Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: 9 Discontinued Japanese Performance Cars that Deserves a Successor  (Read 7783 times)

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
  • Special Skills: kalabit penge gang , taga jumper ng kuryente , sipsip gas at mang-buriki ng bigas
Japanese car makers seem to have a habit of killing off their fast cars without replacing them ,Here are nine cars we wish had lived on as new models

It was rumoured that the Subaru BRZ would die out after just one generation. Fortunately, that turned out to be false, as it’s been confirmed the BRZ will be living on to see a second generation, but many other fast Japanese cars haven’t been so lucky.

In fact, of all the world’s car makers, manufacturers from the Land of the Rising Sun seem to have the worst track record for bringing out incredible and iconic performance cars, only for them to be killed off with no replacement. Here are nine Japanese cars we wish had a successor.

Toyota MR2

Toyota gave us three generations of its mid-engined sports car. The final version weighs just under a tonne and has a 138 1.8-litre VVTi engine sporting 138bhp, and when we took one to Wales recently for our big Toyota shoot (full story coming soon), we found it to be an absolute blast to drive. Production stopped in 2006, and Toyota never brought out a direct replacement.

2. Mazda RX-8

Mazda brought rotary power to the masses when it replaced the RX-7 with the more accessible RX-8. The 1.3-litre, two-rotor ‘Renesis’ engine (better known by the childishly amusing ‘Wankel’ name) was available with either 198 or 227bhp, slotted into a sweet handling rear-wheel drive chassis.

UK sales ended in 2010 when the inefficient rotary engine proved too polluting for tightening EU emissions laws, and production ended in Japan a year later. Various rotary-powered replacements have been rumoured, but nothing has been confirmed.

3. Honda S2000

The incredible S2000 is pretty much guaranteed to go down as a classic, helped in no small part by the fact that it was never replaced. The front-engined, rear-wheel drive roadster has an F20C 2.0-litre four-pot under the bonnet, which delivers 240bhp at a screaming 8300rpm.

It requires a more attentive drive than other sports cars, too; early versions have no traction control to step in if you get things wrong. Show it the respect it deserves, and you’ll be rewarded with a brilliant drive, courtesy of the well-balanced, stiff chassis.

4. Honda Integra Type-R

The ingredients for the mighty ‘Teg Type-R weren’t complicated: a high-revving VTEC engine under the bonnet, a stripped-back interior to give low weight, and power sent to the front wheels through a limited-slip differential. However, those ingredients all came together to create an incredible driver’s car, not to mention one of the best handling front-wheel drive cars ever seen. However, the final incarnation of the standard Intergra died off in 2006, taking the Type-R with it.

5. Toyota Supra

The Supra went through four generations before being discontinued in various markets in the late 1990s. Production in Japan wound up in 2002, and we’ve not seen a new Supra since. The final incarnation is the one that’s probably most beloved by petrolheads, with its legendary 2JZ 3.0-litre straight-six, which in twin-turbo form kicks out 276bhp.

However, we’d love to see the Supra name make a comeback on something like the incredible Toyota FT-1 concept.

6. Subaru SVX

Before the Impreza had even gone on sale, Subaru was busy penning a powerful and luxurious grand tourer. The result was the SVX, a strikingly-styled coupe with a 3.3-litre 227bhp flat-six powering all four wheels. Unfortunately, with high prices and a plethora of quirky touches inside and out, the SVX was a huge flop. Production stopped in 1996, and Subaru was understandably reluctant to explore the wafty GT market again. Regardless, a successor for this thing would be interesting to see.

7. Mazda 6 MPS

With a 2.3-litre turbocharged four-pot producing 256bhp, Mazda’s stealthily-styled, four-wheel drive 6 MPS (known as the Mazdaspeed6 in some markets) will get you from 0-62mph in just 6.4 seconds and on to a top speed of 149mph. However, when the first-generation 6 made way for the second, the hot MPS all but disappeared, and it hasn’t returned for the current third-gen cars either.

The 6 MPS’ sales didn’t exactly set the world alight, so you can understand Mazda’s decision to ditch the car, but it’s a shame nonetheless. With the loss of this, the 3 MPS and the aforementioned RX-8, the only performance-orientated Mazda left is the MX-5. On the plus side, if you want a used 6 MPS, they’re an absolute bargain.

8. Mitsubishi 3000GT/GTO

With 280bhp from a 3.0-litre V6, Mitsubishi’s 90s coupe is a very fast thing indeed. It’s also an absolute tech fest: early cars were stuffed with clever things like active aero devices, electronically controlled suspension and an electronically controllable exhaust. It was way ahead of its time, and that was the problem. 3000 GTs were notorious for picking up ludicrously expensive repair bills when the complex electronic bits inevitably started to fail. Later cars were - as a consequence - much less complicated.

Production ran until the year 2000, and the name GTO or 3000 GT hasn’t been on a Mitsubishi since. The iffy reliability associated with the name means it probably won’t be resurrected, but a sporty coupe is something that’d hugely liven up the Mitusbishi brand, which in the UK doesn’t sell a single performance car at present.

9. Nissan Silvia

Darling of the JDM scene, the Silvia name can trace its roots back to the Datsun CSP311, produced from 1965-1968. It was resurrected in 1979 for the ‘S10,’ which was followed by the S11, S12, S13, S14 (pictured) and finally the S15. The S15 came with a 250bhp version of Nissan’s SR20DET turbo 2.0-litre four-pot, but in 2002, production ended and the Silvia was no more.

Nissan still makes performance cars with the likes of the 370Z and GT-R in the range, but nothing ever directly replaced the Silvia.

Source : carthrottle.com

i agree with this list  ::laffman still Dreaming to own a S2k , Nissan Silvia specially that $60K+ 2nd hand Toyota Supra

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
  • SPOON's Next Door Neighbor...DRIFT it FURTHER!
Re: 9 Discontinued Japanese Performance Cars that Deserves a Successor
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 09:30:15 pm »
S15, i agree, they should've continued it. Also the Mazda RX series...coz it's the ROTARY bearer. Also the NSX...though not in the list. But rumor has it that while the LanEvo is now discontinued, they will replace it with the new generation GTO. One thing that they should definitely retire...is the Mazda MX5...never liked the slow poke. cheap sportscar wannabe.
Be a Star but NEVER act friendly...
(Wipe Me Down)

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
  • Special Skills: kalabit penge gang , taga jumper ng kuryente , sipsip gas at mang-buriki ng bigas
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2014, 10:10:04 pm »
S15, i agree, they should've continued it. Also the Mazda RX series...coz it's the ROTARY bearer. Also the NSX...though not in the list. But rumor has it that while the LanEvo is now discontinued, they will replace it with the new generation GTO. One thing that they should definitely retire...is the Mazda MX5...never liked the slow poke. cheap sportscar wannabe.

Honda/Acura said it's gonna be on the 2015 , saw it in Autoerotica in facebook but im not sure about if it's legit

Rumor said that a new RX7 will debut in 2016 from what i heard , and yeah sad to see the EVO good bye :'(

i smoke one mx5  ::laffman at I-880 Oakland near O.Co

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 11:58:35 pm »
but the s2k and mx5 share the same reputation for well balanced body design. Too bad for the mx-5 living off the same engine for close to 20yrs now, hehe. Why not stick a b13 in there, twin.
(Wipe Me Down)

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 04:45:33 am »
because mx-5 is a car made for old persons who wanted a top down car on a budget

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:17:22 am »
yeah, and it's a lady's "sportscar". Stick a b13 rotary twin turbo in there, it might break...hahaha
(Wipe Me Down)

Belphegor

• You Can't Kill What You Did Not Create.
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 18
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 08:45:32 am »
sana mag 5 rotor na RX7 hehehehe
NSX sana magkaron din ng kasunod.
yung supra meron na ata nakitang next gen nya
Why stand on a silent platform? Fight the War, F*ck the Norm!

bAnaNa nUt cRunCh

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 39
  • Positivity
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 05:48:15 pm »
RX-7 please. :(
Wala akong sig. Eto nalang >> 2007 | Bravehearts

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2014, 06:21:41 pm »
we better wait for 2016 or 2017 to see if Mazda will remake the RX7 like they promise

i got a feeling it's gonna be Hybrid , just like the new Porsche Spyder and McLaren P1

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 11:37:00 pm »
Reason why they should discontinue the MX5, hehehe

(Wipe Me Down)

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2014, 01:33:13 am »
Reason why they should discontinue the MX5, hehehe

when i saw this on Topgear PH , hindi na ako nag comment mukhang MX5 owner yung nag comment na taga Top Gear PH  ::lmao

and that's the reason why it's a girl car  ::laffman not a racing car

bleep

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 18
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2014, 02:18:48 am »
if you ask me, its okay if they want to discontinue, but i wished they continued to make parts for old cars like these. unlike european vehicles, you can still buy original parts for a 1960s mercedes or even older. this would make the japs have more classic cars on the street today.

had a lancer box type with intercooler turbo engine. boost sensor broke. ive looked all over, including the internet. had no idea anymore where to buy the part. ended up selling it with a heavy heart. galant gti fog lamps are now hard to find and if you do see one, its expensive.

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2014, 02:45:44 am »
if you ask me, its okay if they want to discontinue, but i wished they continued to make parts for old cars like these. unlike european vehicles, you can still buy original parts for a 1960s mercedes or even older. this would make the japs have more classic cars on the street today.

had a lancer box type with intercooler turbo engine. boost sensor broke. ive looked all over, including the internet. had no idea anymore where to buy the part. ended up selling it with a heavy heart. galant gti fog lamps are now hard to find and if you do see one, its expensive.

Correct! A good example, as i saw on Wheeler Dealers, was that Jensen car. The brand only sold so-and-so units for a single model...as a company. But now there's still this plant who bought most of their molding machines and all the blueprints of the cars that went out the factory back then.
(Wipe Me Down)

Ilonggo-by-blood

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 37
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2014, 01:26:33 pm »
Sana yung Toyota Supra may 2015 version

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:45 pm »
Sana yung Toyota Supra may 2015 version

Toyota FT-1 na yung supra na next gen

Ilonggo-by-blood

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 37
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2014, 03:13:54 pm »
Toyota FT-1 na yung supra na next gen

sa pagka alam ko FT -1 is FT not a Supra anyway kung yun na yun ok. l mean hindi concept na FT but a Supra name and Supra breed. Light weight but with V6

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2014, 05:41:01 pm »
sa pagka alam ko FT -1 is FT not a Supra anyway kung yun na yun ok. l mean hindi concept na FT but a Supra name and Supra breed. Light weight but with V6

i somewhat agree with that the same thing when the Lexus LFA was release , everyone thinks it's the next supra

I think the FT-1 will be running on a V6 engine as well probably an upgrade 2JZ that gives the Supra his iconic motor but i have a feeling it will run on both Gas and Electric

but just like Jay Leno says ,  LFA Motor (4.8 L 1LR-GUE V10) plus the FT-1 Design . . . Dream Car  ::laffman
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 05:46:55 pm by kenji_kulet »

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2014, 09:23:39 pm »
2JZ-GTE = classic power, ofcourse head to head with RB26DETT. But i think it's time to come up with something new in terms of the engine, just like the skyline has a and VR38DETT and VQ35/37-HR for the smaller ones in place of the SR20DET.

I wonder what honda's up to
(Wipe Me Down)

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2014, 09:47:39 pm »
NSX probably gonna have a new engine too , same as S2000

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2014, 10:37:01 pm »
The NSX should sport the HR10EG engine from the HSV-010GT car.

- on the side...they should put this car on the road...really.

(Wipe Me Down)

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2014, 01:45:00 am »
is that a CRZ???  :o

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2014, 10:18:08 am »
That is a non-production car made to replace the NSX from the JGTC since it was phased out. The Honda HSV-010GT. Check it out on YouTube, it sounds like a F1 car. hehe. BTW, the NSX prototype...here's what happened today..UHHH OHHHH

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FfB5eHO1nq4[/youtube]
(Wipe Me Down)

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2014, 11:14:41 am »
That is a non-production car made to replace the NSX from the JGTC since it was phased out. The Honda HSV-010GT. Check it out on YouTube, it sounds like a F1 car. hehe. BTW, the NSX prototype...here's what happened today..UHHH OHHHH

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FfB5eHO1nq4[/youtube]

so the NSX wants to be a Ferrari now??  ::laffman

Type_One

• Power-UP!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 282
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2014, 11:41:36 pm »
looks like a smaller R8
(Wipe Me Down)

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2014, 12:00:59 am »
maybe the hybrid batteries didn't make it so it burned down  laffman::