Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Mitsubishi Box Type Lancer  (Read 1500 times)

ServantGeneral (SG)

• GoldMember - GS1
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 53
  • Don't stop till you succeed!
  • Special Skills: testskills
Mitsubishi Box Type Lancer
« on: May 07, 2006, 12:58:24 pm »
The Box Type Lancer by Mitsubishi was one of the most popular releases in the 80s.

I liked the boxy look, and till this day there are Box Type Lancers that you'll see very well maintained ("kinis"), restored and even modified (so-called "sporty look")

I bought mine (1981 Box Type Lancer EL)  in year 2000 from a Saudi-bound guy in Cavite. It already had spoilers, front mud guard and sideskirts. I was attracted by its looks, plus it has the metallic paint (you know, with those glitter-like material in the paint)

My first car was a 1970-something Mitsubishi Lancer (those with round headlights), and it's Saturn engine was awesome. Kinakarera ko sa North Expressway. So I know that a Lancer, even if an old one, can compete with the 90s and above sedans when it comes to speed.

This Box Type served me well, for good and bad. It actually made me look younger, because it had all the "sporty" stuff (wooden steering wheels, alloy mags, and all those racing stickers.. etc)

Now I'm using a 2005 Honda Civic, but I miss the smell, sound and touch of an old car like my box type. I miss the straight lines, the engine roar, and its thumpin sound. Plus I miss the manual transmission ("kambyo")

What I enjoyed most in having this car is buying the interior replacement parts, like door handles, etc. I'm surprised to find them still in the market, and there's no greater joy than your old car having new original parts.

When I go back to the Philippines, I'm gonna have my box type seen by a mechanic and revived. It's now sitting in the backyard, with nobody to drive it.

When I retire, I wanna be driving it again -- a "cool" chickboy Lolo in a sporty Box Type Lancer.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 01:03:57 pm by SD »
I love Espiya.net. My grandma loves it too!

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
Re: Mitsubishi Box Type Lancer
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 01:48:09 pm »
wow, nice car sd, n gud thing u didn't sell it. a car like that is hard to find nowadays, unless u want to buy one for just 5thousand pesos...karagkarag pa un...gud ones i think sells for a hundred or more pa, even two..

i think ung lacer celeste ata ung first car mo? not sure...

mukang pareho tayo ng gusto na kotche ah, old n boxy cars. come to think of it, mas maangas tingnan ang mga box type na kotche, compared to today's more curvy and sexy sculpted cars.  kahet ngaun, more manufacturers are goin back in time to design their cars with more sharp edges.

n i do think na iba talaga ang hataw ng lacer, esp the 80's model....though im not sure kng sirius or saturn dn ang engine nyan...

iv rode once with my friend who owned a 1980-ish lancer gt, n damn it was so fast, lalo na for a jap car, n eightees car pa....

sige sd, pag bumalik ka dito pinas, ako sponsor ng pagrestore ng kotche mo....;)

visca el barca!

ninetales

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma -4
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2006, 07:35:57 am »
ok parin ang looks nang boxtype mo bossing sd...palitan mo na lng yung mugs nanga 15' mug wheels@ ang gulong gawing mong 50 or 55 series...para maging sporty yung dating...im sure ma kaka attrack yan nang maraming bebot...

heymyke

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2006, 12:57:02 pm »
Nice car SD, I had my eye on one of those when I was planning on buying a car in the philippines.  Those boxy looks does not go out of style, especially if the mods are done cleanly.  Unfornately for the majority of those cars, time does take its toll. 
Another old model that I would want to get is the Celica GT, I think its 115 hp out of the box.  Suspension is not that bad probably, as good as it can get in the 70s era maybe.  Drop some new toyota engine, maybe one from the new celica.  Then that car car would surprise some honda boys.

Oh yeah, I heard in Bacolod that a guy put a 4G63 in one of those box-type.  Well now, he's looking for a new tranny.

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2006, 03:14:48 pm »
myke, nice to here from u again....

yah, even here in manila, some dude put a 4g63 engine to alncer gt's too....

yabang pa pambitaw, unfortunately, the body's too heavy...hahaha

r ya lukin for a lancer na boxtype? think my friend's sellin 1, think its an 80-ish gt....

visca el barca!

heymyke

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2006, 04:22:43 pm »
Yeah one thing about putting more powerful engines in a car than it was intended for, there will some unintended side effects. 

Not looking to buy a car right now, money is tight :-[