Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Is Manny Pacquiao evasive about his taxes because he doesn’t want to reveal that  (Read 6148 times)

brianbat

• Active - First Star
  • Karma 8
click on the link at the bottom for a thorough read..

Because if Manny Pacquiao has a green card – which makes him a permanent resident or US immigrant – then he can’t be a Philippine congressman.

And the best way to clear the air is to show his complete US tax records for 2009 and 2012.

It was Yvonne, one of the frequent commenters on Cyber Plaza Miranda, the growing community of people who congregate on this site, who tipped me off about this angle. She  sent me a bunch of  documents and links to look over.

One link immediately jumped out: that of www.wilneroreilly.com, a California law firm specializing in immigration. The company announced in March 2005 that Manny Pacquiao had hired the firm as its “immigration counsel.” See the announcement by clicking on this link.

http://raissarobles.com/2013/12/09/is-manny-pacquiao-evasive-about-his-taxes-because-he-doesnt-want-to-reveal-that-hes-a-us-green-card-holder/

bodieph

• Gold Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
bakit hindi? last I checked the Philippines allows dual citizenship, meaning he can have both Filipino and another country's citizenship. that shouldn't be an issue since he is still a Filipino citizen, it will only be an issue if he renounces his Filipino citizenship. ang requirement lang naman is he/she must be a natural born citizen

besides immigrant pa lang naman, hindi pa naman US citizenship yan
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:51:16 am by bodieph »

d_sinner78

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 41
bakit hindi? last I checked the Philippines allows dual citizenship, meaning he can have both Filipino and another country's citizenship. that shouldn't be an issue since he is still a Filipino citizen, it will only be an issue if he renounces his Filipino citizenship. ang requirement lang naman is he/she must be a natural born citizen

Hindi nabanggit sa article, pero isang pang requirement ng pagtakbong Congressman e 1 year residency sa distrito mo. Nung 2010 siya unang naging Congressman, so maaring yun ang pinupunto nila. Hindi lang malinaw...

bouya harumichi

• "i only fight with people who look stronger than me! Else i can't burn!"
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 76
  • Real Men Need To Stand Out
Puwede natin pagbasehan nian dito.. ung case dati ni ex Senator Jovito Salonga..

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1370&dat=19920112&id=Y2cVAAAAIBAJ&sjid=igsEAAAAIBAJ&pg=1534,1717548
"If you don't know defeat, it's just because you have only ever been picking on people that weaker than yourselve. There's a word for that: embarrassing!"

bodieph

• Gold Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
ok assuming it pertains to 2010, its moot because the term for that position is over and no one questioned it during that time. perhaps if they raise that issue regarding his current term, then baka pwede pa but then again permanent resident does not necessarily mean you are in that place the entire time, pwede namang sa 1 year eh dun siya tumira sa district niya to fulfill the requirements (which is what most politicians do, titira muna sa ibang lugar for one year para qualified to run for office in that area - i.e. si erap na taga san juan tumira ng manila para makatabo ng mayor)

Ilonggo-by-blood

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 37
kahit ilang Billion ang income ni Pacquiao hayaan niyo na yan. He deserves his Income hindi galing sa nakaw kung kulang ang Tax ok lang yan...Look at the "name" tyhe accolades and the prestige he brought for this country. We put Philippines back in the boxing Map after many idle years years years years and years. Maraming mga tax exemption binibigay Government natin why not give Pacquiao the same.

Ilonggo-by-blood

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 37

anyway walang dual citizenship. Hinding hindi yan pwede look can you vote  in two country? Can you run for both country. Baka Multiple entry sa isang country but not Dual citizenship. It is a term widely use ng mga mayayabang na naka punta ng US at may multiple entry visa. You cannot hold two passport at a time. Some have two passport just because yung isang passport hindi pa nakuha ng state.

d_sinner78

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 41
anyway walang dual citizenship. Hinding hindi yan pwede look can you vote  in two country? Can you run for both country. Baka Multiple entry sa isang country but not Dual citizenship. It is a term widely use ng mga mayayabang na naka punta ng US at may multiple entry visa. You cannot hold two passport at a time. Some have two passport just because yung isang passport hindi pa nakuha ng state.

Well, actually meron. You need to look up the rules of each country to see how they view define dual citizenship para malaman ang instances na allowed ito.

http://immigration.gov.ph/?option=com_content&task=view&id=163&Itemid=83

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

d_sinner78

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 41
kahit ilang Billion ang income ni Pacquiao hayaan niyo na yan. He deserves his Income hindi galing sa nakaw kung kulang ang Tax ok lang yan...Look at the "name" tyhe accolades and the prestige he brought for this country. We put Philippines back in the boxing Map after many idle years years years years and years. Maraming mga tax exemption binibigay Government natin why not give Pacquiao the same.

I am not comfortable with this idea. On one hand, yes, "pinaghirapan" nya yung pera na yun, pero pinaghihirapan din naman ng karamihan sa atin yung kinikita natin at na-taxan din naman tayo. Pero ba't pwedeng i-exempt sa tax si Manny e di hamak naman mas malaki yung kinikita nya kesa sa atin? I'm not saying na higupin ng BIR lahat ng pera nya, magbayad lang nang ayon sa batas.

Ilonggo-by-blood

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 37
Well, actually meron. You need to look up the rules of each country to see how they view define dual citizenship para malaman ang instances na allowed ito.

http://immigration.gov.ph/?option=com_content&task=view&id=163&Itemid=83

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html

hetu basahin at unawain.

Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

(from the link you gave)

unawain!!!

hetu pa  also the link you gave

That right to vote or be elected or appointed to any public office in the Philippines cannot be exercised by, or extended to, those who:

(a)    are candidates for or are occupying any public office in the country of which they are naturalized citizens; and/or

(b)    are in active service as commissioned or non-commissioned officers in the armed forces of the country which they are naturalized citizens. 

and NOT ONE mentioned dual Citizenship.
Dual nationality with clauses and condition. NATIONALITY and with Condition kung basahin mo ang conditions. It is still the same as a regular tourist with a little plus. the main purpose? for allegiance incase of war.

To the topic:

I understand your predicament. kasu nag iisang Pacquiao yan bro yung mga National artist nga tax exempted for the rest of the their lives. Hetu kay Pacquiao Kunting consolation lang sa Pambihirang accolades niya in the World.  let's give him a little slack.

d_sinner78

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 41
hetu basahin at unawain.

Also, a person who is automatically granted another citizenship does not risk losing U.S. citizenship. However, a person who acquires a foreign citizenship by applying for it may lose U.S. citizenship. In order to lose U.S. citizenship, the law requires that the person must apply for the foreign citizenship voluntarily, by free choice, and with the intention to give up U.S. citizenship.

Intent can be shown by the person's statements or conduct.The U.S. Government recognizes that dual nationality exists but does not encourage it as a matter of policy because of the problems it may cause. Claims of other countries on dual national U.S. citizens may conflict with U.S. law, and dual nationality may limit U.S. Government efforts to assist citizens abroad. The country where a dual national is located generally has a stronger claim to that person's allegiance.

(from the link you gave)

unawain!!!

hetu pa  also the link you gave

That right to vote or be elected or appointed to any public office in the Philippines cannot be exercised by, or extended to, those who:

(a)    are candidates for or are occupying any public office in the country of which they are naturalized citizens; and/or

(b)    are in active service as commissioned or non-commissioned officers in the armed forces of the country which they are naturalized citizens. 

and NOT ONE mentioned dual Citizenship.
Dual nationality with clauses and condition. NATIONALITY and with Condition kung basahin mo ang conditions. It is still the same as a regular tourist with a little plus. the main purpose? for allegiance incase of war.

To the topic:

I understand your predicament. kasu nag iisang Pacquiao yan bro yung mga National artist nga tax exempted for the rest of the their lives. Hetu kay Pacquiao Kunting consolation lang sa Pambihirang accolades niya in the World.  let's give him a little slack.

Hehe... Parang religion thread lang. Mukhang nabasa mo ung mga gusto mo basahin. Pakibasa na lang uli ung first sentence nung US link saka ung title nung link from Phil link. Anyway, that was a response to your statement na walang dual citizenship.

Tama naman ung ibang points mo which only stresses the fact na kung dual citizen nga si Pacquiao, maaring maging grounds yun for his disqualification.

Ilonggo-by-blood

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 37
Hehe... Parang religion thread lang. Mukhang nabasa mo ung mga gusto mo basahin. Pakibasa na lang uli ung first sentence nung US link saka ung title nung link from Phil link. Anyway, that was a response to your statement na walang dual citizenship.

Tama naman ung ibang points mo which only stresses the fact na kung dual citizen nga si Pacquiao, maaring maging grounds yun for his disqualification.

I am just stating the idea ng immigration lawyer na sa ANC sina  Atty. Mike Templo and Atty. Michael Garfinkel. So if anyone better than them that knows Immigration ewan ko na lang.

anyway.King  Disqualify si Pacquiao sa election dahil sa Citizenship niya nakakatawa yun. It should have been seen before filing the candidacy.

rodeo

• 2006 Vanguards
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 21
i think same case ito kay edu manzano, para makatakbo siya sa makati as mayor ata , binitawan nya ang pagiging dual citizenship  niya.

d_sinner78

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 41
I am just stating the idea ng immigration lawyer na sa ANC sina  Atty. Mike Templo and Atty. Michael Garfinkel. So if anyone better than them that knows Immigration ewan ko na lang.

anyway.King  Disqualify si Pacquiao sa election dahil sa Citizenship niya nakakatawa yun. It should have been seen before filing the candidacy.

Well, I don't know their definition of dual citizenship, pero i-quote ko na mula sa site ng U.S. Department of State, "The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time." Hindi rin nakakatawa yan, dahil maraming beses nang nangyari yan.

Eto kelan lang: http://manilatimes.net/high-court-disqualifies-marinduque-representative/57756/. Si Bouya Harumichi may nahanap din about Salonga. Ung isang mayor sa Pangasinan nanalo na rin ng re-election bago na-disqualify dahil dual citizen.

Ilonggo-by-blood

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 37
Well, I don't know their definition of dual citizenship, pero i-quote ko na mula sa site ng U.S. Department of State, "The concept of dual nationality means that a person is a citizen of two countries at the same time." Hindi rin nakakatawa yan, dahil maraming beses nang nangyari yan.

Eto kelan lang: http://manilatimes.net/high-court-disqualifies-marinduque-representative/57756/. Si Bouya Harumichi may nahanap din about Salonga. Ung isang mayor sa Pangasinan nanalo na rin ng re-election bago na-disqualify dahil dual citizen.

exactly my point...you cannot have Dual citizen kaya nga disqualify. It's dual Nationality ang dapat tawag diyan. You can BE a citizen of two country but not perform and have the same privilege as a regular citizen. see that's the whole point na disqualify siya. You have to make a choice where ka maging Mayor sa Pinas or sa US.

bodieph

• Gold Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332

actually you can. Philippine law allows it. in fact, the bureau of immigration has specific rules for when you present both passports to be stamped

"In the arrival, stay and departure of Filipinos with dual or multiple citizenship, where the Filipino presents a Philippine passport and a foreign passport, the arrival or departure stamp shall be stamped on both passports. In the foreign passport, the immigration officer shall put either of the following notations on the provision for the authorized stay in the arrival or departure stamp:"

http://immigration.gov.ph/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=239&Itemid=80

anyways, citizenship should not be an issue since green card holder pa lang naman. that is not the same as being a US citizen

d_sinner78

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 41
exactly my point...you cannot have Dual citizen kaya nga disqualify. It's dual Nationality ang dapat tawag diyan. You can BE a citizen of two country but not perform and have the same privilege as a regular citizen. see that's the whole point na disqualify siya. You have to make a choice where ka maging Mayor sa Pinas or sa US.

Actually, nalito na ako kung ano ung point mo. Is it possible for a person to have dual citizenship? Yes it is. The US can call it Dual Nationality or whatever they want to, but as far as the Philippine government is concerned, it is called dual citizenship. Just because there are limitations to your citizenship doesn't remove your citizenship. Just because bawal, it doesn't mean na susundin ng lahat. Kaya nga may nad-disqualify dahil kahit alam namang bawal tuloy pa rin sa pagkandidato.

With regards to the earlier discussion, some understood it na baka dual citizen si Pacquiao, but if you read through the article, hindi naman sinabi na US citizen si Pacquiao. So ano ba sa tax return ang possibleng tinatago ni Manny? Well one thing I can think of is kung anong rate ang in-apply kay Manny. Na-tax ba sya as a tax resident or as a non resident? Kasi kung as resident, it means hindi nya nakumpleto ung one year residency requirement para kumandidato as Congressman. Yes, they are talking about his 2008 and 2009 tax returns right now, pero dun din ung laban nya kay Marquez at Bradley.

bobotnaman

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 20
I am not comfortable with this idea. On one hand, yes, "pinaghirapan" nya yung pera na yun, pero pinaghihirapan din naman ng karamihan sa atin yung kinikita natin at na-taxan din naman tayo. Pero ba't pwedeng i-exempt sa tax si Manny e di hamak naman mas malaki yung kinikita nya kesa sa atin? I'm not saying na higupin ng BIR lahat ng pera nya, magbayad lang nang ayon sa batas.

sa akin tama lang na hindi na siya magbayad ng tax dito, tutal sa ibang bansa naman niya kinita yung pera niya. parang OFW tax exempt, alangan naman double tax bayaran niya?

d_sinner78

• Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 41
sa akin tama lang na hindi na siya magbayad ng tax dito, tutal sa ibang bansa naman niya kinita yung pera niya. parang OFW tax exempt, alangan naman double tax bayaran niya?

Kaso hindi considered na OFW kapag pa-isa-isang laban lang. Ayon sa BIR, hindi naman nila tina-tax-an ng doble si Manny. Dahil meron tayong law against double-taxation, ibabawas sa na-assess na tax ung binayad nya sa U.S. Ang problema since hindi nya sinagot on time ung mga request ng BIR napatawan ng interest at penalties. To be honest, mahina ako sa math, pero nag-estimate si Mareng Winnie and it seems within the law naman ung sinisingil kay Manny (http://opinion.inquirer.net/66419/more-and-more-like-a-trapo).

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
  • Special Skills: kalabit penge gang , taga jumper ng kuryente , sipsip gas at mang-buriki ng bigas
Alam ko manny can apply US citizenship kasi he earns millions which means more tax deductable which is gustong gusto ng america

As long as your earning 1 million you can apply for it

diba dito sa US pinanganak anak ni Manny? is it possible na American Citizen yung anak nya?

bodieph

• Gold Staff
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 332
Alam ko manny can apply US citizenship kasi he earns millions which means more tax deductable which is gustong gusto ng america

As long as your earning 1 million you can apply for it

diba dito sa US pinanganak anak ni Manny? is it possible na American Citizen yung anak nya?

yes sa US ang rule lang is if someone is born in US soil, citizen na siya. kaya nga ang daming mga mexicans dati na gustong gusto tumawid ng border and sa US manganak para ang anak nila is US citizen para later on pwede maging legal ang stay nila pero lately wala hindi umuubra yung ganun sa mga US court. but basically yeah, if you were born in US soil, US citizen ka

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
  • Special Skills: kalabit penge gang , taga jumper ng kuryente , sipsip gas at mang-buriki ng bigas
yes sa US ang rule lang is if someone is born in US soil, citizen na siya. kaya nga ang daming mga mexicans dati na gustong gusto tumawid ng border and sa US manganak para ang anak nila is US citizen para later on pwede maging legal ang stay nila pero lately wala hindi umuubra yung ganun sa mga US court. but basically yeah, if you were born in US soil, US citizen ka

Ok so since Manny's child were US citizen , is it possible na kelangan mag bayad ni Manny ng tax dito sa US? Although sa pinas sila naka tira

BlueAlphaZero

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 213
  • We would like you to know a few things.
Custodite fideliter quod quae credita est fideliter ad vos.

kobeyaki

• 2009 Cavaliers
  • Active - Three Stars
  • Karma 27
kung greencard holder na siya maaari nga siya madisqualify as has been the case of marinduque congresswoman regina reyes.

kenji_kulet

• 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 461
narinig ko P-1 Visa daw ang papers ni Manny dito sa US , narinig ko sa 24 oras

ano yung P-1??  ???