Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Propaganda  (Read 3958 times)

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
Propaganda
« on: March 18, 2011, 12:37:18 am »
Here we discuss about propaganda.

Ano nga ba ito? For me, it is any public communication that has the secret purpose of eliciting a predicted response of the receiver. For example, the sender sends out a message, expecting a certain response from the receiver (emotion, action, thought).

This is a very important tool for the spy. The spy (or diplomat, or statesman, or rebel) have these pressing questions when faced with propaganda:

1. How do we know if propaganda is being used?

2. Does this propaganda work against me or for me?

3. What does this propaganda tell me about its sender/creator?

4. What is my best response, knowing that it is propaganda?

Ultimately, even if you just learn how to detect when propaganda is being used, your mind is already guarded, and your critical thinking kicks in.

Give me your views on this aspect of communication. :) If you would like to know about where I get my ideas, just read up on the Dune series by Frank Herbert and the more boring accounts of the past Cold War.

exxit

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 4
Re: Propaganda
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2011, 10:34:20 am »
anu sa palagay ninyo ang kwento ng 2012 end of the world?  example din kaya ito ng propaganda?

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2011, 02:33:53 pm »
Sa palagay ko, lahat ng public communication ay propaganda. Gusto ko sanang pagusapan natin ang propaganda dito in general.

Tignan natin halimbawa ang mga successful at magagandang commercial sa TV. Note that ang emphasis ng mga ito ay madalang sa produkto, kung hindi sa mga emosyon na kanilang ipinapangako na mapapasaatin kung gagamit tayo ng product nila. Gumagamit sila ng mga situation, mood at minsan ang commercial model mismo. Mas halata ang propaganda kapag panahon ng election.

Cases in point: Axe (attention and admiration of the opposite sex, namely women), various SUVs (security ang pagmamarket nito sa US, dito sa Pilipinas, prestige, status at power), anything featuring Robin Padilla (machismo). Take note, iba ang pagtingin sa pagkalalake ni Robin Padilla at ni Derek Ramsey. Mas maton ang dating ni Binoy, habang si Derek ay macho rin pero mas nakatuon sa pagiging athlete at healthy (ang concept ng pagiging "healthy" ay nabago mula sa pagiging malusog lang papunta sa pagkakaroon ng magandang katawan, namely six-pack abs at firm pecs). Chocolate, halimbawa. Kapag may babae sa commercial, madalas ay makakarinig tayo ng salitang TEMPTATION, lalo na kung dark chocolate. Kung may bata sa commercial, FUN.

Iiwan ko kayo ng homework para italakay: mga seasoning mix.

yamatoyukihiro

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 02:59:30 pm »
For me it is a means of starting a social movement. It makes use of many different forms of media and could be treated as a subtle approach to change compared to the use of force. I'm not well versed when it comes to the Cold War era but I think that period was an exciting battle of wits.

yamatoyukihiro

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2011, 03:42:14 pm »
aba may assignment na pala? hehe hmm... seasoning mix? para simulan ang sagot ko kailangan ko muna tandaan yung mga commercial at tanungin ang sarili ko ano nga ba ang laman ng mga ganung commercial. Una kong naiisip is yung namnam ng kanto boys. Next anjan yung commercial ng Maggi (tama ba spelling) Magic Sarap ni Aiai at Santino. Last na naaalala ko right now would be yung cooking face off gamit yung gisado vs ginisa ata yun wherein yung isang product instant mix na and titingnan nila kung mas masarap yun kumpara sa traditional na cooking. Based on these 3 commercials (and others that I vaguely remember) the concepts I noticed are:

1) Being a more competent cook - By using these products you will be able to cook more sumptuous meals thus giving the woman a greater sense of confidence as a cook. The commercials convey that the appreciation of family and friends can be gained through good cooking.

2) Keeping the family together - These sort of commercials would usually show the members of the family happily eating together and complimenting the delicious meal. This is an affirmation of the importance of the togetherness of a family and the product then serves to help her achieve this as well.

3) Satisfying the ego - Aside from showing a pleased family these commercials also feature the superiority of one woman over another or the delighted faces of their children's friends who also found the food to be delicious. To me these images subliminally empower women, increasing their self-worth as the products seem to promise the respect of people outside the family for her cooking, and potential superiority.

As a final note, although commercials may contain various forms of propaganda, its success is still dependent on how well the commercial was able to come through to their target audience.

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 04:11:49 am »
Well said.

As a final note, although commercials may contain various forms of propaganda, its success is still dependent on how well the commercial was able to come through to their target audience.

And this is the reason for propaganda. May marketing graduates ba dito?

yamatoyukihiro

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 0
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 04:24:14 am »
Not me, market-goer lang ako. haha

exxit

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 4
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 08:55:26 am »
information that is spread for the purpose of promoting some cause
wordnetweb.princeton.edu/perl/webwn

... may goal ang gumagawa ng propaganda para mas lalo mong bibigyan ng importansya ang isang bagay o kaya mabago ang paniniwala mo sa isang bagay o idea.

isang paraan lang ito para magawa iyon. ang ibang mga paraan :

1. kailangan mong maanib sa grupo nila... kung membro ka na ng grupo, mas naniniwala ka sa ipinaglalaban ng grupo.
2. pwersahang pagbabago -- tatakutin ka siguro para magawa mo ang mga bagay ( doomsday 2012 -- matatakot mga tao -- anu maaring mangyari kung lahat ng mga tao praning na?  tanong ko lang din.. anu ang purpose ng mga nagpapalabas ng 2012 scenario?  new world order?
3. pagbabago sa personal na paniniwala para ma satisfy ang sa loobin mo.

ayan may assignment ka na?! sana nakatulong :)