Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: PS3 SIXAXIS wireless contollers' battery ARE NOT HOTSWAPABLE  (Read 1036 times)

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
PS3 SIXAXIS wireless contollers' battery ARE NOT HOTSWAPABLE
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:09:27 pm »
SIXAXIS batteries not swappable, but Sony will replace controllers for free

Posted Oct 20th 2006 1:15PM by Evan Blass
Filed under: Gaming, Peripherals From: engadget.com

After having printed so many negative stories about Sony lately -- concerning its battery debacle, Blu-ray delays, and factually-questionable marketing, to name a few -- we're overjoyed to report on a company policy that will be sure to please gamers planning to pick up a PS3. Yesterday it was revealed that the wireless (and rumble-less) SIXAXIS controllers would not sport user-replaceable batteries, and given the fact that lithium ion cells only have a finite number of charges in them, it seemed that users would have to shell out $50 every time one of their gamepads crapped out. Not that this is necessarily a huge deal in a world where $300 iPods are also considered disposable, but it would still be kind of a slap in the face after throwing down $500 or $600 for a console with a purported 10-year life span. Well Sony feels for you starving gamers, so even though the party line is that "it'll be many years before there's any degradation in terms of battery performance," a spokesperson confirmed to Gamesindustry.biz that "we will be providing a service to exchange these items." Unless the service consists of an CSR giving you directions to the nearest GameStop, it would seem like Sony is planning on replacing dead controllers for free, which is a pretty nice feature in this world of planned obsolescence. Congrats on making the right decision here, Sony -- now is there any way we can get you to reconsider tossing a few decent cables into the box as well?

*the list goes on and on, u make me  laffman:: so much sony

the contrrollers use BlueTooth having a max range of 10 meters, dnt RUMBLE(not dual shock) and now it seems the batteries cannot be rmoved or rplaced meaning u have to wait for it to charge before you can play wireless unlike another console in the market having its Li-Ion batteries removed and recharged on a separate battery charging unit
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006, 08:04:23 am by xtian63 »

King CARLOS I

• cules, im not....
  • Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 20
  • -piR-
Re: PS3 SIXAXIS wireless contollers' battery ARE NOT HOTSWAPABLE
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 04:32:45 pm »
with sony's record with batteries, i wouldn't be surprised if it exploded too....

hehehe....

:D

visca el barca!

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
Re: PS3 SIXAXIS wireless contollers' battery ARE NOT HOTSWAPABLE
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006, 04:21:13 am »
with sony's record with batteries, i wouldn't be surprised if it exploded too....

hehehe....

:D

hehe i know what u mean but i dnt think the laptop incident would happen to the controllers, i just think the design was rushed too fast that things were left out, so the freedom of wirless controllers is only when ur controllers are juiced up, u can still play while charging coz thats how u charge the controllers via USB cable(included) though u cannot charge if ur ps3 is off... so sad