Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Philippine Government 'Paralyzed' by Typhoon Aftermath | ABC News  (Read 1541 times)

bouya harumichi

• "i only fight with people who look stronger than me! Else i can't burn!"
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 76
  • Real Men Need To Stand Out
Excerpt from : http://ph.m.yahoo.com/w/ygo-frontpage/lp/story/ph/55041/coke.bp%3B_ylt=A2KL8wqxgYRSRFYADySVYCU5%3B_ylu=X3oDMTFxM3BxMGFsBGNwb3MDNwRjc2VjA21vYmlsZS10ZARpbnRsA3BoBHBrZwNpZC01NTA0MQRwb3MDMgRzbGsDdGl0bGU-?ref_w=frontdoors&view=today&.tsrc=yahoo&.intl=ph&.lang=en-ph

REPORTER'S NOTEBOOK

MANILA - There are signs here in thePhilippine capitalthat thegovernmentsimply cannot handle the massive challenges the country faces in the wake of Typhoon Haiyan.

Villeamor Airbase - home of thePhilippine Air Forceand the mainstaging areafor relief flights to the disaster zone - seems to be operating at half-speed. There is no thrum of activity, no evidence that there's a real sense of urgency among thePhilippine troopshere. Every once in a while a civilian car pulls up and unloads a few boxes of goods some neighbors have collected. They put them on the sidewalk and drive away. A little while later, some Filipino troops (or reporters) move them inside. No method. No organization. It's as if an earthquake hit southern California and Vandenburg or Nellis AFB were quiet and half-populated.

The U.S. Marines have swung into action, certainly. But there are just 215 of them right now, and they must coordinate with thePhilippine government. As one high-ranking officer told me here about the host government, "They're paralyzed."

An Israeli Foreign Ministry official confirmed that impression privately to me. The Israeli team is here to assess what their country can contribute and where. Over the years, Israel has developed excellent field hospital capabilities that they've brought to disasters in Haiti and elsewhere.

But the Israelis, too, need to coordinate with the Philippine government. "When we ask them what they need, they tell us to talk to the Americans," the official said.

And then early today, about 5 a.m. local time, we went to what we were told was a major relief staging area at theNational Resource Operations Center. No one was there. Repeat: No one was there. A few pallets of water were on the ground. A couple of dogs barked at us. We were told everyone else had gone home for the night.

Now, of course, this is one day's view of a bit of the huge effort beginning here. And the sheer scale of this catastrophe would overwhelm the governments of the most advanced and wealthiest countries. Superstorm Sandy revealed that in the U.S. And the Philippine government is still reeling from the 7.2 magnitude earthquake last month.

Still, there is what seems like a strange lethargy and lack of direction on the ground here. They need to fix that.

"If you don't know defeat, it's just because you have only ever been picking on people that weaker than yourselve. There's a word for that: embarrassing!"

MiKeDaCuTe

• Laking Beer Brand!!!
  • 2007 Bravehearts
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 159
  • Kung Kaya ng Iba, Ipagawa mo sa Kanila...
Re: Philippine Government 'Paralyzed' by Typhoon Aftermath | ABC News
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2013, 03:55:30 am »
dapattalaga stateofemergency na...

yungisang postmo paulit ulit yungisang postmo paulit ulit

etonaman dikitdikit  ::laffman

bouya harumichi

• "i only fight with people who look stronger than me! Else i can't burn!"
  • Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 76
  • Real Men Need To Stand Out
Re: Philippine Government 'Paralyzed' by Typhoon Aftermath | ABC News
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2013, 04:49:50 am »
dapattalaga stateofemergency na...

yungisang postmo paulit ulit yungisang postmo paulit ulit

etonaman dikitdikit  ::laffman

Hahaha.. dko ngarin alam eeeh ::lmao
"If you don't know defeat, it's just because you have only ever been picking on people that weaker than yourselve. There's a word for that: embarrassing!"