Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: No more free pass to PH: Duterte wants visa required for American visitors  (Read 7646 times)

A7x

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 149
  • Shhh.. Be quiet you might piss somebody off..

The days of Americans going in and out of the Philippines with just their passports in tow might soon be numbered after President Rodrigo Duterte announced his plan to require visas for United States citizens who will be visiting the country.

Speaking at the Philippines-China Trade and Investment forum in Beijing Thursday (Oct. 20), Duterte scored the Americans for visiting the Philippines “as if they own the place” just because they do not need a visa.

In contrast, he said Filipinos experience discrimination even when they go to the US with a visa.

“Filipinos who go to America and who have the money, they are not just only berated in the visa control, in the consular office… they are humiliated. And so maybe– Is there American here? If you are planning to go to my country, you get a visa from where you come from. Maybe it’s about time,” Duterte said.

The President said Filipinos are only treated nicely in the US when Americans know foreigners could contribute something to their country.

http://politics.com.ph/no-free-pass-ph-duterte-wants-visa-required-american-visitors/
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 08:19:03 am by A7x »

naruto789544

• Anime Fans
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 103
i think this is right... since we need to get visa to go to the USA, then it's just proper they get one also to visit our country...

rodeo

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 21
Ano ba rason at walang visa ang america and next question america lang ba walang visa? Kasi kung america lang oobligahin na magkavisa papunta sa pilipinas diba discrimination yun? dapat lahat ng bansa...pero counter productive naman yun in terms of tourism, ibelive some asian country nag lilift na ng visa to encourage tourism sa bansa nila. kung hindi man ilift nageexteend ng duration ng visa validity.

Malaman nagsalita nanaman siya without consulting yun kanyang mga adviser

burnhito

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 52
This will not only affect our tourism but also in investments. I hope they reconsider this foolish/stupid policy if they decided to push it.

Duterte's local policies are at A-, but foreign policies/interactions are at C. Burning foreign ties is a big no no.
If Only Close Minds Came With Close Mouth

tigerwing

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 54
Ilang filipino na ba ang overstaying o yung tinatawag nilang TNT sa amerika? And you wonder why kailangan natin kumuha ng VISA?  ::laffman ::laffman

Yung mga kano na nagpupunta dito sa pinas, wat are they? Investors? Tourist? Expats? Would you really want to restrict their entry to the country?

Simply put. Americans bring money to the Philippines. Filipinos on the other hand, if left unchecked, will most likely take money/jobs away from the americans..

O bka nmn iniisip nyo din na obligasyon ng mga amerkano na pagandahin ang buhay ng mga filipino.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 07:41:27 pm by tigerwing »

oishi

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
#facepalm...

freeyourmind

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 88
its all about tax.

naruto789544

• Anime Fans
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 103
we don't need visa if we're to visit our ASEAN neighbors and vice versa... but for other countries, i don't think requiring visas for those who want to visit our nation will be a big setback...

pumpy

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - First Star
  • Karma 0
Indeed, free passes should work in both directions.

rodeo

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 21
Ang issue lang kasi single out ang USA, wala din naman visa ang Japan, singapore, australia, uk , etc papunta sa pilipinas dapat rule to one rule to all, hindi yun isang bansa lang pinag iinitan...

weng151515

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 58
Re: No more free pass to PH: Duterte wants visa required for American visitors
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2016, 06:35:11 am »
fair enough kung lahat, hanapan ng visa...

naruto789544

• Anime Fans
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 103
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2016, 12:02:58 pm »
there are so many reasons to visit our country... even if a visa is required, i don't see a substantial drop of tourist coming to our country...

tigerwing

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 54
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2016, 07:50:27 pm »
there are so many reasons to visit our country... even if a visa is required, i don't see a substantial drop of tourist coming to our country...

American VISA policy if centered on national security concerns and immigration problems. Our is geared towards maximizing tourist arival. We want as many people as possible to come and visit. Make it harder for these people to come here by requiring a visa and you can be sure that some of them will be put off. 

Besides, if we will hand out VISA to just about everyone to keep our tourisim industry afloat then whats the point? Added gastos lang yan both for the travelers and the Philippine gov't.

TobleRONe

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 123
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 08:44:13 pm »
hindi naman kano ang number 1 tourist natin, kaya siguro ok lang na kumuha sila ng visa. pero hindi naman dapat napakahigpit sa pagkuha ng visa para sa mga turista. at para fair, huwag i-single out ang USA lang ang dapat kumuha ng visa.

etong

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 22
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 08:55:09 pm »
centered on national security concerns and immigration problems.

Hindi ba yun naman purpose talaga ng visa? And not just exclusive to america's policy.

I agree we want more people to visit but perhaps a little screening is okay. So baka dapat kung maapply to, hindi lang sa mga amerikano. Marami rin kasi just not americans but of different race ay pumupunta lang dito para sa - alam nyo na... :p

tigerwing

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 54
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2016, 10:44:00 pm »
Hindi ba yun naman purpose talaga ng visa? And not just exclusive to america's policy.

I agree we want more people to visit but perhaps a little screening is okay. So baka dapat kung maapply to, hindi lang sa mga amerikano. Marami rin kasi just not americans but of different race ay pumupunta lang dito para sa - alam nyo na... :p

Different countries different priorities, hence, different policies. Point here is we cant change our policies for the sake of getting even.

etong

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 22
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 12:36:43 am »
Different countries different priorities, hence, different policies. Point here is we cant change our policies for the sake of getting even.

My point though is in general i think its okay to have a required visa regardless of the priority or policies. It is for safety anyways. It would be better if we could apply it to the other countries as well, imo.

I agree why it might not be helpful for the reason you stated but I tend to lean on purpose of getting a visa.

Just try to disregard that its dutertes agenda and just think why are visas needed in going in our country. I mean is it such a bad idea to screen them? One problem i see with us is we welcome everyone with little to no security thats why foreigners can abuse and just fuck our country up.

I think the premise of "getting a visa is difficult" is whats your really against. But for its purpose i think its good to have one.

tigerwing

• Pioneer
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 54
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 01:38:34 am »
My point though is in general i think its okay to have a required visa regardless of the priority or policies. It is for safety anyways. It would be better if we could apply it to the other countries as well, imo.

I agree why it might not be helpful for the reason you stated but I tend to lean on purpose of getting a visa.

Just try to disregard that its dutertes agenda and just think why are visas needed in going in our country. I mean is it such a bad idea to screen them? One problem i see with us is we welcome everyone with little to no security thats why foreigners can abuse and just fuck our country up.

I think the premise of "getting a visa is difficult" is whats your really against. But for its purpose i think its good to have one.

Then it needs to be carefully delibirated. Identify and understand the pros and cons and set priorities based on what the country really needs. Do we need more security? Or do we need more money from tourists?

As ive said, what point is there in requiring a VISA if you give them out to just about everyone? On the other hand, a more stringent screening will make the process longer and more difficult, possibly resulting to less tourist arrival and an even weaker tourism industry (we lag behind other ASEAN countries in this sector).

So which is more important? I tend to lean towards more tourist arrival as that helps improve the lives of our people. Let the police handle the security..

burnhito

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 52
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 05:30:20 am »
I understand both tigerwing and etong's point view.
But in my point of view, Sir Tigerwing argument is most probably the reason why US requires visa. Kasi kadalasan yung may mga tourist visa na pinoy ang nag-TNT.

At kung ang irequire ng Pilipinas na kailangan ng visa ang mga foreign tourist parang napakahassle naman yun. Kahit na marami tayong magagandang tourist spot pero walang maayos na access sa daan, kuryente and siguredad. Malamang yung pipiliin ng mga foreign tourist ang bansang mas accessible at mas comfortable sa kanila. Halimbawa, last minute notice na bakasyon. Saan ka? Pilipinas na may visa o Thailand, Japan, HK, or Singapore na walang visa? Hindi lang sa tourism sama na natin ang business at investment ang apektado sa ating bansa.

Although the government must impost the appropriate punishment to those foreigners who violated our laws. Not only to give justice but also to instill obedience, follow our law and also to prevent crimes commited by the foreigners.

Kaya dapat lahat na foreigner sundin ang dress code sa DFA. LECHE!!! Pumunta ako sa kung todo postura. Kasi dapat sundin daw ang dress code. Yung tita ko hindi pinapasok dahil naka-button down sleeveless polo, tapos yung lintik na puti naka  sando, shorts at sandals lang king todo alalay pa ang mga guard at clerk. Ito pa ang matindi pinauna pa sa pila ng senior citizen... eh hindi naman senior yung puting bakulaw na yun. Kung nakakamatay lang yung mga tingin ng tao baka namatay na yun pyting bakulaw dahil nakuyog sa mga pamatay na tingin ng mga pinoy.
If Only Close Minds Came With Close Mouth

naruto789544

• Anime Fans
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 103
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 10:33:56 am »
i think congress can insert this in their agenda... if it is to be implemented, then a law should be passed...