habitat loss and degradation, thus putting undiscovered species in danger of being wiped out. 

Besides discovering and document new species, the California Academy of Sciences expedition used the information they gathered to make recommendations to Philippines authority on the preservation of the country’s wildlife.

See a few photos after the jump.

via International Business Times
I know a word that starts with F and ends in UCK. Firetruck.

wayneronaldo

• united rule!
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
  • fuck you Barcelona!
Re: Expedition finds 300 species in one trip to the Philippines
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:20:11 pm »
sir kasama ba jan sa expedition si kuya kim? last sunday kasi nakita ko, may expedition din si kuya kim, siguro yan na nga yun.

http://www.facebook.com/manchesterunited
http://www.manutd.com/en.aspx

TILL THE LAST MINUTE OF MY LIFE THIS CLUB WILL BE ALWAYS IN MY HEART! UNITED FOR LIFE!

Gat J.P. Rizal

• Gold Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 76
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 01:34:45 pm »
isama na nila yung tuko sa lista malapit na yang ma extinct.

comsci24

• Regional: America-Canada
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 7
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 03:26:38 pm »
Good news yan at least may mga good finds sa pilipinas. malay mo nasa pilipinas pala na newly found species ang cure sa AIDS yayaman na lahat ng pilipino hahaha.  :applause  toast::
http://i48.tinypic.com/2hwz1jn.jpg
Read new signature rule -- support@espiya.net

popeye1981

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 04:28:20 pm »
Good news yan at least may mga good finds sa pilipinas. malay mo nasa pilipinas pala na newly found species ang cure sa AIDS yayaman na lahat ng pilipino hahaha.  :applause  toast::

Naubos na daw yung tuko sa Indonesia, Malaysia at Thailand kaya sa Pilipinas na naman uubusin yung resources.....

solmyr

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
  • Rockman!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 05:06:07 pm »
What I believe is its all old species who had gone through evolution. Isipin niyo na lang, isda or coral na nakaka survive sa basura! ibang klase yun! Nagevolve sila sa pagtira sa manila bay! ^_^

Paprika

• Melodramatic Fool
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Boy Haiku
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 05:12:30 am »
Top story na naman ang bansa about dito. Here is one photo of the 'inflatable' shark, one of the 300 new species found.

I know a word that starts with F and ends in UCK. Firetruck.

reypinioco96

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 1
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:13:51 am »
gandang basahin pag ganito mga balita.. ;)