Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: TEDTalks:Why Dieting DOESN'T work  (Read 1490 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
TEDTalks:Why Dieting DOESN'T work
« on: January 08, 2014, 09:03:55 pm »
How diets affect your brain -- and why this healthy alternative may be more effective-  from Neuroscientist Sandra Aamodt 💐

"Diets may seem harmless, but they actually do a lot of collateral damage. Even at its best, dieting is a waste of time and energy."

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn0Ygp7pMbA&sns=em[/youtube]

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
Re: TEDTalks:Why Dieting DOESN'T work
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 11:27:53 pm »
I guess this doctor must be funded by the food industry  ::laffman hehe kidding.

She is working on the notion of DIET-ing being "calorie and food restriction". Agreed that this behavior does develop eating disorders.

Dieting for those who know what they are doing is a lifestyle. Like how people choose not to eat the way modern society conditions their mind to. Studies say that type 2 diabetes is going to be an epidemic in the near future if people keep on eating like what they do today.

If your diet suggest you skip meals, or eat less than 1000 calories a day. Then that is doomed to fail.

A good diet is knowing what to eat, and NOTfocusing too much on how much you eat. Try eating oatmeals and/or bread in the morning, at around 10 or 11am you will probably feel hungry and might consider a brunch. Lets say you eat eggs and bacon with butter (not margarine please) and say at the same calories of what you supposedly eat oatmeals and bread. I guarantee you wouldn't be as much hungrier and would last until lunch.
The reason being is carbs promote hormone "ghrelin" production which acts as a timer to remind you that you have to eat even though you don't need to.

There are several schools of thought regarding food and nutrition. But saying Dieting in general is bad? I guess the doctor needs to define what Dieting is first.

in2yourjeans

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 11:33:58 pm »
^^^exactly sir

very very interesting video.

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2014, 02:26:47 am »
Try eating oatmeals and/or bread in the morning, at around 10 or 11am you will probably feel hungry and might consider a brunch. Lets say you eat eggs and bacon with butter (not margarine please) and say at the same calories of what you supposedly eat oatmeals and bread. I guarantee you wouldn't be as much hungrier and would last until lunch.
The reason being is carbs promote hormone "ghrelin" production which acts as a timer to remind you that you have to eat even though you don't need to.

I would have to disagree with this point, Seigneur Andrew Sturm. I've eaten both "carbohydrate-rich/carbohydrate-only" and "protein-rich/protein-only" breakfasts and in neither case did I feel hungry again until lunch time. The only explanation I've come up with for this is that my mind has some kind of cutoff switch that turns off my appetite once it knows I've eaten something within my accustomed time frame for each meal of the day. As you said, dieting is a lifestyle and the mind plays a key role in how it's done.
Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2014, 03:48:04 am »
I completely agree sir. Dieting is indeed a lifestyle and the mind plays a key role in it.

Although our bodies are not completely the same, but we can't deny the fact that the food we eat has a direct effect on the body. That is my main qualm with the video. The doctor relates the term "Diet" as a form of restriction and encourages to eat whatever you want to eat. Her whole talk on "Diet" focuses on losing or gaining weight rather than the subject of "Diet" as having a healthier lifestyle.

I dont think I can eat bagels, crappy food, etc. , work out furiously, and look like uh.. lets say.. a Marc Nelson? I don't think my mind alone can directly control my hormones to make me look ripped and buff. I might get bigger yeah, but not lean.