Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Help sa Case Study =)  (Read 1050 times)

mj69

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Help sa Case Study =)
« on: February 20, 2010, 02:37:44 am »
Mga ka espiya help naman about my case study. Need all inputs i can get.

Here's my case study:
A 37-year-old with a history of hepatitis C presents to the emergency center with complaints of abdominal swelling, fatigue, easy bruising, yellow eyes, and pruritis. On examination, the patient has abdominal ascites, spider angiomas and numerous bruises on the skin, icteric sclera, and peripheral edema. Laboratory tests reveal slightly elevated liver function tests, prolonged clotting, hypoalbuminemia, hyperbilirubinemia, elevated ammonia, and hypokalemia. He is diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver and admitted to the hospital for further workup.

Questions:
a.   What is the normal effect of decreased plasma volume on sodium balance?
b.   Why does this patient have significant edema and continued sodium reabsorption?
c.   In what part of the glomerulus-tubule complex of the kidney is the majority of sodium reabsorbed?

Thanks Guys!  psrulez::

rydhel1016

• Be Without Fear in the Face of Your Enemies. Be Brave and Upright that God May Love Thee. Speak the Truth Even if it leads to Your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong. That is our oath.
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 2
    • Sexy Friendster Girls
Re: Help sa Case Study =)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 03:14:49 am »
Review mo Osmosis and Active Transport mo. (under Fluids and Electrolytes).

ahrcriezt

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 03:23:20 am »

jehnjhiz

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
  • everybody lies...
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 04:53:10 am »
case study? i really miss doing a case study. well, anyway.. review your fluids and electrolytes, might as well read normal physiology in hemodynamics

since you need some inputs, hindi ko na masyado tanda yun details but i'll try to give some

a. a decreased in vascular volume may trigger your body to increase renal sodium retention as compensatory mechanism,therefore affecting the balance
b. hypoalbuminemia (secondary to liver disease)probably caused the edema wherein decreased concentration of plasma proteins lowers the blood colloid osmotic pressure (it pulls the fluid from interstitial spaces into capillaries) and i think the sodium reabsorption is part of the body's compensatory mechanism
c. proximal convoluted tubules

un lang, goodluck!

neckromancer

• Senator Sayote
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • Dungeon Master
    • Ang Aking Munting Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2010, 02:43:17 am »
Kung enlarged din ang liver nito don't discount the effect of a blocked hepatic portal system and renal failure. Rarely does the body's problems stem with just one organ.