Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Mother's Day turns 100:Its suprisingly dark history  (Read 10535 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Mother's Day turns 100:Its suprisingly dark history
« on: May 10, 2014, 03:33:22 pm »

Mothers Day was invented by Anna Jarvis after her mother passed away in 1905. Woodrow Wilson officially designated the holiday as the second Sunday in May in 1914, so this year marks 100 years of Mothers Days. But to Jarvis, it was Mother’s Day -with an apostrophe- meaning a day for each person to honor their own mother; a private family occasion.

Anna Jarvis's idea of an intimate Mother's Day quickly became a commercial gold mine centering on the buying and giving of flowers, candies, and greeting cards—a development that deeply disturbed Jarvis. She set about dedicating herself and her sizable inheritance to returning Mother's Day to its reverent roots.

Jarvis incorporated herself as the Mother's Day International Association and tried to retain some control of the holiday. She organized boycotts, threatened lawsuits, and even attacked First Lady Eleanor Roosevelt for using Mother's Day to raise funds for charities.

read more...NatGeo news

A big (cosmic) shout out to my NANAY ❤️ & Happy Mother's Day to all supermoms !!  ::flowers

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
  • Special Skills: kalabit penge gang , taga jumper ng kuryente , sipsip gas at mang-buriki ng bigas
Re: Mother's Day turns 100:Its suprisingly dark history
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 06:59:35 pm »
this is so informative!  toast:: Thanks for this Share FD

Happy Mothers day sa inyong mga nag gagandang Nanay at Kapatid na may anak at asawa na , Happy Mothers Day din sa inyong nag gagandahang asawa at Happy Mothers Day din sa mga ka-espiya nating Nanay na  ::flowers ::flowers ::flowers

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 09:14:12 pm »
akala ko Mother's Day ... Mothers Day pala ang term na gamit ngayon.
A person becomes strong by accepting their fears.

simpleman1225

• I Am A Living Legacy To The Leader Of The Band
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 149
  • Share information so that others can benefit.
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2014, 11:23:17 pm »
World's Toughest Job

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HB3xM93rXbY[/youtube]

Happy Mother's Day to all Moms...
"You know my name, not my story. You've heard what I've done, not what I've been through."

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Happy Mothers day!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 12:27:36 pm »

E.Republic, Keep calm and hug your mom!  ::flowers