Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Filipino Winter Olympian's family mortgaged home for ticket to Sochi  (Read 2673 times)

Rockford

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 232
  • WORK Hard,PARTY Harder!
Filipino Winter Olympian's family mortgaged home for ticket to Sochi

MANILA, Philippines - With little support from the government, the family of the Philippines' lone Winter Olympian Michael Christian Martinez resorted to mortgaging their home to send the 17-year-old to Sochi, Russia as the first Filipino Winter Olympian in 22 years.

Martinez, whose mother tells Catholic News Service that she reached out to President Benigno Aquino for financial help without response, also overcame an inflamed knee and his family's typhoon-ravaged farm to make it to the biggest stage in figure skating.

“My house is mortgaged. It’s a crazy investment,” said Maria Teresa Martinez, the figure skater's mother. "I don't even think anyone at the president's office knows there's a Filipino skating in the Olympics."

It's a gamble, but the teenager from Paranaque, Manila, Philippines is relying on his faith and family's support to carry him to the promised land.

"Before there was no one to hold on to, only my mom but no one else," he told Simone Orendain of the Catholic Register. "So I'm holding on to God. Every competition I ask him for help and confidence and it really works!"

Martinez, 17, and a devout Catholic, is vying to become the first Filipino to medal at the Winter Games, having bested international pre-Olympic tournaments to earn an elusive ticket to to Russia.

Power of prayer

Martinez began ice skating at the age of 8 as therapy for his debilitating asthma before plunging into competitive skating. One he stepped up to the international level, the same problems surfaced: lack of equipment, coaching, and expenses hobbled Martinez's family, but it didn't stop the soon-to-be Olympian from reaching his goals.

Michael's mother shared to CNS: "I just tell him to prepare and pray, because sometimes really we cannot afford to bring the coach. So I told him just pray."

With help from sponsor Manny V. Pangilinan and others, Martinez was able to network with coaches in international stints who would help him in his ambition. Most of his training stipends went towards trips to Southern California to prepare for this event.

Martinez will see his first action on the ice on Thursday, February 13 for the men's short program. The short program, which will air live on TV5 from 11 PM to 3:30 AM, is the qualifying round wherein the top 24 skaters will advance to the free skate program. - Rappler.com

http://www.rappler.com/sports/specials/olympics/50177-filipino-winter-olympian-family-risked-home-for-ticket-to-sochi

<<<< wala bang kahit konting tulong dyan from the govt or POC?! :(

Please delete / lock if posted

gh0st

• The Ghost Rider "Penance Stare"
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 13
  • Johnny Blaze
Re: Filipino Winter Olympian's family mortgaged home for ticket to Sochi
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 10:01:11 am »
Sad to hear na walang tulong na natanggap sa government... sana lumapit sila kay MVP baka sakali since he is a sports advocate...
PS3 Gamer

Games: MGS4/LBP/GOW3/GOW Collections/Dante's Inferno/Heavy Rain
PS2 Slim CB-7006 Charcoal Black
PSP Deep Red GOW Edition
PS3 40GB NTSC/J Piano Black
--------------------------------------
PSN: ryojan

-=Kurabo=-

• Patience is a Virtue but Time is Gold
  • 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 48
  • Kurabo
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 10:31:33 am »
salamat na lang may MVP tayo na all out support sa mga athlete natin unlike sa Presidente ng PSC na si Peping Cojuangco na every since umupo sa pwesto pababa ng pababa dekalidad ng atleta natin

it ain't over. . .till its over

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 02:26:32 pm »
Did they really mortgage their home? There are reports to the contrary regarding this matter.
Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
  • Special Skills: kalabit penge gang , taga jumper ng kuryente , sipsip gas at mang-buriki ng bigas
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:28:00 pm »
i read an article in wordpress that BIR Kumisyon-ner Kim Henares likes to see if the lone olympian's family is paying the right TAX

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 02:31:27 pm »
i read an article in wordpress that BIR Kumisyon-ner Kim Henares likes to see if the lone olympian's family is paying the right TAX

But that's her bureau's job, isn't it?

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
  • Special Skills: kalabit penge gang , taga jumper ng kuryente , sipsip gas at mang-buriki ng bigas
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 04:59:32 pm »
But that's her bureau's job, isn't it?

Here is the Article sir BAZ

MANILA, Philippines — After saying that they had to mortgage their home for their son to go to Sochi when in fact they received government support via the Philippine Olympic Committee (POC) and the International Olympic Committee, the family of Michael Christian Martinez, the country’s lone representative to the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics has piqued the interest of the Bureau of Internal Revenue (BIR).

“Magsisinungaling naman ako kung sasabihin kong hindi ako curious kung nagbabayad ba itong pamilyang ito ng tamang buwis, kasi sabi nila may sarili silang bahay (I would be lying if I told you that I’m not one bit curious if this family is paying correct taxes, because they did admit that they own a house),” said BIR Commissioner Kim Henares.

“It is natural for us to look into it because like we said anytime there is a controversy, we look at the tax compliance because it says a lot about the character of the person whether they comply with laws including tax laws,” she added.

Besides the alleged mortgage, the family of Martinez also relied on sponsors like Smart and Manny Pangilinan Foundation.
“We will verify if their statement has any basis,” said Henares.  ”After that, we shall conduct a comprehensive audit if the donations and monetary support given by the sponsors were properly spent.”

The bureau clarified that like the rest of the country, they too are rooting for the skater, and hopes that he’ll win one or two gold medals.
“Pero paalala ko lang po na yung gintong medalya ay hindi po tax-free (But just a reminder, those gold medals are not tax-free).”

http://sowhatsnews.wordpress.com/2014/02/11/pinoy-lone-skater-arouses-birs-curiosity/

i don't know it weird reading both articles

on the first article said they didn't receive any help from the government , but on this article said they receive help

and it keeps me thinking about this is , the Family mortgage their home to help our Lone Olympian fly to Sochi but the BIR wanted to do an audit because they mortgage their house? plus the fact that they receive any help from our government -- then why mortgage their home if there is any help?

d_sinner78

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 41
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 08:39:15 pm »
Guys, one thing you need to understand about journalism is that they're telling a story. In school, one of the first things they're taught is that it's irresponsible to give facts without a stand or with no logical conclusion. That said, they are also taught to verify their facts and lay out the truth. Parang, issue lang dati kay Cooper.

If you read the story carefully, the family never said that they received no support. They said they had "little" support and when they asked Pnoy's office, they were turned down. Exactly how much is "little" , we don't know, but we can just assume it was not enough to cover all their expenses.

Wala naman bago dyan. Kahit sa summer Olympics hindi sila fully funded ng government. Sponsored sila usually ng private companies. At kung huhula ako, I'd say na limited ang support ng private sector kasi marami naglabas ng pera for Yolanda relief.

Then there goes the other article asking BIR kung tinitingnan nila ung tax ng parents. Of course the commissioner has to say yes kasi trabaho nya yun. Parang tinanong mo si manong sikyu kung nagbabantay ba sya. Kahit in truth e natutulog lang sa gabi, syempre sasabihin nyang nagbabantay sya.

rodeo

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 21
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 03:45:33 am »
ang pinoy maawain, nun sinabi ng nanay na halos 500 dollars ata a day ang ginagastos nila  at konti/ maliit lang ang tulong na narereceive nila sa government medyo ang daming nagreact, may simpatiya agad sa masa.

pero kung iisipin mabuti yun 500 dollars a day  niya na gastos is almost one month nang salary ng mga atleta natin...

ang pilipinas tropical country at impractical na magpadala ng athlete sa winter olympics, nakakatuwa na may representative tayo pero kung special attention naman ang maibibigay sa kanya ng gobyerno kawawa naman ang mga ibang atleta natin.

dweizz

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 35
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 11:27:18 am »
sa pilipinas, kailangan maging number 1 ka muna bago ka pansinin... didikit lang sayo mga tao kapag sikat ka na

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 02:51:10 pm »
ang pilipinas tropical country at impractical na magpadala ng athlete sa winter olympics, nakakatuwa na may representative tayo pero kung special attention naman ang maibibigay sa kanya ng gobyerno kawawa naman ang mga ibang atleta natin.

To be fair, Michael Christian Martinez isn't the only athlete at the 2014 Winter Olympics facing funding problems because he comes from a snow-free country. Jamaica's bobsled team--yes, they have one again--had to resort to crowd funding to raise money for equipment and travel fare so that they could compete in Sochi. And Forbes Magazine's website reported a couple of weeks ago that the U.S. two-man bobsled team also had money problems due to the fact that they hadn't won a medal since the 1836 Winter Games. Only their partnership with 24 Hour Fitness and BMW of North America gave them sufficient backing to race at Sochi -- and even then they're under pressure to win gold or the USOC might just pull the plug on the team completely.