Need Help? Contact the Espiya Helpdesk. CLICK HERE

Author Topic: Diet for Gym Goers  (Read 10071 times)

☺☻JDC™

• Gold Member (Premium)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 179
  • "pag ako gahhh!!!!" ika nga ng nawala kong mamay.
Diet for Gym Goers
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:05:59 am »
Exercise is the finest way to stay fit. The people who exercise regularly are protected from a myriad of diseases. But what you eat before and after exercise also impacts your health and wellness. Eating the right foods at the right time can have positive effects on your body and mind. Diet is so essential to this combination that often it can ruin the benefits of an otherwise good exercise regimen. A fitness program is nothing without a full fledged nutrition plan to support it.

Pre- and post-workout nutrition supply all the nutrition that the body needs. During the workout session, your body goes through tremendous pressure and uses its nutrients to convert them into energy. If it is short of nutrients in the first place, the chances of a person fainting are higher. That is where pre- workout nutrition comes into picture. Once the workout session is over, your body is in desperate need of nutrition. If it doesn't get it, it may result in extreme fatigue or even muscle burnout. Post workout nutrition makes sure that your body gets those nutrients when it needs it.

Each and every body is different and has different nutritional requirements depending on the type, intensity and duration of exercise. Also, age, sex, BMR (basal metabolic rate) and genetics play role to some extent. So obviously, every nutrition program needs to be customized according to one's requirement. However, there are certain things to be taken care of and these tips will remain true and useful to everyone even though they may have different bodies and different goals.

The pre-exercise food prevents hunger during exercise. Eating a high carbohydrate snack two hours before exercising can leave you with ample energy and a calm stomach for a great workout. These pre-workout meals will allow you to have increased muscle strength, better endurance, give you increased energy, better pumps, burn more calories and improve your concentration.

Why eat before a Workout?

Before a workout, eat something light, as well as balanced. It's also wise to choose foods high in fiber as it's more digestible, giving you an easier workout. Some suggestion can be:

- Fruit or vegetable juice such as orange, sweet lime, carrot etc.
- Fresh fruit such as apples, watermelon, grapes or oranges.
- Sports drink
- Sandwiches (Preferably Brown bread)
- Energy bar
- Cereal with milk
- Boiled Egg

What NOT to eat?

Any foods with a lot of fat can be very difficult and slow to digest and remain in the stomach for a long time. They also will pull blood into the stomach to aid in digestion, which can cause cramping and discomfort.

What to eat after a Workout?

Simply put, aside from water (which you should already know you need) your post workout meal needs to contain 2 things, Protein and carbs.

Some suggestions can be:

- Dried fruit and nuts
- Fruit OR Vegetable juice along
- Sandwiches (preferably brown bread)with Chicken
- Veggie omelet with toast or roll
- Chocolate milk
- Cereal with milk
- Eggs and toast
- A protein or energy bar
- A protein or energy shake

What NOT to eat after a Workout?

You should NOT be eating fat. Fat slows down digestion. It would also be slowing down the digestion of Protein and Carbs that you had after the work out. This is the exact opposite of what you want to happen.

Source: http://www.myfitness.co.in/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=54%3Adietforgym&catid=34%3Acontent-demo&Itemid=60

ONEP1ECE.MCMXCIII

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 40
  • Action Speaks Louder Than Words :))
Re: Diet for Gym Goers
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 08:21:51 am »
OT: at ginawa mo pa talagang signature yung balbas mo sir JDC :D
sa personal na kayo magpa autograph :3

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:11:47 pm »
Great guide TS.

Pre-workout:

Since I don't drink coffee, I usually drink a concoction of melted cacao tablea (unsweetened).
I usually prefer working out on a fasted state or an empty stomach. That way I burn stored fat as fuel.
Not really a fan of carbs pre workout since It just makes me sleepy.
If I predict its going to be an intense workout I take some complex carbs (purple yams, sweet potatoes, brown rice) normally 2-3 hours before.

Post-workout:

I shy away from eating a lot of carbs at this point as the insulin spike will tell the body to go to fat storing mode and tend to wait at least a 30 mins to an hour before consuming carbs just to have the body continue burning fat.
A fruit, but best if a complex carb and a high protein meal, is beneficial at this point.

ONEP1ECE.MCMXCIII

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 40
  • Action Speaks Louder Than Words :))
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 02:16:38 am »

Not really a fan of carbs pre workout since It just makes me sleepy.

Ahhhh...yan po ba nagpapasleepy?
sa personal na kayo magpa autograph :3

CaptainCrunch69

• Mature (18+)
  • Active - Two Stars
  • Karma 378
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2013, 02:20:05 am »
Ahhhh...yan po ba nagpapasleepy?

Di naman. May ibang mas malakas Kung my pre-workout meal sila :) depende an same Tao :)

AndrewSturm

• Man Whore of the Year
  • 2008 Guardians
  • Active - Top Level
  • Karma 16
  • Man Whore
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 03:07:20 am »
Carbs generally make you sleepy, like how you yawn and decide to sleep in the couch after eating lunch. Also notice when you get that extra hyperness when you drink a cola, and then you crash afterwards.

Just a one of those articles you can chew on to give you an idea why. http://www.livestrong.com/article/530662-does-eating-carbs-make-you-sleepy/

Pierro7

• Active - Top Level
  • Karma 59
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2013, 03:28:51 am »
Carbs generally make you sleepy, like how you yawn and decide to sleep in the couch after eating lunch. Also notice when you get that extra hyperness when you drink a cola, and then you crash afterwards.

Just a one of those articles you can chew on to give you an idea why. http://www.livestrong.com/article/530662-does-eating-carbs-make-you-sleepy/
or having a slice pizza. inaantok din ako  laffman::

salamat, JDC sa topic. start na ako ng gym eh.  toast::
A person becomes strong by accepting their fears.