Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: GOT's The Mountain:The strongest man in Iceland  (Read 2574 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
GOT's The Mountain:The strongest man in Iceland
« on: May 20, 2014, 01:52:13 pm »

This week on Game of Thrones we were introduced to the latest iteration of Gregor Clegane, aka The Mountain. This is actually the third different Mountain on the show, as the role has already been played by two different actors, both of whom were discarded like so many Bobby Drapers. But that’s not the point right now. The point is that the new Mountain is played by 6’9″, 400 lb. Hafþór “Thor” Júlíus Björnsson of Iceland!

Björnsson’s claim to fame prior to his Game of Thrones appearance was that he is the third strongest man in the world and the strongest man in Iceland. Very few things sound cooler than “the strongest man in Iceland.” The Indianapolis Colts briefly flirted with bringing him in to play defensive line, which would have been awesome, but Björnsson declined, saying in a recent Reddit AMA

“I had to choose between being a strong man competitor as well as an actor – and the NFL. Right now my head and my goal is becoming the Worlds Strongest Man!” Seems reasonable.

And speaking of Björnsson’s Reddit AMA:

What is your daily diet and how many calories/protein/fat/carbs is it? Also what does a weight lifting routine for a Strongman look like? What types of cardio do you do?

I consume around 10.000 calories pr. day. It varies a lot, though, depending on whether I am working as an actor or to compete in the Worlds Strongest man or the likes.

Cardio = Sex and from moving HEAVY weights at the gym
   :D

he's great at tossing keg too! 

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFr-_1eR1m8[/youtube]

« Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 01:59:07 pm by FerminaDaza »

jesstaticX

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 0
Re: GOT's The Mountain:The strongest man in Iceland
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 01:54:53 am »
Can't wait for GOT's next episode.

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
GOT's 'Trial by Combat' is gonna be Epic!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 03:39:36 am »

yups! they said the scene's gonna be epic-

Imagine the best possible fight sequence. Then double it. That’s what Benioff and Weiss are teasing, via EW:

“It’s one of the best — if not the best — combat scenes we’ve done so far,” Weiss said. “It’s not just people hacking at each other with spears and swords. It’s the culmination of 20 years of anger and hatred and thirst for vengeance coming to a head in this amazing set piece that [stunt coordinator Paul Herbert and swordmaster C.C. Smiff] have put together. The fight delivers beyond our expectations.”

“It’s one of those fights that from the very beginning of the process of planning the show before season one we knew would be a high point if done properly,” Weiss said. “And it’s a real challenge because The Mountain is The Mountain — you need to find an enormous human being who can also deliver what you need on physical front. And you need an Oberyn who delivers what you need as an actor and pull off the extremely strenuous side of that fight, which we shot over several days. We were lucky to find Pedro Pascal for Oberyn, who gives such a stunning, fun, and dangerous performance. And Hafþór for The Mountain is a truly unusual specimen — I believe he’s the third-strongest man in the world and a former basketball player, so he knows how to move. To see somebody who is 6′ 9″ and moving the way he does in person is a surreal sight to behold.”

FerminaDaza

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
The Mountain deadlift almost 1K pounds
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 04:22:37 pm »
Björnsson, the second-strongest man alive, stands 6'9" tall and can bench press 500 pounds, squat 770 pounds and "raw" deadlift 925 pounds. In this video from the 2014 Arnold Strongman Classic, he handles an insane 994 pounds in the hummer-tire deadlift.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZEk4NG1-o&sns=em[/youtube]

BuzzFeed

💪💪💪

+

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tv4t9LhDLQ8&sns=em[/youtube]

« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 04:33:28 pm by FerminaDaza »

MasterChief63

• fire your guns, it's time to run, BLOW ME AWAY
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 254
  • FINISH THE FIGHT...
Re: The Mountain deadlift almost 1K pounds
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 04:29:07 pm »
Björnsson, the second-strongest man alive, stands 6'9" tall and can bench press 500 pounds, squat 770 pounds and "raw" deadlift 925 pounds. In this video from the 2014 Arnold Strongman Classic, he handles an insane 994 pounds in the hummer-tire deadlift.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZEk4NG1-o&sns=em[/youtube]

BuzzFeed

💪💪💪

to think he was originally a basketball player, it was a good thing since there is no Icelandic NBA Superstar

Zakary

• Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 10
Re: GOT's The Mountain:The strongest man in Iceland
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 10:37:53 am »
grabe tong taong to

FerminaDaza

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
GOT's The Mountain:"THE KING OF THE STONES"
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 03:10:29 am »
#2014Europe'sStrongestMan

Note the Atlas stone event around the 2:00 mark, because it ends with him tearing his shirt off and screaming “I AM THE FUTURE OF STRENGTH, AS I AM THE KING OF THE STONES” into a microphone during a post-event report.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyIMu-FnEOA#t=296[/youtube]

good to see you again,buddy! :D