Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: gloomy sunday  (Read 7477 times)

wapapakz

• Pioneer
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
gloomy sunday
« on: June 19, 2011, 05:59:47 pm »
pa delete na lang po kung posted na

In December, 1932, a down and out Hungarian named Reszo Seress was trying to make a living as a songwriter in Paris, but kept failing miserably. All of his compositions failed to impress the music publishers of France, but Seress carried on chasing his dream nevertheless. He was determined to become an internationally famous songwriter. His girlfriend had constant rows with him over the insecurity of his ambitious life. She urged him to get a full-time 9 to 5 job, but Seress was uncompromising. He told her he was to be a songwriter or a hobo, and that was that.

One afternoon, things finally came to a head. Seress and his fiancée had a fierce row over his utter failure as a composer, and the couple parted with angry words.

On the day after the row - which happened to be a Sunday - Seress sat at the piano in his apartment, gazing morosely through the window at the Parisian skyline. Outside, storm-clouds gathered in the grey sky, and soon the heavy rain began to pelt down.

"What a gloomy Sunday" Seress said to himself as he played about on the piano's ivories, and quite suddenly, his hands began to play a strange melancholy melody that seemed to encapsulate the downhearted way he was feeling over his quarrel with his girl and the state of the dispiriting weather.

"Yes, Gloomy Sunday! That will be the title of my new song" muttered Seress, excitedly, and he grabbed a pencil and wrote the notes down on an old postcard. Thirty minutes later he had completed the song.

Seress sent his composition off to a music publisher and waited for acceptance with a lot more hope than he usually had in his heart. A few days later, the song-sheet was returned with a rejection note stapled to it that stated: "Gloomy Sunday has a weird but highly depressing melody and rhythm, and we are sorry to say that we cannot use it."

The song was sent off again to another publisher, and this time it was accepted. The music publisher told Seress that his song would soon be distributed to all the major cities of the world. The young Hungarian was ecstatic.

But a few months after Gloomy Sunday was printed, there were a spate of strange occurrences that were allegedly sparked off by the new song. In Berlin, a young man requested a band to play Gloomy Sunday, and after the number was performed, the man went home and blasted himself in the head with a revolver after complaining to relatives that he felt severely depressed by the melody of a new song which he couldn't get out of his head. That song was Gloomy Sunday.

A week later in the same city, a young female shop assistant was found hanging from a rope in her flat. Police who investigated the suicide found a copy of the sheet-music to Gloomy Sunday in the dead girl's bedroom.

Two days after that tragedy, a young secretary in New York gassed herself, and in a suicide note she requested Gloomy Sunday to be played at her funeral. Weeks later, another New Yorker, aged 82, jumped to his death from the window of his seventh-story apartment after playing the 'deadly' song on his piano. Around the same time, a teenager in Rome who had heard the unlucky tune jumped off a bridge to his death.

The newspapers of the world were quick to report other deaths associated with Seress' song. One newspaper covered the case of a woman in North London who had been playing a 78 recording of Gloomy Sunday at full volume, infuriating and frightening her neighbors, who had read of the fatalities supposedly caused by the tune. The stylus finally became trapped in a groove, and the same piece of the song played over and over. The neighbors hammered on the woman's door but there was no answer, so they forced the door open - only to find the woman dead in her chair from an overdose of barbiturates. As the months went by, a steady stream of bizarre and disturbing deaths that were alleged to be connected to Gloomy Sunday persuaded the chiefs at the BBC to ban the seemingly accursed song from the airwaves. Back in France, Rizzo Seress, the man who had composed the controversial song, was also to experience the adverse effects of his creation. He wrote to his ex-fiancée, pleading for a reconciliation. But several days later came the most awful, shocking news. Seress learned from the police that his sweetheart had poisoned herself. And by her side, a copy of the sheet music to Gloomy Sunday was found.

At the end of the 1930s, when the world was plunged into the war against Hitler, Seress' inauspicious song was quickly forgotten in the global turmoil, but the sheet-music to the dreaded song is still available (on the Net too) to those who are curious to know if the morbid melody can still exert its deadly influence...

http://www.qsl.net/w5www/gloomy.html

napost ko na din ung link ng song dun sa saddest song
http://espiya.net/forum/index.php/topic,134977.25.html

maliksing_pagong

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
Re: gloomy sunday
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 03:11:36 am »
where can one download this song, out of human curiosity.

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:56:53 am »

oldieboy

• Vincent Valentine
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 3
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 11:11:50 am »
san ko pwde marinig ang kanta?"ung orihenal na kanta po, sana may makapagbigay ng DL link"

mangkepwing

• Study as If U live Forever, Lived as if u will die tomorrow
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 1
  • Ur Friendly MangTEmi At Ur Service
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 03:57:03 pm »
para ung "my way" sa mga pinoy videoke
doN't Race In thE stReetS, BettEr yEt Race iN thE stripS!

erap

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 9
  • Ceritified Former President!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 05:22:42 am »
merong actual song sa youtube... ilang beses ko na pinakinggan ung kantang toh.. ;)
YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, BUT IF YOU DO IT RIGHT, ONCE IS ENOUGH!!!

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:35:41 am »
merong actual song sa youtube... ilang beses ko na pinakinggan ung kantang toh.. ;)
buti buhay pa po kayo  laffman::
nakakatakot pakinggan. baka mag-suicide nga talaga ako. madali pa naman ako ma-move ng music. >,<
A person becomes strong by accepting their fears.

latecomer_69

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 05:47:18 am »
Quote from: LuCiel07 link=topic=135005.msg1078848#msg1078848
madali pa naman ako ma-move ng music. >,<
[/quote

sir,pano po pag nobody nobody saka bad romance tinugtog?hekhek!rarara ah ah ramaramamah!hahaha!

back to topic: wak nyo po yan papakinggan pag down kayo lalo kayo madedepress...
Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world.

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 05:52:20 am »
madali pa naman ako ma-move ng music. >,<

sir,pano po pag nobody nobody saka bad romance tinugtog?hekhek!rarara ah ah ramaramamah!hahaha!

back to topic: wak nyo po yan papakinggan pag down kayo lalo kayo madedepress...
iba naman ang music ng dalawang yan eh. nakaka-hyper.  laffman::

narinig mo na yung music? gloomy talaga?

maliksing_pagong

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 06:34:57 am »
i am listening to this song while i am writing this... i couldn't find my cyanide, so life has to go on. :)

Breath

• Act what you can do, Dont act like stupid!
  • Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 21
  • "Remember The Name"
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 07:48:53 am »
Based sa post ni TS na isa sa part ng story na namatay sa Overdose ng Barbiturates, nabasa ko dun na paulit ulit na pinapatugtog yung kanta, so this song does absolutely nothing but to make your heart hurt and make you feel rather depressed THE FIRST TIME YOU LISTEN TO IT! (Ewan ko lang sa iba? siguro kung nataon na depressed ka tepok ka?) the reason why many are committed suicide by listening to it, is because they had, had it on repeat... the song can cause such superior depression over one's self that it can push to suicide but it will not make you commit suicide immediately after listening to it the first time.... so dont be afraid of it... just dont listen to it on repeat...  ;D

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2011, 07:59:13 am »
Based sa post ni TS na isa sa part ng story na namatay sa Overdose ng Barbiturates, nabasa ko dun na paulit ulit na pinapatugtog yung kanta, so this song does absolutely nothing but to make your heart hurt and make you feel rather depressed THE FIRST TIME YOU LISTEN TO IT! (Ewan ko lang sa iba? siguro kung nataon na depressed ka tepok ka?) the reason why many are committed suicide by listening to it, is because they had, had it on repeat... the song can cause such superior depression over one's self that it can push to suicide but it will not make you commit suicide immediately after listening to it the first time.... so dont be afraid of it... just dont listen to it on repeat...  ;D
naruhodo...
eh di hindi ko na lang talaga pakikinggan...

maliksing_pagong

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2011, 08:26:03 am »

i don't know. i repeatedly listened to the song, in fact i am still listening to it as of this writing. i just couldn't find my knife? ;) ::lmao

maliksing_pagong

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2011, 08:27:39 am »
i actually like the song, downloaded it in my iphone. listened to it over and over again. i think this song has that melody asutely fitting for its lyrics and the way the pianissimo and crescendo was deliovered, it is impeccable.

Breath

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 21
  • "Remember The Name"
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2011, 08:30:25 am »
i don't know. i repeatedly listened to the song, in fact i am still listening to it as of this writing. i just couldn't find my knife? ;) ::lmao

Siguro di ka naman kasi depress at wala kang dinadalang pasanin sa buhay? Pansin ko nga enjoy ka pa kaya ok lang yan!  ::lmao  toast::

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 08:47:31 am »
Siguro di ka naman kasi depress at wala kang dinadalang pasanin sa buhay? Pansin ko nga enjoy ka pa kaya ok lang yan!  ::lmao  toast::
may kilala akong espiyang ganyan...sana hindi niya marinig ang gloomy sunday.  laffman::

Breath

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 21
  • "Remember The Name"
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 08:52:41 am »
may kilala akong espiyang ganyan...sana hindi niya marinig ang gloomy sunday.  laffman::

Shusss  ::secret wag ka maingay ahehe  laffman::
naku sana nga, di niya marinig yung kanta, ang tanong tatalab kaya?  ::lmao

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 09:57:02 am »
Shusss  ::secret wag ka maingay ahehe  laffman::
naku sana nga, di niya marinig yung kanta, ang tanong tatalab kaya?  ::lmao
I think hindi...
kung hindi siya tablan ng Sunday...
baka itong Friday...
♪♫
It's Friday, Friday
Gotta get down on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend, weekend
Friday, Friday
Gettin' down on Friday
Everybody's lookin' forward to the weekend ♪♪

Btw, ano pala nangyari sa composer? somehow na-depress din siya ng kanyang composition or after mabalitaan ang mga nangyari sa mga taong nakinig ng gawa niya?

latecomer_69

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2011, 06:08:57 pm »

iba naman ang music ng dalawang yan eh. nakaka-hyper.  laffman::

narinig mo na yung music? gloomy talaga?

yes sir napakinggan ko na,kaso that time,hyperactive ako kaya wa epek.pero pag pinakinggan mo ng maigi yung melody,there's something na nakakadown(lalo na pag depressed ka)

OT:sino po yung tinutukoy nyong ka-espiya na di tatablan?hehehe...anyways,hintayin ko n lang na mabasa nya thread na to...baka magreply ng "nak ng!ako ba tinutukoy nyo?!"  ;D
Science can amuse and fascinate us all, but it is engineering that changes the world.

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2011, 06:11:33 pm »
yes sir napakinggan ko na,kaso that time,hyperactive ako kaya wa epek.pero pag pinakinggan mo ng maigi yung melody,there's something na nakakadown(lalo na pag depressed ka)

OT:sino po yung tinutukoy nyong ka-espiya na di tatablan?hehehe...anyways,hintayin ko n lang na mabasa nya thread na to...baka magreply ng "nak ng!ako ba tinutukoy nyo?!"  ;D
sabi nga ni Breath... ssshh  ::secret
basta hindi ko pakikinggan yan...
pwera na lang pag tinopak ako...  laffman::

boytoge

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 2
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2011, 01:23:21 am »
same here guys, napakinggan ko na yan ilang beses na.... well pati yung movie (i don't know the title or hindi siya movie) na kinanta tong "gloomy sunday" girl yung kumanta my ngpakamatay din... we'll totoo man or hindi... baka my pinipili lang na tao... hahaha

;)

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2011, 05:59:52 pm »
same here guys, napakinggan ko na yan ilang beses na.... well pati yung movie (i don't know the title or hindi siya movie) na kinanta tong "gloomy sunday" girl yung kumanta my ngpakamatay din... we'll totoo man or hindi... baka my pinipili lang na tao... hahaha

;)
hindi naman sa 'pinipili' ... nasa mentalidad na siguro ng tao ...
may hindi tinatablan. maaaring, hindi sila music oriented or hindi nila type yung music.

minervacussi

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 53
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2011, 03:20:52 pm »
ingles kaya mukhang mhirap ma appreciate ka agad...heheh
Maraming version na ang song na ito... pero nung pakinggan ko sumakit ulo ko sa version ni Diamandla Galas...

monkey d luffy

• GearThird
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
  • eslupmi d rorepme
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2011, 04:28:37 pm »
 :Dnaka survive ako after listening hehehe. . .
Pero kung depress ka at mag isa sa kwarto tapos umuulan, baka magka weird effects 8)
A man never needs a reason to wear a suit

erap

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 9
  • Ceritified Former President!
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2011, 05:17:37 pm »
"Gloomy Sunday"

Sunday is gloomy,
My hours are slumberless
Dear as the shadows
I live with are numberless
Little white flowers
Will never awaken you
Not where the black culture's
Sorrow has taken you
Angels have no thoughts
Of ever returning you
Wouldn't they be angry
If I thought of joining you?

Gloomy Sunday

Gloomy Sunday,
with shadows I spend it all
My heart and I
Have decided to end it all
Soon there'll be candles
And prayers that I say I know
But let them not weep
Let them know
That I'm glad to go
For death is no dream
And in death I'm caressing you
With the last
Breath of my soul
I'll be blessing you

Gloomy Sunday

Dreaming, I was only dreaming
I awake and I find
You asleep in the deep of my heart
Deep

Darling I hope
That my dream never haunted you
My heart is telling you
How much I wanted you
Gloomy Sunday
YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE, BUT IF YOU DO IT RIGHT, ONCE IS ENOUGH!!!