Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Are we ALONE?  (Read 12864 times)

phlamer

• We are one.
  • Gulong (Automotive and Motoring)
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 5
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Re: Are we ALONE?
« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2011, 06:55:48 am »
i am a filipino, but i couldn't deny that sometimes i get racial oppression from my field of work. i studied at Kavli Institute for Astronomy and Astrophysics, Beijing, China.
I bet you'll get into NASA or CERN. Then the Philippines will notice you and Filipino's will be very proud.  toast::
A mighty flame followeth a tiny spark.
Dante Alighieri

When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Sherlock Holmes

maliksing_pagong

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2011, 06:59:29 am »
I bet you'll get into NASA or CERN. Then the Philippines will notice you and Filipino's will be very proud.  toast::

i am not demeriting my skill but CERN is employing 90% of the world's Nobel price awardees and laureates. i am far from that league.

phlamer

• We are one.
  • Gulong (Automotive and Motoring)
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 5
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2011, 07:03:28 am »
i am not demeriting my skill but CERN is employing 90% of the world's Nobel price awardees and laureates. i am far from that league.
You're a scientist. Everything's possible right?
A mighty flame followeth a tiny spark.
Dante Alighieri

When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Sherlock Holmes

maliksing_pagong

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
« Reply #53 on: June 15, 2011, 07:14:57 am »
You're a scientist. Everything's possible right?

a career trajectory in science does not only take ingenuity but impeccable timing as well. look at albert einstein, had he not hit the right timing, it would have been max planck to be the most celebrated scientist known to mankind.

raynier

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #54 on: June 15, 2011, 02:40:09 pm »
yeah, however if there are microbial life forms in Titan, it would be a lot like our extremophiles(microorganism that thrived in the most harshest geologic condition). Titan has seas of hydrocarbon, dense atmosphere, and a liquid methane. such life forms would inhale hydrogen instead of oxygen, react it with acetylene instead of glucose, and exhale methane instead of carbon dioxide.

Yup,, but they are still considered aliens right since they live outside out atmosphere.... If there's any microbial life forms living out there, no one knows if they do have same cell structure or if they have different cell structure... after all, if microbial life forms exist there, they inhale H2 not O2....

And in the distant future, like here on Earth, evolution could take place... I hope humankind is still around when that time comes.

pspyrock

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 47
« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2011, 04:14:39 am »
Another scientist tackles the existence of extraterrestrials...

"At a June 27 press conference, Russian astronomer Andrei Finkelstein said that extraterrestrials definitely exist, and that we're likely to find them within two decades.

"The genesis of life is as inevitable as the formation of atoms," said Finkelstein, the director of the Russian Academy of Sciences' Applied Astronomy Institute in St. Petersburg. He was speaking at the opening of an international symposium on the search for extraterrestrial civilizations that was being held at the institute.

"There are fundamental laws which apply to the entire universe," Finkelstein was quoted as saying by the Interfax news agency. Because those fundamental laws allowed intelligent life to develop on Earth, they ought to engender intelligent life elsewhere, too, he reasoned.

Finkelstein pointed out that in recent years, astronomers have found more than 1,000 exoplanets —planets orbiting stars other than our own — some of which lie within their stars' "habitable zones," or the regions in which the temperature is right for water to exist as a liquid. Finkelstein said there will be life on such planets if there is water.

Furthermore, he conjectures that the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI), a worldwide effort to detect radio and optical signals sent our way by extraterrestrials, will find examples of that life within two decades. (Some media sources have interpreted Finkelstein's words to mean that we will communicate back and forth with aliens within that time. Actually, he only said that we will detect their signals.)  [10 Alien Encounters Debunked]

For Finkelstein's striking prediction to come true, certain conditions must be met: There must be a planet with an alien civilization that is capable of transmitting high-power radio or optical signals our way. That civilization needs to exist within 20 light-years of Earth and have been broadcasting those signals starting today, or earlier, in order to reach Earth within 20 light-years of today. (Or, if the civilization is farther away, then it needs to have broadcast long enough ago that it could reach here within 20 years.)

Though detecting life elsewhere in the cosmos sounds difficult, as it turns out, several astronomers believe that Finkelstein's 20-year prediction is realistic. In fact, they have an equation that takes into account all the conditions that must be met in order to find life on other planets, and according to the equation, 20 years is a pretty good estimate for when we'll find it.

Seth Shostak, the senior astronomer at the SETI Institute in Mountain View, Calif., the most well-known SETI program, estimated that intelligent life would be found in 25 years in a paper he wrote five years ago. "Maybe Finkelstein read my paper," Shostak told Life's Little Mysteries, a sister site to SPACE. He agrees that we'll detect alien signals within two decades. [Earth's 10 Wildest Attempts to Contact Aliens]"

Read whole article at...
http://news.yahoo.com/really-alien-life-within-20-years-122004390.html

KaMushroom

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 24
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2011, 04:26:37 am »
russians din nagsabi na magkakaroon ng time travel within 3 months nuon ah? :/

anyway it would be selfish kung sasabihin nating tayo lang diba?

pspyrock

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 47
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2011, 04:44:03 am »
russians din nagsabi na magkakaroon ng time travel within 3 months nuon ah? :/

anyway it would be selfish kung sasabihin nating tayo lang diba?

OT(indulgence po sa MODs)
Eto yata yung theory nila sa time travel...
*Pero since hindi naman na-meet yung expected output ng LHC ay hindi talaga mapapatunayan yung theory nila na time travel.

After launching the collider, people were scared of the giant black hole capable of swallowing the Earth. Yet, scientists quickly calmed the population saying that in case of a collision of particles in the collider, the holes that may appear would be microscopic, or so large that they can be used as a handy tool for time travel.

This sensational proposal was made by two doctors of physical and mathematical sciences, Professors of Institute of Mathematics named after Steklov, Irina Arefyeva and Igor Volovich.

“Modern principles of theoretical mathematical physics allow the possibility of time travel,” explains Volovich, a member of RAS. “One of the admissible models of working time machine is the so-called wormhole, that is, a space-time tunnel leading to another time or space. And the probability of formation of a wormhole in the LHC is comparable to the probability of occurrence of the black hole itself, which can occur when particles collide with high energy.

As explained by the physics, wormhole is a tunnel connecting different parts of space and time. Entrance to the tunnel may be the size of a star, a planet, a house and even a speck of dust, depending on a purpose of the tunnel use. After all, there is a difference between sending a photon or a group of tourists. You can get to another galaxy, or another universe. And you can also get into in the past. In terms of the physical properties, the entrance to the wormhole is very similar to the entrance to the black hole. The difference is that you can come back.

Since the LHC is designed, figuratively speaking, to create a part of space on Earth, then it can be used to obtain dark energy. This is also an important detail of creating the miracle machine. Another necessary condition for making the machine work is to distort space and time so it closes up in a ring. And the LHC is quite capable of that.

“This phenomenon in physics is called “closed time-like curve,” explains Professor Arefyeva. “It allows, at least theoretically, returning to the past.”

“Is it possible to have a paradox described by Bradbury, when a traveler caught in the past accidentally steps on a butterfly, which results in coming to power of a different president in his time? “

“We expected such issues,” says professor Volovich. “We came to this conclusion: time travel may change the course of history, but not very significantly.”

To make time machine the reality, the scientists stress the need for the LHC to reach at least the design capacity (now it is working at half capacity) and stop breaking down.

“So far, our biggest home is that the LHC will demonstrate the existence of wormhole. If some of the collision energy in the collider disappears, this can be explained by the creation of particles that pierce time through wormholes.”

http://english.pravda.ru/science/tech/06-08-2010/114515-time_machine-0/

edgar

• Pioneer
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2011, 06:55:39 am »

dugo ang ilong ko. bow..

Therefore i conclude that maliksing_pagong is an Alien... :applause

rigunlikeerex

• rigunlikeerex
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
    • Alternative Medicine Crohns Disease
How People Use Drugs
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2011, 09:52:58 am »
How People Misuse Sleeping Pills  cheap valium online  What most people don?t realize is that Diazepam (Valium) has been one of the most prescribed medications over the last four decades and that has no sign of slowing down. http://www.kineteksystems.com/ - discount valium

rigunlikeerex

• rigunlikeerex
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Job Positions In Drug Rehabilitation
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2011, 10:07:16 am »
Job Outlook Preventive Medicine  cheap valium online  No hidden fees! http://www.kineteksystems.com/ - buy valium without prescription

rigunlikeerex

• rigunlikeerex
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Tylan Medication For Honeybees
« Reply #61 on: July 26, 2011, 11:22:44 am »
Tylan Medication For Dogs  buy cheap valium  If you think you need Valium or any of the other brands of Diazepam then you should consult your doctor because this medication does have some side effects. http://www.kineteksystems.com/ - cheap valium no prescription

maliksing_pagong

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
« Reply #62 on: August 02, 2011, 01:11:57 am »
might i comment in relation to pspyrock's post...

on LHC's blackholes: yes, he is correct. CERN's LHC is trying to mimic fraction of a second after Big Bang by colliding hadrons at 14TeraElectron Volt. similarly such collisions would theoretically create mini-blackholes. however, these blackholes are very microscopic that they will not pose a threat to the human race. they could not even stand a second. they dissipate after 0.00000000000000000000000001 seconds.

in my point of view, we should be concerned about the solar radiation first that goes into the earth's atmosphere because they are by far a hundred times more potent and energetic than these laboratory blackholes. so, in summary, Large Hadron Collider is not a doomsday device.

on time travel topic: time travellers are already around us. take GPS for example, ground engineers have to consistently recalibrate the clcock system of the GPS to synchronize with our atomic clock. or else, our traffic system and GPS maps would go haywire. another example is the black hole. you'd end up way younger than your twin if you would circumnavigate around black hole's event horizon. let's not go far. if you travel by plane more frequently than average, it will also slow your ageing a bit. one will have to study about space-time continuum to understand the concept of the fabric of time being an essential cosmic dimension. to be continued... :)

maliksing_pagong

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
« Reply #63 on: August 02, 2011, 01:15:58 am »
the time travel i discussed above only states about time travelling forward. i'm sure you've noticed it too. our current law of physics(and its compelling scientific understanding) only suffice to conclude that time is a dimension that can be traveled forward, not backward. at least that was how we initially thought it to be. according to science luminaries like Albert Einstein and Stephen Hawking, my rockstars in the field of science, the universe is exponentially expanding and not rotating. even if one can bend the fabric of time and space by harnessing a "wormhole", it only brings us forward. not only does wormhole currently theoretical, but it will also open a canister of worms due to its issues of instability, radiation exposure, and Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle.

Einstein's theory was constantly debated though. he postulated that light is the universal speed limit, that the mass will increase as the object will reach near speed of light. but with the presence of tachyons and torsion waves, it now comes for questioning. Einstein's neighbor at Princeton Unversity, Kurt Goedel, one of the greatest mathematical logicians the world has ever known, found a groundbreaking idea that may have pave the way for time travel. the river of time now has whirlpools in which time could wrap itself into a circle. he said that the universe is filled with rotating fluid, and anyone walking around the direction of the rotation would find himself back at the starting point, but ultimately backwards in time. his theory is indeed more than what a time dilation can offer.

maliksing_pagong

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 6
« Reply #64 on: August 02, 2011, 01:20:08 am »
while Kurt Godel's theory is compelling, my take on the matter is a bit different. i am more on the astrophysics than observational astronomy or general comsology. with the advent of the M-Theory, i am thinking that time is not only a single-threaded dimension, instead, it has many intersections, much like intersecting paraboles which would have a propensity of forming a circular path when travelled appropriately.