Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: RIP:most loved writer,author,Gabriel García Marquez 💐  (Read 1541 times)

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.

The Colombian Nobel laureate Gabriel García Márquez, who unleashed the worldwide boom in Spanish language literature and magical realism with his novel One Hundred Years of Solitude, died at the age of 87. He had been admitted to hospital in Mexico City on 3 April with pneumonia.

Matching commercial success with critical acclaim, García Márquez became a standard-bearer for Latin American letters, establishing a route for negotiations between guerillas and the Colombian government, building a friendship with Fidel Castro and maintaining a feud with fellow literature laureate Mario Vargas Llosa that lasted more than 30 years.

Barack Obama said the world had lost "one of its greatest visionary writers", adding that he cherished an inscribed copy of One Hundred Years of Solitude, presented to him by the author on a visit to Mexico. "I offer my thoughts to his family and friends, whom I hope take solace in the fact that Gabo's work will live on for generations to come."

Colombian president Juan Manuel Santos said yesterday via Twitter: "A thousand years of solitude and sadness at the death of the greatest Colombian of all time. Solidarity and condolences to his wife and family ... Such giants never die."

Asked in 1981 about his ambitions as a writer he suggested that it would be a "catastrophe" to be awarded the Nobel prize, arguing that writers struggle with fame, which "invades your private life" and "tends to isolate you from the real world".

"I don't really like to say this because it never sounds sincere," he continued, "but I would really have liked for my books to have been published after my death, so I wouldn't have to go through all this business of fame and being a great writer."

RIP seiugneur. thank you!we love you!!~Florentino Ariza & Fermina Daza ❤️

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 01:30:41 am by FerminaDaza »

Makaldz

• Anubis Warrior
  • Deep Penetration Agent
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 49
  • Pax et Bonum
Re: RIP:most loved writer,author,Gabriel García Marquez 💐
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 07:09:03 am »
Nabasa ko ang kanyang "100 years of solitude" na nabibiliang sa mga magic realism books like isabel allende's house of spirit. Ang ganda ng pagkakagawa, napaka-haba ng timeline ng story. Well, Rest in Peace, Garcia Marquez

FerminaDaza

• Be your own Adviser.u know.and i know u know.I know because we all know.There's no getting away w/it.
  • Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 514
  • My only aim is to help, not convince.
Re: RIP:most loved writer,author,Gabriel García Marquez 💐
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 11:09:59 am »

""Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover ice."

"He dug so deeply into her sentiments that in search of interest he found love, because by trying to make her love him he ended up falling in love with her. Petra Cotes, for her part, loved him more and more as she felt his love increasing, and that was how in the ripeness of autumn she began to believe once more in the youthful superstition that poverty was the servitude of love. Both looked back then on the wild revelry, the gaudy wealth, and the unbridled fornication as an annoyance and they lamented that it had cost them so much of their lives to find the paradise of shared solitude. Madly in love after so many years of sterile complicity, they enjoyed the miracle of living each other as much at the table as in bed, and they grew to be so happy that even when they were two worn-out people they kept on blooming like little children and playing together like dogs." 

~ the Epic "100 YOS" 

« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 11:13:25 am by FerminaDaza »