Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Socializing in pubs 'boosts men's' mental health  (Read 9344 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Socializing in pubs 'boosts men's' mental health
« on: January 17, 2014, 01:19:13 pm »

So now, Men are going to the bar to talk about FEELINGS?  Yay!

A new study done in Scotland found that men like to go the bar for more personal reasons. According to researchers men between the ages of  30  and 50 who regularly socialized at bars experienced positive boosts to their mental health. Not only did buying each other pints help middle-aged maintain their friendships, but researchers found that it also gave them a safe space to “open up and talk about their emotions.” Awwww hmmm.

“The most surprising thing was the way drinking opened up a space for men to behave in alternative ways that aren’t so associated with masculinity.There was the idea if you’ve had a few drinks it really helps you to express emotion in a way you might not in your everyday life,” explained Dr. Carol Emslie, the author of the study.

â€œThere is a stereotype that men are strong and silent about their mental health and it is something they never talk about. This wasn’t what we found. It was very much the idea that alcohol or drinking in these communal groups had this positive effect on your mental health.You’re drinking together, you’re laughing and joking and it’s uplifting. It helps you to open up and relax. Also. men talked about it being a way of looking out for each other.”

As long as men are opening up about their emotions somewhere- that's sweet  :D

bAnaNa nUt cRunCh

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 39
  • Positivity
Re: Socializing in pubs 'boosts men's' mental health
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 04:20:49 am »
I wonder if this can applied dito sa Pinas Ate FD. Most of us men here are not very comfortable listening to other emotional issues from other men. Yes, we joke about it to vent it out a little, but in a drinking session where the conversation can get serious............I doubt. :| But that's just my opinion though, Ate.
Wala akong sig. Eto nalang >> 2007 | Bravehearts

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 05:21:11 am »
I wonder if this can applied dito sa Pinas Ate FD. Most of us men here are not very comfortable listening to other emotional issues from other men. Yes, we joke about it to vent it out a little, but in a drinking session where the conversation can get serious............I doubt. :| But that's just my opinion though, Ate.

thank you sa feedback bnc :) you're right and it's a global issue na din or shall we say a story of *evolution when we talk about men being emotionally open,let alone sharing your woes to your guy pals. ihh

Imagine from the old cave days that men will just fire-gazing rather than to talk about their day...where the only definite emotions men have is being hungry or horny-period.  :)

Well now, allelu for this news/study ,giving a glimpse of hope or even a *shift of energy- that expressing emotion isn't a sign of weakness; that honoring your feelings & needs is important to every human whether you're a man or a woman.

And i believe guys value loyalty so much that it's not impossible for them to talk or share something to one or two loyal friends they have over the bar ;)

So calling out male spies of E.Republic, let it begin- try to start to be a good listener to those you considered friend/s (the more you help others the more you help yourself)

cave men OUT. evolved men IN.

CHILO20

• Abysmal Chef
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 4
  • You are the reason why i fight and live on.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 01:23:08 am »
agreed toast::
 ::laffman