Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Philippines as the call center capital of the world  (Read 7821 times)

Rockford

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 232
  • WORK Hard,PARTY Harder!
Philippines as the call center capital of the world
« on: July 30, 2007, 03:30:25 am »
Philippines as the call center capital of the world

Philippine challenge to Indian call centers:
Rob O'Malley, chief consulting officer of Asian Call Centers, says that anyone who thinks that India has won the battle to be the call center capital of the world is missing keen competition from a number of countries, especially The Philippines. In fact, there are many reasons why The Philippines is a far better place for an English-speaking call center than India.

The advantages:
Culturally, The Philippines has more in common with the West than India does and the Filipino accent is far easier to understand for Westerners. Visit Manila and it seems just like an American city without money. The Philippines has the best spoken English of anywhere in Asia, basketball is the national sport and Manila has the look and feel of a run-down American city.

http://www.call-centres.com/articles/philippines.htm

**so what do you think of The Philippines as the Call Center capital of the world?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2007, 04:13:58 am by Rockford »

123kid123

• Suspended
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma -13
Re: Philippines as the call center capital of the world
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 03:38:03 am »
Political instability. EDSAs are still yesterday in investors' eyes.

All Roads Lead to Espiya's Resident Genius, 123kid123.

Mods, mods! Help! I just got owned! - multimillion dollar man

I do have followers. They post everywhere I post. Do you?

onin

• onin ang itawag mo sa akin
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 17
  • matalino man daw ang matsing;matsing pa rin!
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 03:42:32 am »
ok na cguro ang call center capital kaysa nman corruption capital or piracy capital of the world toast::

TobleRONe

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 123
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 03:50:48 am »
ok na cguro ang call center capital kaysa nman corruption capital or piracy capital of the world toast::

magagalit china nyan kung aangkinin ng Pilipinas ang piracy capital of the world  laffman::

in terms sa number, mas madami nga siguro ang nagtatrabaho sa call center sa India. pero pagdating sa quality ng spoken English Pilipinas pa rin ang the best.

djlove

• GOD KING
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 3
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 06:20:54 am »
ok na din kaso tinapon ng usa ang trabaho n yan kaya d2 nila nilagay hahahz
Cheat is Fun - Hacking is Good - learning Hack Is Better! ^^,
"People who think they are thinking usually dont really think as real thinkers think without the thought of them thinkin."

zaraki kenpachi

• self improvement is masturbation...self destruction is the answer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 14
  • pagmulat ng mata...langit nakatawa...
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 09:29:28 am »
ok na din kaso tinapon ng usa ang trabaho n yan kaya d2 nila nilagay hahahz

nge hindi tinapon ng US ang call center jobs sa pinas no... kaya nasa pinas ang mga call center kasi maliit lang ang bayad kung ikukumpara mo sa dolyares...

bakit nga naman sila magbabayad ng 8 to 12 dollars per hour kung mai outsource nila ung job sa asia na wala pang dalawang dolyares sa isang oras ang bayad...

saka isa pa, bakit tayo nakikipagkumpitensya para tawaging "call center capital of the world"... hindi naman sya demeaning pero parang hindi rin sya dapat pinagmamalaki... pano kasi, yung mga may tinapos sa unibersidad at kolehiyo, imbis na ipursige ang natapos nila, mas gugustuhin pang mag call centre... eh ung work na yan sa ibang bansa, tinatrabaho ng mga high school students at mga walang tinapos. kung baga angat lang sya ng konti sa pagflip ng burgers and pagtatanong ng "would you like some fries with that???"
my country is the world and my religion is to do good

bj_predator_0919

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 09:39:10 am »
here's my take on the issue:

im not really against the call center industry, i even think that it is a good idea especially because it generates jobs for thousands of desparate jobseekers. but let's not be cloud-headed for too long... it would be an embarassment sa mga previous generation of pinoy scholars kung ang mga anak at mga apo nila eh magiging call center agents... sasabihin nila for sure na "di nila pinalaki ang mga anak nila para maging tigasagot lang ng telepono"...

eto namang gobyerno naten eh imbis na ininstill sa kabataan ang value ng pagkakaroon ng isang propesyon na critical sa pag-unlad ng bansa gaya ng engineers, scientists,architechs, at iba pa eh call center agent at super maid ang iprinopromote sa kanila... it's embarassing...

being the call center capital of the world would be nice, and it would add to the grandeur of the country as well as contribute to the strengthening of our economy... but let's not just settle for being the call center capital of the world.. let's settle for something better...

Zornhau

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
  • Forever Alone
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 12:24:29 pm »
Having call centers here in RP is good, pero sana naman wag naman puro nalang Call Centers dahil hindi naman gaano makakatulong ito sa local industry natin.  smoking::

yobibs

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 3
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 08:12:25 pm »
  The point here is that it gives plenty of job opportunities to our people . Does it really matter what kind of job ? in my view, no decent, honest job is demeaning .Kesa naman mamalimos o' mag nakaw. A telemarketing job is not really easy. It takes a lot of training and persistence to be good at it.
Let's get over labeling jobs as status symbols or a measure of one's place in society ! Anyone who works for a living and supports one's own or a family deserves all  the respect and admiration ! Walang katumbas ang masipag at masigasig na nag tratrabaho ...  Good luck and Good Fortune to All !

walaangay

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 15
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 08:52:26 pm »
It's very encouraging. I think this is a good hope for our country and let us unite this for our country.

Alam ko sinisiraan tayo ng India. But let us work hard. Sana alisin na natin yun mga pessimistic crab mentality natin.

pokepoint:: for the author

jaybesguerra

• 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 23
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2007, 11:28:18 am »
The point here is that it gives plenty of job opportunities to our people . Does it really matter what kind of job ? in my view, no decent, honest job is demeaning.

Agree ako dyan. Basta decent job ang offerred, OK na. Very trainable and adaptable naman kasi ang mga pinoy, kaya kahit anong kurso ang tinapos nila, pwede ma train to another capability or industry.

It's very encouraging. I think this is a good hope for our country and let us unite this for our country.

Alam ko sinisiraan tayo ng India. But let us work hard. Sana alisin na natin yun mga pessimistic crab mentality natin.

pokepoint:: for the author
Hindi naman siguro sa lahat ng pagkakataon. Sa company namin kasi, parang partners namin ang mga Indian (or even other nationalities), pag mayroong hindi kaya gawin dito sa Pinas, pinapasa namin ang trabaho sa India, yung hindi naman nila kaya, pinapasa nila sa amin.

Pero agree ako. Mas mabilis maintindihan ang English ng Pinoy kaysa sa English ng Indian.

dakuako

• Citizen
  • Karma 0
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2007, 02:32:39 am »
with the "sucess" of the BPO industry, does it have an effect in the community where it is located?

cyberphobiac

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 3
    • Perplex Thoughts
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2007, 02:50:35 am »
with the "sucess" of the BPO industry, does it have an effect in the community where it is located?
Bulag ka ba? o talagang manhid lang? Hindi naman instant ang pag asenso. Pero makikita mo ang paunti unting pagbabago. Kasi Magkakaroon na ng trabaho mga kababyan natin. And mga BPO company nag babayad sila ng tax sa Gobyerno malaking tulong ito para mabawasan ang utang ng Pilipinas. Mabuti na may trabaho kahit papano kaysa walang ginagawa sa bahay kundi manood ng TV manood ng News at magmura sa di magagandang balita mag-hanap ng pag-senso habang naka-upo. At saka steping stone din para mag abroad kung nka trabaho ka sa Call Center mas mahahasa mo ang iyong Inglis which-is your primary weapon when planning abroad. Si Gloria po ang nagbukas ng Call Center Business dito sa Pinas. Bigyan naman natin ng Credit ang maubuting nagawa ni Gloria.

Xtremist

• "PinoySpy gentleman"
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
  • comprende?
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2007, 03:29:32 am »
  The point here is that it gives plenty of job opportunities to our people . Does it really matter what kind of job ? in my view, no decent, honest job is demeaning .Kesa naman mamalimos o' mag nakaw. A telemarketing job is not really easy. It takes a lot of training and persistence to be good at it.
Let's get over labeling jobs as status symbols or a measure of one's place in society ! Anyone who works for a living and supports one's own or a family deserves all  the respect and admiration ! Walang katumbas ang masipag at masigasig na nag tratrabaho ...  Good luck and Good Fortune to All !

I agree tol... I myself am a call center agent. At nakatapos naman ako ng college... Bakit ba natin minsan nadidiscriminate ang mga call center agents... let's see. Una, madali daw na trabaho. Tiga sagot daw lang ng telepono. Ok. I can give you that. Kwento ko muna cousin ko na asa na sa magulang sa mga padala galing abroad. May kotse, mamahaling cellphone at mgagarang damit. Lagi na lang nya siniraan sa akin ang customer service na profession. Porke daw mga high school grads eh kaya rin makapasa. Pride. Anyway, hinamon ko sya na mag apply sa company namin. Ano naging resulta? NEAR HIRE po sya. Which means, inisip ng HR na baka kaya pa sa konting grammar and accent training. After a week, di na sya tinawagan. Ladies and gentlemen, 2 pong kurso natapos nya. Compsci at Nursing. Ngayon, pinagtataka nyo kung bakit Nursing tas happy go lucky ang ogag? E tamad eh. Asa nga po sa magulang. Guys, again, ang pagiging call center agent ay di kinahihiya. Marangal at malaki ang sahod d2. Ung boss ng boss ng boss ko, 6 digit po ang sweldo. Asa pinas pa sya. Plus ang call center agents, di dinadala ang work sa bahay. At mali po ang iniisip nyo na ang mga managers at mga supervisors namin eh mga undergrads. Ang mga naprpromote po eh mga college graduates like me. Sana naman, bigyan natin din ng pansin na maganda rin ang naiidulot nito di lang sa GROWTH ng ating sarili kundi sa pag unlad din ng ating ekonomiya so to speak.

wolfpaq

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 3
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2007, 04:41:44 am »
Ako rin galing ng call center. It was one of the best job experience I've had. Plus dami dami pang chix! Although stressful minsan kasi hirap mag adjust ng oras pero enjoy naman. Kung meron lang sana call center noon (2005) sa mindanao, hanggang ngayon malaman may position na ako.

Masaya at okay na okay sa call center lalo na para sa mga young professionals...

"Greatness inspires envy, Envy engenders spite, Spite spawns lies..."

Paprika

• Melodramatic Fool
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Boy Haiku
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2007, 04:51:49 am »
I think Customer Service Representatives' (correct me if I'm wrong -- the correct term for CC agents) job is bull. 
I know a word that starts with F and ends in UCK. Firetruck.

yakk

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2008, 01:54:50 am »
Having a thriving BPO industy is all good and well, sana lang yung ibang industries mag-grow din.

Idiot

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 64
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2008, 03:47:59 am »
Same lang ang sahod sa States at Pinas the difference is walang masyadong benefits sa Pinas kase sa states ang daming benefits dun mag overtime ka lang may bayad. sa atin okay lang kung mag extend ka ng isang oras dahil hinhintay mo ang GF or friends mo para gumimik.

Tsaka binebase ng may ari nung call center yung sahod sa Pinas

like kung padala isang 1,000 dollars mga 40,000 pesos ang ibibigay lang sayo is yung Salary environment sa Pinas na 12,000 - 15,000 thousand pesos yung sobra sa boss mo na iyon kaya ang daming nagiging mayaman sa call center

Legsman

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 6
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 08:44:44 am »
bkit kya ang daming taong nadidiscriminate sa mga call center agents..kesyo high school graduate, ipagpatuloy mo ung natapos mong ung ntapos mong kurso, tigasagot lng ng telepono.. for your info di lang puro calls ang call center..may chat, email, accounting and moderators of forums and website on the net..

feeling ko ung mga nagsasabi nito e cla ung mga walang trabaho OR maganda ung trabaho nila kya ang lakas nila magyabang..

s call center hindi k tatamarin mgtrabaho kasi ok ung mga ktrabaho unlike s iba na puro seryoso s work..nkaka boring diba? hehe..
10 days suspension starting 12/21/09
Flaming

~Muska~

• *:--☆--:*:--☆:*:--☆--:*:--☆--:
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 9
  • ┌∩┐(â—£_â—¢)┌∩┐
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 12:36:12 pm »
bkit kya ang daming taong nadidiscriminate sa mga call center agents..kesyo high school graduate, ipagpatuloy mo ung natapos mong ung ntapos mong kurso, tigasagot lng ng telepono.. for your info di lang puro calls ang call center..may chat, email, accounting and moderators of forums and website on the net..

feeling ko ung mga nagsasabi nito e cla ung mga walang trabaho OR maganda ung trabaho nila kya ang lakas nila magyabang..

s call center hindi k tatamarin mgtrabaho kasi ok ung mga ktrabaho unlike s iba na puro seryoso s work..nkaka boring diba? hehe..

Actually ganyan yung ibang ka batch ko eh... Ganyan yung biro nila sakin... All i can say is 1 month salary mo , bonus ko pa lang yan....  ;D

indemnified

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 1
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 01:05:32 pm »
One thing that bothers me with the blooming of the BPO industry in our country is the also growing number of underemployment. We see many of our "skilled workers" opting to pursue Call Center careers rather than what they have studied for. But then again who could blame them if there's rampant unemployment everywhere. Not to degrade nor offend those in the BPO industry, for me being a call center agent would be last on my list simply because of the job's requirements (or non-requirements). It's sort of limiting your possibilities. Still, we should give them the respect they deserve. As what Sir yobibs has said, everyone who works decently for a living deserves our admiration. =)
New England Patriots Boston Red Sox Boston Bruins

edjaydaya

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 3
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 06:29:04 pm »
graduate o undergraduate does not matter much ngayon dahil mahirap talagang maghanap ng trabaho dito, ang importante yung capability ng tao na makapag perform ng kanyang given task o responsibility within or beyond the expectation of the employer, and this opportunity is very much visible in call centers, pag may galing ka madali kang ma promote, mas gaganda ang economic standing mo at ng pamilya mo.

call centers are boon to our present glut of graduates and undergraduates who are very much willing to earn or work for our very precious pesos and it is a very rewarding job!

Truepinoy

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2008, 11:25:15 am »
I see nothing wrong with the BPO industry booming here in the Philippines. It is a good source of money for those who needs it and have the capability to perform tasks that was assigned to him by his company. Yes, some of the call center companies look at your educational standings however a lot also does not. Those who accepts college undergraduates does not base the performance among the educational reach of a person but his ability to provide excellent service, which is a good thing, since getting a degree is not really that cheap, this is one good way for those students who stop due to financial needs to continue their education, as well as for those who took up vocational courses and wanted to go back to schooling. This is also a good source of money for single moms who solely support their kids.

Also the Call center industry is also a good staging place for a different kinds of career, here you'll develop a lot of things, mentally, emotionally and physically. It's like everyday you a learn a new thing and the learning does not stop.

Compared to India, as far as speaking English, yes I could proudly say that we do speak it more clearly, probably because of their accent. They might be good with the I.T. part but if given a chance, I know we Filipinos could match what they provide.

smoking::
War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace.
-Thomas Mann

Dont hate ... Appreciate

alexis1003

• Citizen
  • Karma 0
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2011, 09:47:51 pm »
No wonder, maraming call center companies ang lumilitaw dito eh. Tsaka Filipinos are the best call center agents as far as im concern.

BPO Companies Philippines