Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Diet soda can give you 'meth mouth' (killjoy study claims :P)  (Read 1594 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.

A new study claims that diet soda can damage a person’s teeth as much as meth, but it’s really kind of a stretch.

The study by Dr. Mohamed Bassiouny, a professor of restorative dentistry at the Temple University School of Dentistry, compared the mouth damage of three subjects: A heavy diet soda drinker, a methamphetamine user, and a crack user.

“You look at it side-to-side with ‘meth mouth’ or ‘coke mouth,’ it is startling to see the intensity and extent of damage more or less the same,” Bassiouny said of the diet-soda-drinker’s mouth to U.S. News and World Report. All three test subjects’ teeth were so damaged they had to be removed and replaced with dentures.

The diet soda drinker said she started drinking diet soda because she was worried about gaining weight, and she also thought diet soda was better for her teeth than sugared sodas. But diet soda is about as bad for teeth as regular soda. According to Bassiouny, diet and regular sodas are highly acidic, and without good oral hygiene, constant exposure can leave a person with a seriously damaged smile.

But that “without good oral hygiene” part is key. The soda-drinker in Bassiouny’s study was a woman in her 30s who drank two liters of soda every day and had not seen a dentist in 20 years. The meth user was 29 and also drank two or three cans of soda a day. The third subject was a 51-year-old man who had been using crack for 18 years. All three had similar levels of tooth damage, but it certainly doesn’t seem like that’s likely to repeat itself in every person with a Diet Coke habit.

“To single out diet soda consumption as the unique factor in her tooth decay and erosion — and to compare it to that from illicit drug use — is irresponsible,” said the American Beverage Association, a trade group that represents the soft drink industry, and they have a point.

Dr. Eugene Antenucci, a spokesperson for the Academy of General Dentistry, seemed to think the comparison between soda mouth and “meth mouth” was overstated, but that soda is not great for teeth.

“From my experience, the damage that happens to people’s mouths from cocaine or methamphetamine are degrees greater than what I see from soda,” he said. “But I see a lot of damage from soda.”

Antenucci suggested people prevent ugly tooth damage by rinsing their mouths with water after drinking soda. Most people probably aren’t going to bother doing that, but not drinking two liters of soda every day and going to the dentist every once in a while is probably a pretty good start.

BaTistAbomB

• unleash the BEAST
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 176
  • I'M ON VACATION ;)
Re: Diet soda can give you 'meth mouth' (killjoy study claims :P)
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 11:31:30 am »
 toast:: 2 liters...of coffee, ;) thanks for sharing this 8)

*Colt-CIS /.45, M16 Baby, Glock 18C..GunBan Exempted Security*

tiberionx

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 29
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 06:10:02 pm »
dami talagang galit sa coke  laffman::

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 11:41:25 pm »
A lot of people get the wrong idea when the word "Diet" is attached to a beverage or a food item; more often than not, they think they can get away with consuming more of it without any harm to themselves.
Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 11:51:07 pm »
Solution: TAKE METH INSTEAD

since both methods damages teeth and meth causes way faster weight loss  ;D

zensuke101

• The Laughing Man
  • Webmasters/Programmer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 80
  • "The Catcher in the Rye"
    • Public Security Section 9
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 08:41:37 am »
healthy cleansing diet na lang ang kailangan mga fellow spies smoking::