Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Gerry Goffin, 2/11/39 - 6/19/14  (Read 1640 times)

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
Gerry Goffin, 2/11/39 - 6/19/14
« on: June 20, 2014, 04:36:49 pm »
American lyricist Gerry Goffin, former husband and songwriting partner of pop music icon Carole King, passed away last Thursday at his home in Los Angeles.

Although music lovers are more familiar with his ex-wife, Goffin wrote a number of songs (with her and with other musicians) that went on to become radio mainstays. Among those songs are "The Loco-Motion" (originally sung by Little Eva), "(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman" (which became a monster hit for Aretha Franklin), "Will You Love Me Tomorrow" by The Shirelles (the first hit for Goffin and King) in the 1960's; "Theme From Mahogany", more commonly known as "Do You Know Where You're Going To" from the 1975 film Mahogany starring Diana Ross; and the Peabo Bryson - Roberta Flack duet "Tonight I Celebrate My Love", Natalie Cole's "Miss You Like Crazy", and the late Whitney Houston's first Grammy winner "Saving All My Love For You" from the 1980's and 1990's. That string of chart-toppers was enough to earn Goffin and King an induction into the Songwriters' Hall Of Fame in 1987 and the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in 1990.

With regards to his profession, Goffin once said: "Being a lyricist is a pretty nice job."

Gerry Goffin is survived by his wife Michelle and their five children. He was 75.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3irmBv8h4Tw[/youtube]
Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.