Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Advice for a shih tzu puppy  (Read 2370 times)

barcelona

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Advice for a shih tzu puppy
« on: April 13, 2015, 01:43:33 am »
A friend  left me a 2 month shih tzu  for a 3 month work in HK. Problem is, I'm not familiar with this breed. Checked the vaccination record and was only given 1 deworm shot. Na copy ko yung schedule of vaccination and will follow it as a guide. Question now is can someone point me to a good and budget friendly vet preferably in Cartimar? Yun lang kasi ang convenient place dahil i pass by the place on my way to work. Salamat po at sana someone can give tips on feeding and bathing tips.

TobleRONe

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 123
Re: Advice for a shih tzu puppy
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 05:15:41 am »
i'm a first time shih tzu owner din. pero ako na mismo ang nagbabakuna sa aso ko. kung familiar ka naman sa kung paano ang pagbakuna sa aso, ikaw na mismo para makatipid ka. mas mura kasi yung bibili ka ng vaccine, kesa pupunta ka sa vet para magpavaccine.

as for food, beef pro puppy lang pinakain ko noon tapos na nakababad sa warm milk para lumambot yung dog food. Cow head or minsan para mas mura, milk magic gamit ko.

tigerwing

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 54
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2015, 07:42:37 am »
If you want the best for your dog then go to a reputable veterinarian. Talk to him/her about your concerns and you will get all the "tips" you are looking for.. 350 pesos lng naman ang consultation.

Also, unless you have a good grasp of immunology and how exactly vaccines work, let the vets do it. Contrary to what others may think. You do not simply stick your dog with a dose of "5in1".   Proper protocols and precautions are observe inorder to achieve effective vaccination and immunity.  You might be doing more harm to your dog than good if you do it yourself. Vaccination is also the least expensive veterinary service at 350-500 pesos each shot. If you find that too expensive and your unwilling to spend that much for your pet, then i would suggest that you reasses wether or not you should really have a pet. Dogs just like humans do get sick in one way or another, even if you take extra good care of them. And when they do, It wont be cheap. Hindi naman sa tinatakot kita but you better make sure you are capable of providing whatever that dog needs.

TobleRONe

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 123
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2015, 08:25:28 am »
take note, "reputable vet" at hindi mga stores sa cartimar. most stores doon walang vet. what they'll do is inject the dog with the required vaccines and charge you for vaccine + injection fee na kasing presyo din ng vet.

kung wala ka rin experience with injections and how to properly administer it sa dog baka nga mahirapan ka at baka masaktan ang aso.

actually yung vet na rin nagsabi sa akin na mas mura ang bumili ka ng vaccine at ako na mag-inject sa aso. just bring the dog in kung merong sakit  ;D

Might as well go to the vet. Titingnan nga pala health ng aso before giving vaccines. Hindi bibigyan ng shot ang aso kung meron sakit.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 08:43:06 am by TobleRONe »

naruto789544

• Anime Fans
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 103
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2015, 11:55:47 am »
agree with sir toblerone... better be safe than sorry... if you prick the dog at the wrong place, infections may occur... better be safe than sorry... medyo sensitive pa naman ang breed na yan... may brother owns 3 and i can see how expensive it is to take care of them... but it is a rewarding one...

TobleRONe

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 123
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2015, 08:07:28 pm »
look for a vet na malapit sa inyo, wag sa cartimar. para kung may sakit yung dog madali mo madadala sa vet.

unless malapit ka sa cartimar nakatira.

make sure na vet talaga, dito sa amin madaming vet-vetan  laffman::

rodeo

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 21
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2015, 07:04:02 am »
kung bakuna better na  vet sila magpasaksak kasi yun cold chain na neede ng bakuna ay importante . kung nakakabili kayo ng bakuna at hindi kayo vet malamang ilang pasahan na ang nagyari sa bakuna at ang may possibility na ito na nainitan at nadegrade.

TobleRONe

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 123
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2015, 07:15:34 am »
isa pa pala iyon, kung bibili ka ng bakuna at ikaw ang magsasaksak dont forget to bring ice chest/cooler or kahit na yung maliit na water jug and lagyan mo ng ice sa loob. hindi pwedeng maninitan yung bakuna. umuwi ka kaagad at ilagay sa chiller ng ref.

maghanap ka na nga lang ng vet na malapit sa inyo.

barcelona

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 11:45:39 am »
Maraming salamat sa lahat po na  nag advice. In fact, along the stretch of pet shops in cartimar, I was surprised isa lang ang napansin kong vet clinic. The pup was given a thorough check before the deworming  dose which cost only P160. Consultation was just P350 and bought vitamin supplement thereafter. It was really rewarding pag nakita mo na masaya ang alaga mo. Again thanks to everyone!!

naruto789544

• Anime Fans
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 103
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2015, 11:29:24 am »
goodluck with your dog sir... i always have a soft spot for toy dogs...